cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
We own our own rv spot in Key Largo, Fl, but will be staying right here in the high country of NC until it is safe to go.
Our county here has only a total of five deaths and just a few hundred cases, while our county there has a few thousand cases.
It is a no brainer for us !

Guy
138 REPLIES 138

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
It's not God's given right for others to be careless and disregard science and the well-being of others.

Because of this so-called freedom and Liberty on the American continent there are now 850,000 dead human beings and the majority could have been avoided. It just shows us how God's given right really doesn't mean much when people couldn't just follow the rules for a few months, flatten the curve, maybe do without some minor luxuries or pleasures in the hopes that we as a race could survive this.

This is far from over. There have been over 15 major pandemics in history dating back to 438 B.C. and they have all ended the same, tragically and with millions of deaths. The planet is now in the millions zone for COVID deaths.

I posted two weeks ago about Friends and colleagues who have died from the virus. Since then, I have lost two people very close to me.

Based on history, we still have another year and a half before this is under control.

Be safe, don't be foolish and put your rights and liberties in the closet for the next year and concรฉntrate on keeping yourselves healthy and think about others. If we do this, this Will pass and we can get back to the things and people we love.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
gsk1140 wrote:
I personally would rather die on my feet than beg on my knees to pursue my God given rights to live freely and make my own decisions in my life.

Nice attitude in certain situations, but,
the world is full of people that make poor decisions.
So are the prisons. It's why laws are required.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Do you not understand how infectious this virus is, how there are so many things we don't yet know about long-term effects (long-haulers might be in for a terrible time down the road) and the need to do SIMPLE things like wearing a mask when out, washing hands for 20 seconds with soap and water or use sanitizer, wipe down surfaces that might be contaminate, closing establishments that foster close contact with large transmission rates (bars, churches, indoor rallies, weddings, meals with others not in your bubble), and stay away from others for a few more weeks. IF we had all done this starting last March, none of this would be necessary now!

I agree with all of this. From a virus' standpoint, Covid is the Mack Daddy - able to spread itself by not making its host feel sick - it doesn't get much better than that if you're a virus. Flu is jealous.

All that being said - we are in Florida right now, doing the same stuff we did in Michigan. As we suspected, the moment people couldn't be outdoors anymore in Michigan, the infection rate skyrocketed - it's worse than it is here in Florida. We eat at home - the only trip out of our neighborhood that we make, is a trip to the grocery (masked, of course) and we go to the dog park about once a week, where everyone is kind about social distancing. At least we don't have to shovel snow... self-imposed quarantine seems nice in the sunshine.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
gsk1140 wrote:
I've been following along reading peoples responses to this question. I am 60 years old and can't believe what I have seen in the last 10 months. All I can say is uh.... yeah.

I am not a product of this culture and neither are the majority of you. I personally would rather die on my feet than beg on my knees to pursue my God given rights to live freely and make my own decisions in my life.

And I agree - up to the point that your actions can kill me. At 75 & 76 we take this virus very seriously. And if you drive, you have seatbelts that you wear because it is the law to protect you and your passengers in case of a crash. You don't walk into a store that has a sign saying "no shirt, no shoes, no service" do you?

I don't need anyone to think for me or speak for me. I believe in what people do, not what they say. Everyone of you has the same right or at least I was raised to believe you do, to pursue whatever path you feel is best for you.

Yes we do - again, my 'rights' end when my actions could cause harm to another individual. Reason we don't condone drunk drivers - they kill other people!

I love the freedom of our RV

We all do. Do you not understand how infectious this virus is, how there are so many things we don't yet know about long-term effects (long-haulers might be in for a terrible time down the road) and the need to do SIMPLE things like wearing a mask when out, washing hands for 20 seconds with soap and water or use sanitizer, wipe down surfaces that might be contaminate, closing establishments that foster close contact with large transmission rates (bars, churches, indoor rallies, weddings, meals with others not in your bubble), and stay away from others for a few more weeks. IF we had all done this starting last March, none of this would be necessary now!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Monaramblee wrote:
Dying on your feet is fine but dont take us with you.. It amazes me the people who cry about their freedoms when asked to wear a mask while shopping. Seatbelts and helmets are ok but god forbid that i must wear something that protects someone other then myself.
back on topic....we wont be traveling anywhere during this pandemic but hope to resume as soon as its over.

^ THIS!!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Bad part, one of my stops at a friend's house is cancelled. They are fearing covid, and I respect their wishes.
Same here. We will miss our annual visits with friends along the way.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
gsk1140 wrote:
I've been following along reading peoples responses to this question. I am 60 years old and can't believe what I have seen in the last 10 months. All I can say is uh.... yeah.

I am not a product of this culture and neither are the majority of you. I personally would rather die on my feet than beg on my knees to pursue my God given rights to live freely and make my own decisions in my life.

I don't need anyone to think for me or speak for me. I believe in what people do, not what they say. Everyone of you has the same right or at least I was raised to believe you do, to pursue whatever path you feel is best for you.

I understand the issues on both side. I see what the demographic of this disease is, and those of us over 60 with underlying pre-existing conditions need to be more cautious. As a population, there is no surprise that the majority of our citizens are in poor health, due to the great abundance we have access to.

We lack discipline and are selfish when it comes to having what we want. Don't get me wrong. I would rather be in this position than those that live in other parts of the World that live in fear for the most basic needs every day. I have lived it and witnessed it, which has given me the perspective I have.

We are a proud and independent people, but we have lost sight of what brought us to this place. Get off your social media and your phones and enjoy what you have. All we are, are our experiences. I for one, want more good ones than bad.
Thanks for letting me share.

BRAVO!!!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
JJnLilly wrote:
We are still planning on heading south. We figure it is better to sit outside in the sunshine than be cooped up in the house. We will keep our distance and wear masks as we do here but need that vitamin D.

Us too. DW does not absorb Vit D from food. She needs the sunshine, and since I'm working from home...

Bad part, one of my stops at a friend's house is cancelled. They are fearing covid, and I respect their wishes.

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Early Nov, we dropped off the RV at our lot in Steinhatchee, FL and came back to the NC High Country for the holidays. Head back to FL for lots of fishing the first week of January. No way I'm staying in this dreary climate all winter!!
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Dying on your feet is fine but dont take us with you.. It amazes me the people who cry about their freedoms when asked to wear a mask while shopping. Seatbelts and helmets are ok but god forbid that i must wear something that protects someone other then myself.
back on topic....we wont be traveling anywhere during this pandemic but hope to resume as soon as its over.
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

gsk1140
Explorer
Explorer

I understand the issues on both side. I see what the demographic of this disease is, and those of us over 60 with underlying pre-existing conditions need to be more cautious. As a population, there is no surprise that the majority of our citizens are in poor health, due to the great abundance we have access to.

We lack discipline and are selfish when it comes to having what we want. Don't get me wrong. I would rather be in this position than those that live in other parts of the World that live in fear for the most basic needs every day. I have lived it and witnessed it, which has given me the perspective I have.

We are a proud and independent people, but we have lost sight of what brought us to this place. Get off your social media and your phones and enjoy what you have. All we are, are our experiences. I for one, want more good ones than bad.
Thanks for letting me share.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
We are still planning on heading south. We figure it is better to sit outside in the sunshine than be cooped up in the house. We will keep our distance and wear masks as we do here but need that vitamin D.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Conflicting emotions in our case. Our reservations can be cancelled but so far we haven't. If we go it will be as warm at home, if we stay home it will be the worst winter in NC in 300 years. The virus is the main issue, sitting in the 5er without going anywhere doesn't appeal to me.
The vaccine is so close it would be foolish to blow it now.
Puma 30RKSS