cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weak headlights

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 88 Coachmen Classic and I wonder if the is an HID headlamp option for the old sealed headlamp style. Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Check this out. Best site I have found for headlight upgrade info. I had LEDs on my Tundra, and HIDs on my old S2000, and on my GMC. The HIDs are better IMHOP, but LEDs are not far behind. Either is an amazing upgrade.

Some existing headlight buckets are not the best for focusing light, so beware of purchasing something that will blind oncoming drivers. Ideally it may be better (but more costly) to upgrade the whole headlight assembly.

These guys have tons of videos covering testing of almost any option out there.

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Teleman wrote:
Found some LED replacement headlamps on Amazon. We'll see how it goes!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Found some LED replacement headlamps on Amazon. We'll see how it goes!

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Look here for info and parts

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Ray

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
:S

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I will definitely explore these options.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely get the HIDs. Go to The Retrofit Source and see if anything fits your headlight type. I made a set of HIDs for my 2002 Grand Prix that were 10000% better than stock. Just make sure they are aimed properly....

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
First step, IMHO, would be check the voltage at the headlamp using the same ground and power path. I have found corroded connections in the wiring (often on ground side) can cause a dim lamp.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
First check the voltage at the headlight terminals. It is probably less than what's at the battery. Most vehicles use a too small wire that goes through the headlight switch down to the lights which results in a lower voltage at the lights due to the amp draw from the lights. The best option is to add a relay so the wires from the headlight switch go to the relay that you mount near the lights. Then run a larger gauge wire to that relay then to the light. That will give you a higher voltage and more amps at the light which will give more light.
If that isn't enough then you could change the lights to better ones and will still have higher voltage at the lights.
Do a search for this upgrade.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
LED is a better option. Do some research to see how each LED is made. Some put the LED right where the filament would be which gives it the same beam. Others put multiple LEDs which throws off the beam and then you just have a bright light with no actual beam. If you have the old square glass halogen/sealed beam bulbs you can buy new housing that take H series bulbs that you can put the LEDs in.

Something like this.

Headlamp option
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Look for the DOT numbers molded into the lens and google to see what they actually came off of. Work from there. There are brighter bulbs available for most headlight assemblies at Autozone or O'Reilleys.