Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: F53 suspension upgrades
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> F53 suspension upgrades

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
G-Dad

Panama City Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcmac214 wrote:

I'd LOVE to see someone post photos of that CHF from before, each step of it, and after it's complete.

Look on iRV2.com. There is a stickey in the Ford chassis section with long discussions and photos

G-Dad

Panama City Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Henderson's radius rod sounds like a front track bar. You might have one if the you have a 18,000 lbs chassis. It's optional on the 16,000 lbs version. Easy to check. The attached image is looking front to back and the track bar is just above the front axle in the pic.

Henderson Kit has a radius rod for each side.
They mount longitudinally from the frame to the axle. Purpose is to keep the spring ends from moving front to back in the spring bushings. I have seen Bob Henderson show that movement

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Before I would spend any money on bolt-ons I would do the basics first. In other words load the coach exactly as it is when you travel with full fuel and fresh water(if you fill your tanks for travel), as well as food and clothing. Then have ALL four corner weighed and adjust your tire pressure according to the manufacturer's specs. The next would be to take it to an alignment shop, while the coach is still loaded for travel, that can deal with motor homes and get a front and rear axle alignment or a thrust angle alignment. Some shops will tell you that your rear axle is not adjustable when they DO NOT have the equipment available to set the trust angle on an RV chassis. It can be adjusted.
After you have done these things, and you still are not happy with the way the coach drives, then try some add-ons, one at a time.

Tell us how you adjust the rear thrust angle on a gas chassis with no provisions for adjustment? The spring hangers are bolted to holes in the frame, the spring draw bolt head aligns with a hole in the axle tube. There are no cams, no adjustable rods, etc.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Before I would spend any money on bolt-ons I would do the basics first. In other words load the coach exactly as it is when you travel with full fuel and fresh water(if you fill your tanks for travel), as well as food and clothing. Then have ALL four corner weighed and adjust your tire pressure according to the manufacturer's specs. The next would be to take it to an alignment shop, while the coach is still loaded for travel, that can deal with motor homes and get a front and rear axle alignment or a thrust angle alignment. Some shops will tell you that your rear axle is not adjustable when they DO NOT have the equipment available to set the trust angle on an RV chassis. It can be adjusted.
After you have done these things, and you still are not happy with the way the coach drives, then try some add-ons, one at a time.

Tell us how you adjust the rear thrust angle on a gas chassis with no provisions for adjustment? The spring hangers are bolted to holes in the frame, the spring draw bolt head aligns with a hole in the axle tube. There are no cams, no adjustable rods, etc.

Richard

Glad I'm not the only one. I do alignments daily. Rarely is the solid rear axle out of alignment. If it were it's very minor. Anything more and something is bent.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Richard

The rear axle is attached to the springs with U-bolts that can be loosened to allow the axle to be moved as necessary to get it in to perfect alignment. You don't move the springs but the rear axle itself can be moved. Here is a link to Brazels which gives some details on the services they offer. There are other alignment shops that have the ability to give a gas or a diesel pusher RV a 4 wheel alignment. Brazels 4 wheel alignment on a gas chassis
Here is another link: FMCA alignment
Here is another place that can do the alignment as can any shop that has Hunter equipment designed for thrust angle alignment: Hendersons
Another place: Sunshine Service

* This post was last edited 10/21/20 08:39am by rgatijnet1 *   View edit history

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Richard

The rear axle is attached to the springs with U-bolts that can be loosened to allow the axle to be moved as necessary to get it in to perfect alignment. You don't move the springs but the rear axle itself can be moved. Here is a link to Brazels which gives some details on the services they offer. There are other alignment shops that have the ability to give a gas or a diesel pusher RV a 4 wheel alignment. Brazels 4 wheel alignment on a gas chassis
Here is another place that can do the alignment as can any shop that has Hunter equipment designed for thrust angle alignment: Hendersons

No! The rear axle is located on the springs with pins. If the axle can be moved then it is unsafe and shouldn’t be driven. Axles need the pins to properly locate the axle. Other wise it would move on the spring under acceleration or braking. And the u bolts are not strong enough to keep it from moving.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Richard

No! The rear axle is located on the springs with pins. If the axle can be moved then it is unsafe and shouldn’t be driven. Axles need the pins to properly locate the axle. Other wise it would move on the spring under acceleration or braking. And the u bolts are not strong enough to keep it from moving.

Even after giving a bunch of links to talk with someone that do alignments for a living, there are still some people that are stuck in the past that do not believe there is any possible way to adjust axles that they believe cannot ever be changed. Some people keep up with the times and understand that modifications can be made for very little money that allows an alignment tech to adjust the rear axle to obtain perfect alignment without compromising any safety issues. Here is a picture of one mod that actually creates "pins" that are adjustable. Anyone that thinks that a straight axle that is 12-20 feet behind the front axle is in perfect alignment when it leaves the factory needs to go back to school. As I mentioned, the shops that tell you it cannot be adjusted/aligned just do not have the equipment to do it so they come up with all kinds of "excuses" to convince you it is impossible. Note that the picture is from 2009. This is not NEW tech.
[image]

* This post was edited 10/21/20 12:28pm by rgatijnet1 *

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

links don't work. and yes the factory puts the chassis together within spec, the only way it would change is from worn parts or an accident. I`ve seen some of the fixes out there, some good, some not so good. like the nylon shims that go behind the wheel bearing on a rear beam axle of a front wheel drive car to fix a toe/camber issue. I refuse to work with stuff like that!

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Richard

Glad I'm not the only one. I do alignments daily. Rarely is the solid rear axle out of alignment. If it were it's very minor. Anything more and something is bent.

Thanks for jumping in dodge guy. I spent 11 of my younger years in the alignment business and still do alignment service on a call in basis and that patch shown by rgatijnet1 is just that, a patch. If the rear on our gas coaches needs adjustment then there are other problems also. Sure glad the non-professionals keep up professionals in line. [emoticon]

Richard

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard,
I gave links to PROFESSIONAL RV alignment shops that have equipment you have probably never touched. Just because you have never worked in a well equipped shop is no reason to try to discredit shops that have an outstanding reputation in the RV world. Perhaps you guys should stick with small vehicles and leave the
RV's and trucks to the PROFESSIONALS. Even the FMCA link mentioned how the rear axle can be adjusted on a gas coach but I'm sure that you and Dodge guy have years of experience back when a lot of things were not possible. Time marches on and has left the two of you behind.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> F53 suspension upgrades
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.