Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MaxxAir II Vent Covers - Installation

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello--
I had 4 MaxAirII vent covers installed about 9 months ago by a VERY reputable local RV repair shop. Shop has been in business since 1958. They've done work for me over the last 20 years and it has always been top notch work with fair prices.

At the same time as vent cover install, I also had the entire roof washed with conditioner and resealed all roof protrusions. Shop used Dicor lap sealant for all roof resealing. Roof is 12 years old with many black dots all over where white has rubbed off. Shop said roof would need to be completely coated in the next 1-2 years as more black spots appear indicating white material is degrading which is normal for an EPDM roof.

After speaking with them about the vent install, I asked how my vents were installed. He explained that the mounting brackets are screwed directly to roof. I asked why would additional holes be added to roof making for potential leaks. He said the screw holes are all sealed with same Dicor lap sealant used to reseal all vents/holes. They have always installed them this way with zero problems (over 30 years). He said not to worry about leaks, just be sure to inspect roof 1-2 times per year and add lap sealant to areas as needed.

I mentioned that I had installed them personally in the past, to sides of the aluminum framed vent to avoid holes in the roof. He said that was another way to install but for shop to install that way would increase labor costs to customer (perhaps twice the labor hours).

Is screwing to roof a BAD way to install these vent covers? Nothing to do about it now since there were already installed.

I'm a worry-wart and this kind of stuff lingers in my mind.:?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
16 REPLIES 16

frisco_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Ahh...deltabravo- used your video as my guide to do my MaxxFan install back in Jan. Very nicely done, and helped tremendously.

Not sure why I waited so long to do the replacement of the OEM fan. that think is a pos. MaxxFan is wonderful.
2011 KZ Coyote 232SS
2011 Expedition 3.73

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Maxx Air II fans can be mounted to the vent housing or the roof as the dealer did. Also a Maxx air OEM fan has built in eyes in the bottom flange of the fan housing that the cover simply clips to with the snap pins, although when used OEM like that the cover ends up sticking into the sealant as its too close to the roof surface.

It all depends on the vent housing, with some and most of the newere plastic ones the supplied brackets when attached to the vertical sides of the vent housing will not line up properly for the snap pins.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Normally there are L shaped brackets screwed to the sides of the vent frame, and they stick out and the cover sits on and is screwed to them, the cover actually does not touch the roof and may sit off of it as much as a quarter inch. It they screwed it directly to the roof it was a half ass job and they threw away the parts kit and the instructions. Shop manager not paying attention to what is going on and people who don't know and don't care.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I would also be worried that they may have sealed the base of the new cover to the roof. They need to be able to drain any water that finds it's way inside the cover. If they screwed the base of the cover down to the roof, they may have put a bead of dicor down first. THAT would be a problem.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
What's done is done. I don't like holes in roof if not needed. These were not needed, but they are there. With proper maintenance, they will NOT leak, just like all the other MUCH LARGER holes in the roof 12"x12" vents, plumbing vents, antennas, etc. that will NOT leak if properly maintained. Plus my rig is under a metal carport that I built especially for it....to protect t from the sun damage as it rarely rains in SoCal
Equal-i-zer 10K

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If it wasn't for the fact that there will be holes in the roof screwing down into the roof makes a better installation IMHO.
I have installed two sets of covers using the recommended brackets into the opening wall and there can be issues: the screws into the wall can come loose from the vibration of the overhung load of the cover and the bolts/nuts can come loose for the same reason. Those nuts/bolts should be checked on occasion. I've had them loosen. and the overhung load isn't the greatest idea for an RV that bounces around like ours does.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I've installed vent covers - and the directions always say to screw into the vent frame. I'm about to do that again ๐Ÿ™‚

But that being said - I just tore out a non-powered vent and replaced it with a Fantastic Fan. The good news/bad news: the Dicor used to install the original vent back in 1998, was STILL sticky/gooey (a true PITA to remove) and there was no sign of water intrusion anywhere. I have a LOT of faith in Dicor to keep things sealed up tight.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
I would not be happy with a dealer that put unnecessary holes in my roof. The hardware comes with the vents for a proper install.

Ditto.

I would not want the roof vents mounted directly to the roof. THe ones I've installed mount to the vent itself.

I went one step better on my last 3 RVs and used the Maxxfan Deluxe which I show in this installation video
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Thereโ€™s a saying. You want it done right...โ€. Easy stuff like that they will throw a kid on and thats what youโ€™ll get. Do it yourself if you want it done right. Probably a 30min job

Yep, when I bought a new trailer the kid installed a vent cover with no charge for labor. You can still see the imprints from his engineer boots. And of course I redid the half-a$$ed self-tapping screws they used.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s a saying. You want it done right...โ€. Easy stuff like that they will throw a kid on and thats what youโ€™ll get. Do it yourself if you want it done right. Probably a 30min job
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not be happy with a dealer that put unnecessary holes in my roof. The hardware comes with the vents for a proper install. The dealer or service manager should have asked for approval before doing a half a$$ed job. It likely won't leak, but made removal/replacement a future issue. IMO, if you bought the covers from them, they should not charge any labor, for that type install.

Jerry

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Wiscampsin wrote:
We've had 6 campers and I always mounted the vent covers directly to the aluminum frame of the fan. I can't see how his method would increase labor costs.

I believe increase would be to drilling through alum frame of vent, using through bolts with lock nuts and washers as opposed to simply running a screw into roof.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Obviously a shortcut by your RV shop that others have not noticed or complained about, it's quicker but not by much if they have installed these vent covers a few times in the past. Overall, it should not be an issue as long as upkeep on roof seals is performed biannually.

These rudimentary type of installs are performed by the lowest level service techs in most cases, where getting the job done quickly is there primary concern. Since the shop has a good reputation it would not be something I would lose sleep over.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Might depend on the type/yr of the replacement cover. The ones I have worked with don't require drilling the roof. At any rate - what's done is done and you have to live with what they have done. U should be OK with periodic checking of caulking/sealant.
Kevin