cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keystone Springdale vs. Gulf Stream Ameri Lite?

BrodyT
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I grew up with a Chinook motor home, but my husband and I are now purchasing our first RV, and have decided on a travel trailer for various reasons.

We like two in particular that fit our family's needs: the Keystone Springdale 240 BH and the Gulf Stream Ameri Lite 238 RK.

Reviews for both (and almost every trailer we look up) are very mixed, with "buyer beware" next to "we love this trailer" reviews in each case. Just looking for any input, and of course anticipating "neither" might be a popular answer. Thanks for any feedback.
8 REPLIES 8

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, as we have had both brands in the past.

We originally bought the Ameri-Lite but traded it back in to the same dealer after the one year warranty was up, it literally required a trip to the dealer for repairs after every outing. Flimsily built with undersized materials and insufficient fasteners. Hopefully they are better now. I would not consider buying another one.

We bought our Springdale in 2007, it initially had a couple issues which I fixed as they were not worth the 30 mile trip back to the dealer, one was a drip under the sink that just needed snugged up, then a couple of pieces of trim popped loose and needed a couple more brads. A couple of years later the bathroom GFI outlet failed. Other than those minor issues it was trouble free. Not a great trailer but a good value and put together as well as could be expected at that price point. I would consider buying another one.

These experiences are from several years ago and may not apply to today's products, but you asked and I felt compelled to respond.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Shopping for Travel Trailer

treyster
Explorer
Explorer
Are you buying new or used? We bought our 238RK new in 2016.

BrodyT
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies, everyone, much appreciated!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had my Springdale 15 years and it has served my family well. Not perfect but I think the newer Springdales are better. Yes I would buy one again.

I don't know anything about the Ameri Lite.

Bluejay_Ford
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 255bh Conquest Gulfstream for ten years and only had minor problems. I paid $15,000 for this unit back in 2010. For the price I was extremely happy with that purchase. Yes it helps if you’re handy because there is always something to fix. Last year I “traded up” for a 2019 26rbs Keystone Cougar. This time I spent over $30,000 and I have all of the same problems and more. It really bothered me that I spent twice a much for the Cougar and the workmanship was sub par. Don’t get me wrong I like my Cougar but I have fixed a ton of stuff on this unit. The bummer is my furnace sometimes malfunctions when it’s colder then 30 degrees outside. The reason I went with the Cougar was because it had a high payload and I like it’s features.
My advice is you buy what you can afford and the options you want. You will need to fix a few things no matter what. Most of these units have the same refrigerators, water heaters, axles, stoves, and furnaces. Just take care of it the best you can and hopefully you’ll get many happy memories out of it.

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Outdoor RV, Timber Ridge Line of TT. Made in La Grande, OR
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
After a complete inspection including the roof and underbelly and running every system before any money changes hands, buy the one that has the floor plan you like best. All RVs pretty much the same.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, trailers don't normally get 5-star reviews.
Materials used may be better than yesteryear but QC is lacking.

If you own tools and are fairly handy then the the issues that may or will arise are less painful.

Close friend of ours owns a Keystone Springdale and has only had minor issues.