Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quality of Forest River

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings again,

Today I installed a 20amp inlet to take advantage of the extra electricity at the park. While working inside the bathroom sink cabinet I was shocked (well not exactly) to find that the manufacture left gaping holes in the floor to the basement.

There are probably several options to filling the gap but I'm interested to see what your ideas are? Thank you in advance.

Image1

Image2
Scott D - Desert Storm Veteran
33 REPLIES 33

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
The large holes are pretty standard Amish craftsmanship. Cut two pieces of plywood, sheetmetal or strong plastic with half a hole in each, then fasten them around the pipes. Seal any remaining gaps with the sealant of your choice.

^^^^

This. Hardly brand specific.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 forest river stealth is downright dangerous. My roof truss around the skylight area was not screwed together. I noticed it sagging. Unfortunately its the only truss I have access too. So many staves completely missed in that small 3x3 foot section. Have to assume the entire roof has errors.

My spare tire gets secured to a sharp pointy piece of metal that stabbed a hole right through the sidewall.

The used the wrong sealant on my windows. I have self leveling sealing dripping 1-2 feet down every single window.

Every cut they made that I can see is horrible. It's a toyhauler and the strap down anchors have 4 wood screws and most are stripped.

Oh...the water heater. The water heater was only attached on 1 side. It started to vibrate it's way out of the side of the trailer. They literally screwed the water heater into foam. As you can guess those screws did not hope.

Its never ending failure. Dont care if they change ownership or build some new factory. Never ever ever ever in my life would I recommend forest river.

Previous owners gave me all the paperwork. They had tons of failures as well. The bathroom sink fell down. That's in the paperwork. Other stuff was well. Ceiling fan fell down.

The back ramp is crooked and barely closes.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
As to the quality of Forest River, we've been very satisfied with our 2013 in my sig. My son just bought a new 2020 Forest River trailer and it seems to be very well put together and the attention to detail is very good. They even come with Goodyear Endurance Tires, WiFi booster, and TST TPMS system. Time will tell. They all turn out a lemon from time to time. My daughter's 2 year old 40 ft. Keystone Cougar 5er us sitting in the repair shop with a broken leaf spring hanger. Go figure.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
2nd pic shows discoloration on the luan wall. Water leak?

I saw that too... better check it out.

Thanks, I looked into it and couldn't find any leaking area. On the other side is the shower and I can see where the previous owner put a lot of sealant on the door against that wall. So I'm hoping it was something from the past. I will be keeping an eye on it though. ๐Ÿ™‚

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:

I saw that too... better check it out.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
That is good to know. I'll look for that and hope that I don't have a mice problem to begin with. Is it common for mice to get into the basement areas of 5th wheels? I'll put some traps in there if so.

IAMICHABOD wrote:
Wiscampsin wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
icodeintx wrote:
What is the steel wool for?
Mostly to fill the hole, also to slow the mice chewing.

Don't use steel wool as it will rust over time. Use stainless steel wool available at WalMart by the kitchen sponges.

I did some research on the forum a few years back and found that mice and rats did chew thru steel wool but that the Copper Mesh stopped them completely,they really don't the taste.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
I'd pack it full of course steel wool then cover it with spray foam.

Stainless steel wool if you can find it !

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wiscampsin wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
icodeintx wrote:

Don't use steel wool as it will rust over time. Use stainless steel wool available at WalMart by the kitchen sponges.

I did some research on the forum a few years back and found that mice and rats did chew thru steel wool but that the Copper Mesh stopped them completely,they really don't the taste.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
icodeintx wrote:

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much the ENTIRE RV INDUSTRY SHOULD BE ASHAMED AT THE QUALITY OF CONSTRUCTION THESE DAYS !

Demand is up. RV are selling like proverbial "hotcakes" ! Quantity over quality !

Some of it is bad design, some of it is bad manufacturing. When you are spending $20K-$50K for a TT would you pay and extra $5K for a 3 year "bumper to bumper" warranty ? I really do believe that around $5,000, mostly in roofing, seams and windows and doors, is all that it would take to make a much more "durable" TT !

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
icodeintx wrote:

It gives the mice a bad taste in their mouths.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
icodeintx wrote:
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund