cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

filling fresh water tank

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all I am planning on one last trip out this year in our new rig. Its a open range lite 312bhs with rear docking station.The campground does not have full hookups so I have to fill up with water when I get there.I know how to fill ,there is a lever for city or fresh tank fill. How will I know when its full?
14 REPLIES 14

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding water quality/safety for your RV from unknown sources - you might want to consider carrying disinfecting Clorox ("regular" Clorox, with no laundry "additives" in it) along in the RV.

Check on the Internet to determine how much Clorox to add for disinfecting (not shocking the tank ... just disinfecting it) the size FW tank in your RV. Before putting the campground water into your FW tank, just measure out the oz. of Clorox required for the size of the tank and put that amount of Clorox into the tank inlet with a small measuring cup and funnel. By getting the amount just right, the water is safe and has very, very little - or no - chlorine taste or smell to it.

Doing this will ensure that the whole FW system (tank plus lines) in the RV stays safe to drink from, which is a good practice whether you drink out of the tank or not. If you do drink out of the RV's FW tank, by getting the amouunt of Clorox just right, the water will be both safe and have very, very little - or no - chlorine smell or taste to it.

For decades, we have been using this same method for the large FW storage tank that supplies our home from our well and spring.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we carry a full tank, you,ll never notice the difference.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We usually travel with 20-30% full. Generally there is no need to carry 500lb of water. If you are worried about taste, take a good filter and check before filling.

Unlike the black and gray tanks, the fresh water sensors typically work fine. Unless you are pushing the length of time you can go on a tank, I don't like using the vent line to let me know it's full. The vent is often smaller than the inlet, so if the inlet is under good pressure, it can pressurize the tank. These tanks are not designed for that. If you are going to use that, I would throttle back on the water valve as you get near full.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, we also run with full fresh water "60 gal" regardless of hookups.....got use to soft water.

I've seen RVers completely block the campground while filling up at hydrant, would rather not be that guy.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The overflow will come pouring out of a vent somewhere on the trailer.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
yup, we always travel with a full water tank, full propane. Pull into campground, park, pull out the chairs, relax, have dinner, sit around the fire. Usually don't bother with water or electric hookup even if available till the next day or later.

and more than once we have pulled into a campground where water or electric was not in service, or we lost service with a storm , pump failure, power failure etc. those w/o water were in a world of discomfort, not us.

Oh, and we do drink the water from the fresh water tank.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always taste the faucet water before filling. Also travel with a full tank just in case. We carry some water bottles also just in case - knowing we could buy more bottles from whereever.

And then there is this year - about to leave for a week and have 7.5 gallons of bottled water. You know - just in case. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
Old biscuit is correct, if getting water from someplace your not familiar with, at least smell it first, sometimes it's not the best of water, I always drink bottled water on the road, got bad water once, stunk bad!!! Couldn't dump it quick enough.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fill before you leave.

We always travel with full fresh water tank
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThe campground does not have full hookups so I have to fill up with water when I get there.โ€

But if the CG water supply goes out, you are sunk. And how are you sanitizing the fresh water tank? Sanitize and fill the fresh water tank at home.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
All tanks have a overflow line which is also how air enters the tank as it empties.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
You can watch your gauge or it will come out of the overflow when it is full.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Usually there is an overflow valve. Water runs out onto the ground when the tank is full.