cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1994 Safari Serengeti DP

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Long time class A gasser owner. Looking at this DP. Seems nice and within my 20k budget. Opinions? Oshkosh chassis I believe.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/rvs/d/orangevale-1994-safari-serengeti-diesel/7226736317.html
7 REPLIES 7

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
That's way below the prices I've seen. You did very well.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2000 Sahara in excellent condition inside, 2 year old tires, really good outside, working diesel generator, 1 year old air conditioners, new flooring, roof sealed 6 months ago. Paid $13K. (just giving you a reference)
The only surprises after I bought it were a fuse that rusted in the slideout system (grrrr) and now I found an electrical issue in the engine (corroded cable somewhere).
If you have Hydraulic over Hydraulic brakes plan on new front calipers and pads.
The build quality is way better than most of the other comparable coaches.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
William Willard wrote:
The generator is probably propane powered -- Make sure it runs good -- It`s not easy to find someone to work on them -- I think the Safari would be a good choice for a first time DP -- Not near as complicated as later models, & they are well built -- William Willard

The generator hadn't been run in three years and wasn't working. The owner inherited the RV and didn't really know much about it. It was in generally good shape. The motor ran great, jacks worked. Carpet and cabinetry were good. Paint and exterior good. I wasn't feeling it though. It's important to me, and especially my wife that it feels like a place we'd like to hang out in. I wasn't getting that from this coach and my wife would even less so. Nice platform, strong runner, needs generator work...but not for me. I appreciate the comments. I always pick up valuable info here.

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
The generator is probably propane powered -- Make sure it runs good -- It`s not easy to find someone to work on them -- I think the Safari would be a good choice for a first time DP -- Not near as complicated as later models, & they are well built -- William Willard

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a 93 Safari with the Oshkosk Chassis -- The Safari was built very good -- However the turning radius of the Oshkosh was not very good-- The brakes are hydraulic, not air -- Probably no engine brakes & no air bags -- Rough riding - The good thing is you will have no air leaks, because there is no air system on the coach -- The paint Safari used was the best on the market & the sides are aluminum -- Cabinet work is great -- Over all we liked the Safari -- Had it for two years & traded it for a 96 Safari -- The hydraulic brakes was not a problem -- The 96 also had hydraulic brakes but it had a Magnum Chassis -- The 300 Cummins engine is mechanical & that`s not a bad thing either -- That it for a test drive, & pay attention to the turning radius -- That`s really the only thing we had a problem with -- Bill Willard

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the day I thought seriously about one of those rigs. They were very well built and had a good reputation. I would want to know about the genie, the jacks system, and engine maintenance records.
That, and if it has sat out in the sun for years on end.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/rvs/d/orangevale-1994-safari-serengeti-diesel/7226736317.html
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/