cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to spot a good disconnect switch?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the switches claim they are made of fine copper, instead of brass like the competitors.

Im looking at this switch and like its low profile. The pictures claim its made of copper, but it doesnt look like copper. Is it plated?

Is a sign of a good switch when its not plated and you can see its copper lugs?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ54KKH/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1XLIDN9XQ0PZ...
17 REPLIES 17

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I use BlueSea in my boat and in my TT.

Tried and trued.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
Here is how it looks.

Maybe match the existing switch shown. Get a replacement with a second switch and trim to have both together.

MrWizard
I used one like this

50 amp dc solar breaker
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used a 80A Bussman CB/switch on the output. For my 3x serial panels at 100V and 9A I used a 240V A/C disconnect switch (about $7) to disconnect both poles. Yes it's not DC rated but that is a minor consideration for 9A.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
I used a 50 Amp dc breaker for my solar panel disconnect switch in our previous RV
Found it on Amazon

That is what I use also. Works just fine.

12V DC circuit breaker

Ditto on that.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Being it is on Amazon and not a 3rd party seller or direct from China. I might order it, inspect on arrival and if it looks jinky, send it back.

I have some inline fuses I bought and they are the exact same thing as a big brand name at about 25% of the cost.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I don't know but the BlueSeas and the Perkos are very popular and have been around a long time. More expensive tho.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
Would you guys do something a little smaller and better looking for a solar panel disconnect?
Or just skip it. Only a service convenience. Anyway, no rush.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
I used a 50 Amp dc breaker for my solar panel disconnect switch in our previous RV
Found it on Amazon

That is what I use also. Works just fine.

12V DC circuit breaker

MrWizard
Found it on Amazon
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how it looks. I normally dont have batteries installed. With the recent fires i put an old junky battery in there just to work the jack if needed. Thats why my solar is normally disconnected.

What do you think about cutting a small hole into the display itself? In the pics you can see the right side of the display does have a bit of room for a hole.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Would you guys do something a little smaller and better looking for a solar panel disconnect?

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I don't know but the BlueSeas and the Perkos are very popular and have been around a long time. More expensive tho.

These would be my choice

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II