cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I get a new Tow Vehicle or a Bigger Gas Tank?

DougA
Explorer
Explorer
After driving to up and down the east coast from Maine to Alabama a couple of times, I've decided that my wife and I don't need a bathroom nearly as often as our truck needs gas. Our TV's gas tank is only 20 gallons. It's a 2019 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab 4WD with a 4 liter engine and 5 speed automatic. We pull the smallest, lightest Grand Design trailer they've made: an 18RBE Imagine XLS that weighs, fully loaded with fresh water for dry camping and all our stuff, 5,700 pounds, while the Frontier is rated to tow 6,100. Since there is only a generator, fuel, my wife, me and the dog in the TV, the truck carries only 930 pounds, well under its 1,360 payload capacity. We are safe, but we often get down to about 1/8 of a tank at around 150 miles. I am lucky if the rig gets 10 MPG, sometimes its only 7 - 9.

Obviously I could get a half ton truck with a bigger tank. I've looked at the Ford F-150, the Ram 1500, and the Toyota Tundra. The Nissan Titan and Titan XD have small tanks and lousy mileage. I don't trust Ford's turbos. I have been watching a mechanic friend working on one that's got 110,000 miles. He's skeptical of high mileage reliability and engine parts are expensive. He says for most reliability, stick with a Tundra, an F-150 5.0 gasser (or 3.0 diesel). He also likes the new Ram 1500 3.0 Ecodiesel and the mighty 5.7 Chrysler hemi.

Much to my annoyance, it seems that to get the maximum tow capacity from a half ton, I have to order it. I have not been able to find either a new or low mileage truck that has the special axle ratio for maximum towing linked up to either a diesel or a V-8 gaser with a 30+ gal tank. Special ordering one that I like is a minimum of $42,000, plus untold taxes, fees and whathaveyou...

The other option? Swap out the Frontier's 21 gallon tank for a 38 gallon tank. This would cost $2,300 (delivered from California and installed here). Yikes!

The way I see it:

Pros of New Tank/keep the Frontier:
- Frontier has 35,000 miles, lots of life left.
- Frontier is as reliable as a wood stove
- Frontier keeps up with traffic even on the steepest highways. It only revs up to 5,500 (redline is about 6,500). Even using cruise control.
- Frontier is big enough but not intimidating to wife and family when they drive it.
- I don't have to buy $1,000 of new snow tires.
- $2,000 is a lot less than a new or even a used truck.
- 38 gallons of gas means range of 260 (@7 MPG) to 380 (@10 MPG) miles.
- Frontier is safely towing the trailer now. Why get a new truck?
- I figure that my modified Frontier will get slightly better range than any of the V-8s, even with their larger optional tanks. The best V-8 is the Ram at about 350, the Frontier would be 380.

Points for buying a half ton:
- The Ford and Ram diesels, even with their smaller 26 gallon tanks get better range than the Frontier, especially the Ram diesel.
-- Non towing mileage would be much better with either diesel, especially the Ram, and this is about 60% of the time.
- More comfortable ride, torque and power. The Frontier has to rev up to 5,500 to keep up on the steeps. To say its loud is an understatement.
- A bigger tank in the Frontier adds +130 pounds towards the back of the truck, and I don't know how it would affect performance. (note the spare tire is not relocated.)
- Adding 18 gallons of gas and heavier steel tank weight to Frontier would cut the margin for safety for both tow and payload by at least 100 pounds.
- The half tons can tow and carry about a third more than the Frontier can, increasing the safety margin.

So there you have it... get a bigger truck or bigger gas tank in the current one?
Doug & Patti & Puppy Leo
From Upstate New York
48 REPLIES 48

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DougA wrote:
Well, the answer was a 21 Ram Big Horn 1500 Eco Diesel with 3.92 gears and optional larger tank. Tows like a dream.

Well thatโ€™ll doo the job nicely. Congrats on the new truck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DougA
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the answer was a 21 Ram Big Horn 1500 Eco Diesel with 3.92 gears and optional larger tank. Tows like a dream.
Doug & Patti & Puppy Leo
From Upstate New York

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
How is it after a little use?
The Frontier was the world's most reliable truck, but you were def maxing it out and 7mpg is horrible.
What mpg do you get now towing the same?

7-9 MPG towing with gas is pretty standard. You get the low end with lots of hills and or headwind involved.

The high end in more ideal circumstances, obviously.

I had a 5.7L K1500 Suburban 3.73 gears, pulling my camper. 7-9mpg

Upgraded to a 7.4L K2500 Suburban 4.10 gears, same body style, same camper. 7-9mpg

The new truck gets worse gas mileage unloaded (at least 2mpg less highway). But pulling the trailer it is pretty much the same and does a much better job.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
How is it after a little use?
The Frontier was the world's most reliable truck, but you were def maxing it out and 7mpg is horrible.
What mpg do you get now towing the same?

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
wintersun wrote:

Diesel provides greater fuel economy but the total cost of ownership is double that of a gas powered vehicle.

After owning both I fail to see the dbl the cost. A couple fuel filters is all thats different. The better mpg's of a diesel will cover that.
Oil changes on new diesels are longer than gas. Syn oil for gas trucks is not cheap.

All other maintenance is the same.

Highly depends on the engine, and its failure rate.

Compare a 6.4 PSD, vs a 5.4 or 6.8 Triton for 300k miles, the diesel can easily double the cost. Major failures are when, not if. Most repairs cost as much as an entire used 5.4 longblock.

A late Cummins 5.9? Your ownership is probably lower than a Hemi / V10. Of course, we can go the other extreme, some BMW / Mercedes / Jaguar engine can match a 6.4 PSD in repair costs.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it's possible, my Dodge uses fuel filter that my Hyundai doesn't. The tires are much bigger, the air filter is more costly, differential fluid that the car doesn't have. Brakes are a bit higher,

So my annual maintenance for the Hyundai is about $35, and the Dodge is about double that at about $85. So yeah, maintenance costs are about double.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with it. They do make the longer trips way easier.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:

Diesel provides greater fuel economy but the total cost of ownership is double that of a gas powered vehicle.

After owning both I fail to see the dbl the cost. A couple fuel filters is all thats different. The better mpg's of a diesel will cover that.
Oil changes on new diesels are longer than gas. Syn oil for gas trucks is not cheap.

All other maintenance is the same.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:

Anybody really believe that?

DougA
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, my beautiful new EcoDiesel Ram arrived January 28. But, get this, it was put on the carrier without the manufacturer's statement of origin paperwork or any other paperwork either! My truck was given to a carrier in Michigan with nothing but the keyfob. Oh, and as an added bonus the dealer was being sold and couldn't transact anything for days after it arrived. But, while I couldn't take legal possession of the truck for nearly a week, we did manage to take for "test drives" and put 700 miles on it in four days. It was the most bizarre automotive purchase of my 59 years. Ordered in mid November, COVID delays, then dealer screwed up the initial order and had to reorder. He got an extra red ecodiesel as a result. He sold the other a few days after it arrived. Then this: on January 28 FCA tells me its built, and I'll get on about Feb 15. Within an hour, my dealer calls and says: "Doug your truck's here, but I can't give it to you yet." Say WHAT???!!!

Anyway we are in Texas now. 4,200 miles on the odometer. When towing at 65-70 MPG varies between 11 and 13, far better than the Frontier. Far more power and far steadier riding. When under hard acceleration its far, far quieter than the Frontier, and quieter than the 5.7 Hemi I had 8 years ago in the Durango (which I loved BTW). When towing the truck goes 350 miles when it reads 1/4 full, and that's as far as I've gone on a tank while towing. When not towing we are getting 25-30 MPG. We took a ride out yesterday along the Texas coast without towing. We went 200 miles at speeds of 60 to 80 MPH. The dash computer was telling me we got 31 mpg. Not believing it, I filled it up: it took 6 gallons. Quiet massive pulling power, MPG that's amazing and a nice toy: reverse steering system for backing up a trailer. We've also been on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore. Oh, on sand with the tires at only 20 psi, the mpg computer reads only 15 mpg. I've never calculated MPG while driving on sand, so I've no idea if this good or bad. So far we love it.
Doug & Patti & Puppy Leo
From Upstate New York

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
No aftermarket gas fuel tanks to replace the factory installed tanks, only diesel fuel tanks. Reason I bought a 3/4 ton with the diesel engine was that with the factory 36 gallon fuel tank I knew I would get at least 30% more miles per tank of fuel when towing, as in 11-13 mpg versus 6-8 mpg with a comparable gas engine in the same truck.

Larger factory gas tanks are available with the Ford and Ram 1500 class pickups along with V-6 engines. Toyota only provides a gas guzzling V-8 at this time although a very large fuel tank is standard. With Chevy you have no option for getting a larger gas tank and so I would not advise buying on of their trucks for towing unless you go for the diesel engine.

Diesel provides greater fuel economy but the total cost of ownership is double that of a gas powered vehicle. You have to decide if it is worth the expense or the added towing capacity is actually needed. More important to get the right gears and that usually means special ordering a pickup.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I get about 170 miles on a tank with my Tahoe and I start hunting for fuel. I tow at 55-60 MPH That that puts me over three hours of travel. I canโ€™t go much longer without a bathroom break and a stretch my legs break and walk around the rig and make sure everything is okay break.

Keep the frontier if it meets your needs, or get a Ram with the 3.6 Pentestar. That is a bullet proof motor.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

55-60mph and stopping every 170 miles? That sounds like torture to me! Maybe one day Iโ€™ll slow down enough to enjoy the drive.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee has been great. Not sure of the different size of fuel tanks, but mine is 24.6 gallons, and will go city driving easily 550 miles between tanks. Over 700 miles if I'm on the highway and stay around 70 MPH.

Towing my 3500ish pound Ranger boat, 19 MPG at 70 MPH.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
This coming from my username......DO NOT get the Eco diesel! in fact I would skip any small diesel. just too many issues with them that make them unreliable for a vacation vehicle.

Stick with a good reliable V8. I know you can get a 35 gallon tank in a Hemi. also the Eco Diesel can only be had with the small tank in the quad cab because the Def tank takes up the space of the larger fuel tank. you would have to get the crew cab for the larger tank.

As for going with a larger fuel tank, as long as one is made for the truck and the fit is perfect that can be a good way to go!

EDIT.....I see the OP ordered an EcoDiesel. Hopefully he gets a good one and has no issues. I wish him luck, he will need it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!