cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing a fridge.....

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
Do you do anything special when winterizing your TT? I plan on keeping my TT plugged in to keep my batteries charged, but should i clear out the fridge and shut it down?
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks Barney!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I am told that if the charger is only floating 13.6 volts that you can leave that on indefinitely. Check the voltage over fully charged batteries to see. Some might do much more. I had a charger from 1972 that put out 18 volts an dI never knew this until recently. Somehow the batteries, two marine, were fine and lasted as expected, but it was not always plugged in, just when I thought they needed topping off.

Always check the water level - every month or two (and same goes for your daily driver car). Use distilled water only in batteries. When the water gets below the lead plates then your batteries are in trouble.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
bacabunch wrote:
but should i clear out the fridge and shut it down?

Yes. Empty it, dry it out, leave the doors open so mold doesn't grow in it over the winter.

Agreed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have a look in the full time forum here:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24160748.cfm
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:

Whatโ€™s the thoughts on leaving plugged in with a Charge Wizard?
Any negative experiences?
Snip...
Have had the camper plugged in with (new this year) Charge Wizard and the charging / maintaining profile as stated in the literature seems like itโ€™s well suited to just leave plugged in.

My trailer is 16 years old, and came from the factory with a Progressive Dyanamics converter and has the Charge Wizard that I installed myself 15 years ago and has been plugged in 24/7 just about every day for the past 12 years. I am on my 2nd set of batteries (Have two) and they are about 5 years old now but still going strong. The Charge Wizard is just that - a wizard. It does the job exactly as advertised and well worth the $25 or or so it cost to add to the converter. New ones come with it automatically.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
Be careful. Some built in chargers will boil the batteries. Best thing to do is attach a battery maintainer. Disconnect the negative cable and put the clamps on the posts. Maintainers will keep the batteries charged without cooking them.

actualy the best thing to do is upgrade your built in charger so your not boiling it in the winter or summer.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bacabunch wrote:
but should i clear out the fridge and shut it down?

Yes. Empty it, dry it out, leave the doors open so mold doesn't grow in it over the winter.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sorry, see thereโ€™s a battery thread right here too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
AJR wrote:
Dodge Guy is right. Every new to me camper I test to see what the converter does. Only bought one Charge Wizard so far.

Topped off the batteries twice this year.

One more time. Leave the fridge doors open.

Whatโ€™s the thoughts on leaving plugged in with a Charge Wizard?
Any negative experiences?
I routinely maintain other batteries with maintainers. Sometimes plugged in for months at a time, sometimes rotated between machines. Boat batteries have stayed plugged in virtually year round on a Pro Mariner charger / maintainer. Last set of AGMs lasted 10 years.

Have had the camper plugged in with (new this year) Charge Wizard and the charging / maintaining profile as stated in the literature seems like itโ€™s well suited to just leave plugged in.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turn the Fridge off.

Fully charge the battery bank.

Disconnect the battery bank.

Charge for 24 hours once per month.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Fridge basics...off and doors open.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge Guy is right. Every new to me camper I test to see what the converter does. Only bought one Charge Wizard so far.

Topped off the batteries twice this year.

One more time. Leave the fridge doors open.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
plugged in year round ,but during the winter we empty,clean ,leave doors open

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful. Some built in chargers will boil the batteries. Best thing to do is attach a battery maintainer. Disconnect the negative cable and put the clamps on the posts. Maintainers will keep the batteries charged without cooking them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!