cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who all makes aluminum sided aluminum framed TT’s?

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
After reading another thread, I may not be so sold on smooth sided “fiberglass” trailers. I have noticed the delam and mirroring of the frame as well as the gelcoat coming off on many that are just a few years old. I guess the smooth look just appealed to me a lot more. I want as little wood as possible either way. I really liked Holiday House RV, but they like Airstream have very little exterior storage and no floorplan with recliners.
22 REPLIES 22

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. My aluminum sided, wood framed trailer is assembled with staples. It's held up fine though with no water penetration or wood rot.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
The aluminum siding models are stapled to the wood studs.

Wait, what?

I've not seen aluminum sided trailers using staples to attach the aluminum skin to the framing, let alone having "wood" at the framing.

Basically the same as aluminum or vinyl siding on a house.
You’re probably thinking of a cargo type trailer.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
The aluminum siding models are stapled to the wood studs.

Wait, what?

I've not seen aluminum sided trailers using staples to attach the aluminum skin to the framing, let alone having "wood" at the framing.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
^ That's exactly why I looked at the Keystones. Still searching. We really want something with two recliners, then all the standard stuff. Booth dinette, walkaround queen, etc.

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:
Well, I guess I will be scouring the following brands and looking for a rear living with a curved roof and frameless windows with aluminum structures Forest River in the following lines (Flagstaff, Solera, Forester, Sunseeker, Rockwood, R-Pod)
Coachmen in the following lines ( Chaparral, Brookstone)
Jayco – Jay Feather Micro series and behind the front diamond plate on the Hummingbird, Jay Feather, and White Hawk travel trailers.
Lance Campers
Nexus RV
Prime Time
Adrenaline
Koala
Winnebago
Apex RV
Gulfstream
Heartland RV
No Bo (No Boundaries)
Renegade RV
Work and Play RV
nuCamp
Surveyor
East to West RV

Take a look at the Cougar travel trailer line. I really like their construction as well as the Outback. The cap on the Outback wraps around the front so that the seals are not getting water forced into the seams.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would have been cheaper for FR to replace their coach than do the repairs... Replacing a wall would be >$15,000 repair including labor.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy story. One of my old camping friends told me that Forest River came and picked up her trailer and replaced an entire side of the trailer due to a defect that caused delam. Then it happened again a short while out of warranty, and they came and got it and replaced the other side and did some other work and upgrades for her at no charge. Gotta say, that's impressive service, not sure what the heck she said to them.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Really diggin the Outdoors RV products. Not sure what they are using in place of Azdel, but they seem to be quite a bit higher quality than all the standard names and don't share all the same interior bits and pieces of the cookie cutters.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess I will be scouring the following brands and looking for a rear living with a curved roof and frameless windows with aluminum structures Forest River in the following lines (Flagstaff, Vibe, Forester, Rockwood, R-Pod)
Coachmen in the following lines ( Chaparral, Brookstone)
Jayco – Jay Feather Micro series and behind the front diamond plate on the Hummingbird, Jay Feather, and White Hawk travel trailers.
Lance Campers
Nexus RV
Prime Time
Adrenaline
Koala
Winnebago
Apex RV
Gulfstream
Heartland RV
No Bo (No Boundaries)
Renegade RV
Work and Play RV
nuCamp
Surveyor
East to West RV

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:
Yep, my current one is Azdel. I'm surprised their are still companies not using it. I wonder how Darco compares? Dang it, looks like the Keystone Premier uses Darco and Sunset Trail doesn't say anything about moisture barrier.

Darco is a fabric and isn’t used in wall construction, but as a protective cover under the subfloor.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, my current one is Azdel. I'm surprised their are still companies not using it. I wonder how Darco compares? Dang it, looks like the Keystone Premier uses Darco and Sunset Trail doesn't say anything about moisture barrier.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went thru a trailer selection process a few months back, and after dealing with delamination on our motorhome, I wanted either "stick and tin" or Azdel.

If you're really looking at fiberglass, look for Azdel construction.

Most trailers that experience delamination have a wall construction of filon (fiberglass) that's glued to luan, which is glued to an inch or so of styrofoam that straddles/fills the aluminum frame, and then another sheet of luan glued to that to form the interior wall.

Luan wicks water like crazy and pretty much dissolves wood when it dries out, and that's where your delamination becomes visible. By the time you can see it, you can't fix it. All you can do is inject lots of adhesive or epoxy to try and fill the void and rebond the filon with the foam, and what you use has to be able to bond to the foam without dissolving it (contact cements will eat it away...). The bigger problem is you've compromised the structural strength of the exterior walls when part of the sandwich fails.

Azdel construction uses a Filon/plastic/foam/luan sandwich. By taking luan out of the exterior layer, there's no wicking of the moisture, and no disintegration of the structure. There's always the chance of the adhesive giving away between layers, but you can re-glue filon to Azdel without worrying about what type of adhesive you're using.

The brands using Azdel are growing. Had Grand Design offered it, we would have looked at their laminated trailers. Instead, I went with stick and tin knowing that I could repair any water damage with the tools in my woodshop.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
^ That is definitely one of my many must haves. Found a Sunset Trail that looks pretty interesting, appears to compare with the Keystone Premier that I like. SS257FK. Has a seriously crowned roof, electric stabilizer jacks, appears to have all aluminum framing. Trailer hook ups inside front cargo hold like the Grand Designs and other "higher end" trailers. Factory roof ladder, 15K BTU ducted A/c. Negative would be doesn't have the frameless windows.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:
I will definitely stay on top of the roof maintenance as that seems to be the #1 killer of any TT.

Look for a TT that does not have a FLAT roof. You want some pitch to help the water roll off.

Roof maintenance should include washing with mild soap and applying a UV protectant.