cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Panels- Another Step Toward Independence

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
This should’ve been done a year ago.....but, life continually gets in the way! I’ve got to purchase some wire, junction boxes to finish the tie-in.

Installed these this morning on our Class C. The photo shows that the panels ( 4 x 100 watts) can be adjusted to take full advantage of the seasons/sun angle! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
19 REPLIES 19

climb_on
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:

Titles-titles, every bodies got titles.......
My solar panel lifts controller switch is in the same compartment as my charge controller. It makes no difference where I'm at, as long as the panels are pointing south, I get about 40% increase in energy, according to the display on my MPPT controller, when I tilt my panels to the correct angle.

Richard

Then you haven't done the math correctly. If the only time you have an increase of 40% is when they are tilted up (assuming you are always parked in the right direction), then it's only a 40% increase X amount of the time they are up. If it's 50% of the time, then it's only a 20% total increase.

I'm not arguing that you should get rid of them. If it works for you, thats awesome. I'm arguing someone who is building a system, should add panels with that money, if they have roof space. It's simply best practice in the industry.

If you want to piss on my education, fine. But, the simple fact is your math just isn't right and the strategy you used isn't a good one for most new installs.
2020 Forest River - No Boundaries 19.8
Upgraded w/ Hensley Cub...
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
Upgraded w/ Rear Sway Bar, Heavy Duty Shackles & Bushings, AirBags, LRE Tires....

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
climb.on wrote:
I have dove the math many times (I’m a NABCEP certified installer), for both residential installs and RV, water pumping, etc. Calcs on an RV are very difficult to really be accurate with, since you are always in a different place and always positioned at a different azimuth. 40% might work out on paper for perfect conditions IF you always had your RV parked in the same place, at the right orientation and IF you actually tilted the panels every time you could. In reality the gain is much less than than 40%. There’s a good reason nobody uses trackers and tilt adjustments anymore in residential and commercial installs. It just makes more economic sense, if you have the space, to add more panel to make up for the losses of a less than ideal tilt (or azimuth). By all means if you don’t have the space, tilt and azimuth adjustments are about all you can do.

Titles-titles, every bodies got titles.......
My solar panel lifts controller switch is in the same compartment as my charge controller. It makes no difference where I'm at, as long as the panels are pointing south, I get about 40% increase in energy, according to the display on my MPPT controller, when I tilt my panels to the correct angle.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
FWC wrote:
Agreed on the tilting panels, unless you are planning on staying in one location for a long time, it is unlikely that you will end up tilting them. Easier to add more panels than dealing with tilting.

On closer inspection, are your mounting brackets covering some of your solar cells? If so this can have a surprisingly large impact - reducing the current from ALL the cells in that string. It may be worth getting some narrower extrusions.

More panels! No tilting! The additional panels will more than offset any loss due to flat vs. tilted installation...

climb_on
Explorer
Explorer
I have dove the math many times (I’m a NABCEP certified installer), for both residential installs and RV, water pumping, etc. Calcs on an RV are very difficult to really be accurate with, since you are always in a different place and always positioned at a different azimuth. 40% might work out on paper for perfect conditions IF you always had your RV parked in the same place, at the right orientation and IF you actually tilted the panels every time you could. In reality the gain is much less than than 40%. There’s a good reason nobody uses trackers and tilt adjustments anymore in residential and commercial installs. It just makes more economic sense, if you have the space, to add more panel to make up for the losses of a less than ideal tilt (or azimuth). By all means if you don’t have the space, tilt and azimuth adjustments are about all you can do.
Upgraded w/ Rear Sway Bar, Heavy Duty Shackles & Bushings, AirBags, LRE Tires....

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
climb.on wrote:
Tilt lifts can be helpful if you don’t have anymore space on your roof. If you have the space, just take the money you would spend on the lift and buy another panel or two. One more panel will make up for what you lose having them flat. Plus, you never have to get up there and adjust them. That’s the strategy residential installs use now that panels have done down so much in price.

Do the math. It's about a 40% increase when you tilt the panels. So to match the tilt increase you would have to add 40% more panels or more.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

climb_on
Explorer
Explorer
Tilt lifts can be helpful if you don’t have anymore space on your roof. If you have the space, just take the money you would spend on the lift and buy another panel or two. One more panel will make up for what you lose having them flat. Plus, you never have to get up there and adjust them. That’s the strategy residential installs use now that panels have done down so much in price.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one company making 12 volt solar panel lifts.
SolaRVector.

I have Keven's first design lifts and they work great. I suspect his second design lifts are even beetter.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
That's a really clean looking setup. I agree with the others though on the concern over the covered cells. Can you turn the connector brackets over? Put the L so it goes down the side and wraps under the panel. Then put screws in the panels from the side.

Thanks, I actually considered that....just haven’t really studied it yet. Hopefully, that’s a good easy remedy! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
That's a really clean looking setup. I agree with the others though on the concern over the covered cells. Can you turn the connector brackets over? Put the L so it goes down the side and wraps under the panel. Then put screws in the panels from the side.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

climb_on
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are doing more harm than good, with your tilt setup. The brackets on the long edges are partially covering the cells on all 4 panels. This is very likely significantly reducing your output. (some panels perform better than others if they have bypass diodes but it's still significant). See this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Np7kvmj1s

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I would think having to tilt the panels would depend on daily usage? Most days you should be fine with the flat panels? The tilt ability is there, if you need it.

Oh, and by the way... what a clean roof!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
memtb,

I don't known if they are available in the format you want.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
FWV, yes a very small strip of the panel is covered! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed on the tilting panels, unless you are planning on staying in one location for a long time, it is unlikely that you will end up tilting them. Easier to add more panels than dealing with tilting.

On closer inspection, are your mounting brackets covering some of your solar cells? If so this can have a surprisingly large impact - reducing the current from ALL the cells in that string. It may be worth getting some narrower extrusions.