cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rut Roh....Water heater bypass valve kaput?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
So went to winterize this afternoon and wouldn't ya know it, the water heater bypass valve wasn't bypassing cuz antifreeze was going into heater! UGH! Doing some research, it's one of those Thetford 90* red handled valves which don't seem to have a seller reputation. Seems to be a HOT commodity cuz no-one has one. If I strike out tomorrow, may just jerry rig a temp bypass so I can get it done, cuz she's supposed to be going into storage by end of week.

Any suggestions otherwise?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
8 REPLIES 8

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
ACZL wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Since you have the lines off an easy way to check for the check valve is to stick a screw driver in the top connection of the water heater. If it hits something solid the check valve is there. If you only have one valve the check valve needs to be there and be operating to winterize.
See this video Replace RV check valve

Will the check valve be on the hot water line or cold? I removed the cold one only and didn't find one as I mentioned above. Sadly, because I am in a rush situation, I had to do the Camco temp bypass line (attaches to both hot/cold lines to water tank). Was able to get the rig filled w/ antifreeze yet not hot water tank. Did rinse it out good as it did have AF in it. Put everything back together and "mouse proofed" it so it's all set to go tmrw into storage barn. I will however, have to take things back apart in spring to re-do what I did this week. Upon doing so, I will take more time on water tank to check for valves and replace in need be.

It will be on the top/hot out line.
How it works - Your single valve will be on the cold in line. Turning the valve stops the water from going into the bottom of the water heater and forces it into the bypass line. The bypass line connects directly to the top/hot out line from the water heater. The check valve is attached directly to the tank on this line. When it is operating correctly, water can only flow one direction. Out of the water heater.
These check valves commonly fail. I'm on my 3rd one in 10 years. When mine fail the valve comes out of the body and into the water line and blocks all hot water flow. My temp fix while camping is to open up the line and remove that piece. Put the line back together and everything functions again until I get a new check valve. It is possible the prior owner did the same thing and never got back to replacing the check valve.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Since you have the lines off an easy way to check for the check valve is to stick a screw driver in the top connection of the water heater. If it hits something solid the check valve is there. If you only have one valve the check valve needs to be there and be operating to winterize.

Will the check valve be on the hot water line or cold? I removed the cold one only and didn't find one as I mentioned above. Sadly, because I am in a rush situation, I had to do the Camco temp bypass line (attaches to both hot/cold lines to water tank). Was able to get the rig filled w/ antifreeze yet not hot water tank. Did rinse it out good as it did have AF in it. Put everything back together and "mouse proofed" it so it's all set to go tmrw into storage barn. I will however, have to take things back apart in spring to re-do what I did this week. Upon doing so, I will take more time on water tank to check for valves and replace in need be.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Hike, sorry for the late reply as I tore apart all the access panels and id remove the cold water line and did not find a valve you mentioned, just a fitting the line connects to which also crews into the tank. Course the dang thing is on back side of heater, so could not get a real good looksie . Sad part is, I'm kinda under the gun to get things done as it's supposed to be going into storage this Fri. At the very least, I did see where Camco markets a product where you disconnect both lines at water heater, attached the bypass line to each water line and......WOHLAA, a temp bypass.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to add here But just gotta say That's funny RUT ROH! I have a Scooby Doo T shirt that says that and my sister has Astro from the Jetsons saying that too and everybody cracks up when they see our shirts :B
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
hilke40 wrote:
If you have the single handle to by pass , that is probably not your problem. When they went to the single handle bypass method, they put a one way check valve on the top line of water heater. It is letting water back into heater, which it should not be doing. They are around ten bucks and just screw off, after you remove the water line.

What he said.

hilke40
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the single handle to by pass , that is probably not your problem. When they went to the single handle bypass method, they put a one way check valve on the top line of water heater. It is letting water back into heater, which it should not be doing. They are around ten bucks and just screw off, after you remove the water line.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Can you just use a Pex valve from your local Lowe’s, Home Depot or Menards?