cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle this for Sequoia and 4Runner owners...

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
These vehicles gear hunt even when going uphill and you don't have to manually shift to lower gear if it's losing momentum. All you have to do is depress to the floor the gas pedal to downshift to regain power and desired speed.

It's when going downhill that one needs to manually downshift for the engine brake assist.
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sam, You should just tell them all to get Tesla’s....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Yosemite Sam1, I would say that my only concern would be engine rpm, which would have to be at or above the redline before I’d go into panic mode. If the engine braking with downshifts can’t control the speed... it’s time to apply brakes. Probably would be a good time to pull the parachute release, as you may not be in contact with terra- firma! :B memtb

Exactly, don't understand why my friend found it funny in his Tioga Pass near miss. He could be flying in that deep ravine and would not be found in another 10 years or so when no one sees him flying down, lol.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Most automatics do lock the torque convertor in first gear, so I suspect anyone using that gear for sustained periods of time is building up a lot of heat. If second cannot hold you, you are traveling to fast for the amount weight you are towing.

I would suspect that too. Was not able to follow up whether the trailer is pushing his TV beyond the upper most speed range of the 1st gear, then I would imagine he would get a worst tranny problem than just overheating -- although the group has full trust and confidence with the Toyota/Japanese engineering excellence, loll.

I don't think the transmission is even going in 1st. The engine would be way overspeed in most situations unless you were going super slow.

Most modern transmissions will only downshift as far as the computer deems safe. It wouldn't surprise me if people just slam the lever in 1st thinking that is where the trans is shifting, when really they are in 3rd or second.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1, I would say that my only concern would be engine rpm, which would have to be at or above the redline before I’d go into panic mode. If the engine braking with downshifts can’t control the speed... it’s time to apply brakes. Probably would be a good time to pull the parachute release, as you may not be in contact with terra- firma! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Most automatics do lock the torque convertor in first gear, so I suspect anyone using that gear for sustained periods of time is building up a lot of heat. If second cannot hold you, you are traveling to fast for the amount weight you are towing.

I would suspect that too. Was not able to follow up whether the trailer is pushing his TV beyond the upper most speed range of the 1st gear, then I would imagine he would get a worst tranny problem than just overheating -- although the group has full trust and confidence with the Toyota/Japanese engineering excellence, loll.

Bedlam
Most automatics do NOT lock the torque convertor in first gear, so I suspect anyone using that gear for sustained periods of time is building up a lot of heat. If second cannot hold you, you are traveling to fast for the amount weight you are towing.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

One question I had is how is the tranny when going at first gear on downhill.

The answer is nothing seems wrong: grinding or over-heating. RPM though is elevated at 3,000+ RPM.

Whatever you're on, I'll take 2!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
memtb wrote:
Yosemite Sam1, I don’t know how far down it will shift. We’ve never towed with ours, going from OD to 4th was sufficient to slow the vehicle...don’t know if it would continue to downshift when towing! memtb

A friend says he even uses the 1st (lowest gear) to assist the brake having learned a lesson when he burned his brakes while going downhill Eastbound from 9,000 ft above sea level at Tioga Pass.

While I don’t tow with ours, I have never had reservations about manually downshifting an automatic, if I thought it was needed. I was just responding to the questions about the vehicle doing it itself.

In a nearby town with a few steep hills, I often manually downshift to maintain the speed limit....though, I’ve only gone down to 2nd gear. Next time I go to town, I may have to reduce the cruise set-point to 5 mph below posted speed, and observe whether the tranny will continue to downshift to lower gears to maintain speed set-point! Inquiring Minds! memtb

One question I had is how is the tranny when going at first gear on downhill.

The answer is nothing seems wrong: grinding or over-heating. RPM though is elevated at 3,000+ RPM.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
memtb wrote:
Yosemite Sam1, I don’t know how far down it will shift. We’ve never towed with ours, going from OD to 4th was sufficient to slow the vehicle...don’t know if it would continue to downshift when towing! memtb

A friend says he even uses the 1st (lowest gear) to assist the brake having learned a lesson when he burned his brakes while going downhill Eastbound from 9,000 ft above sea level at Tioga Pass.

While I don’t tow with ours, I have never had reservations about manually downshifting an automatic, if I thought it was needed. I was just responding to the questions about the vehicle doing it itself.

In a nearby town with a few steep hills, I often manually downshift to maintain the speed limit....though, I’ve only gone down to 2nd gear. Next time I go to town, I may have to reduce the cruise set-point to 5 mph below posted speed, and observe whether the tranny will continue to downshift to lower gears to maintain speed set-point! Inquiring Minds! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with an older Sequoia for a while. Key is to downshift at the beginning of a grade (up OR down) so you have torque going up and control going down. I don't understand why people are so reluctant (lazy?) to do this, and want the electronics to make all the decisions for them. Just do it--it's not rocket science.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
memtb wrote:
Our 2013 4Runner, will downshift on a decent, once your speed exceeds 5 mph over the cruise control set point. Of course....you must have the cruise control activated to enjoy this feature! ?? memtb

Thanks, this will be a hoot for my Sequoia, 4runner and Tacoma/Tundra driving friends if they don't know. this yet.

One friend said that his SUV pulling his RV becomes a bit scary wobbly going downhill at 60 miles per. hour at. I-80. Eastbbound from Donner peak. Perhaps he can set the cruise control at 55 mph to keep control.

Or perhaps he should just use his brake and transmission control to tow at a reasonable speed. GOOD GRIEF if you are wobbly, SLOW DOWN before you get in a sway situation.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t think Toyota is using CVTs in anything that is rated to tow. Nissan has a CVT in their Pathfinder, though, with a 6k lb tow rating... not sure i’d be that brave.

I put 140k towing miles on a 2008 Highlander. I like to downshift to 3rd or even 2nd (it’s a 5 speed and I don’t use 5th for towing) wither up or down steep hills. The odd thing is, the manual says to leave it in 4th, and when i asked the service writers they claimed that cooling was best in 4th (better than if manually shifted to 2nd or 3rd). I never found out if they were blowing smoke, but I suspected it.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Newer vehicles have a CVT (continuous Variable Transmission). They are more computer controlled via ECMs. They seem to shift quite a bit different then previous automatics.
Yes, they can be manually shifted in most.
Not sure which transmissions are put in Toyotas, but most newer vehicles including large trucks use a form of CVTs.

What is your source on this? The only CVTs that I'm aware of are in smaller vehicles. Full size pickups use conventional automatics with torque converters, and large trucks that are automatic use either a conventional auto (like an Allison) or an automated manual.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3