cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Craters of the Moon, ID

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the best place to stay to see area. Convoy of 5 rigs, class A and fifth wheels. Full hook up preferred.
14 REPLIES 14

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed in the monument a couple of times. Dry camping, but wonderful dark skies. Interesting hikes within the monument, including lava tube tunnels. Some of the monument's attractions: Craters of the Moon Visit

An interesting side trip is the EBR 1 museum if it is open. Outside are a couple of atomic aircraft engines.

Night Sky

Aircraft Engine at EBR 1 Museum

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:

We will be heading West from Yellowstone and have decided to take the high road as we are taking the low road to get there. Never been but I hear it is worth seeing. Hope to hear opinions one way or another.

Thinks were pretty well closed up in October due to COVID. Museum was closed, gift shop open.

I wanted to drive the toad through the Park but was overruled.

I was going to spend the night in the campground but decided against it as I figured the temps were going to be to warm. Glad I called that right.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Picabo Angler RV Park in Picabo, ID. It is a good park about 30 miles from Craters of the Moon. Water and 50 amp and a dump station. Decent AT&T to stream. Right on highway but very little traffic at night so it is quite as a tomb. Plenty of grass. Lot of room between sites, mix of pull through and backin spots.

IIRC I saw a propane tank at the hardware store.

We were there mid October, the store was open, and I think the restaurant was working limited hours. In another lifetime the food was good, use to make deliveries to the hardware store occasionally and would eat there.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
We drove through there a few years back but didn't see anything I would want to get out and have a closer look at. If there is more to Craters of the Moon than what we saw from the highway I hate that we missed it.

We will be heading West from Yellowstone and have decided to take the high road as we are taking the low road to get there. Never been but I hear it is worth seeing. Hope to hear opinions one way or another.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
We drove through there a few years back but didn't see anything I would want to get out and have a closer look at. If there is more to Craters of the Moon than what we saw from the highway I hate that we missed it.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anglers Rest, Picabo, ID. Took a drive down there yesterday to Silver Creek and drove the Nature Conservancy roads. We saw a TON of hawks, deer, and some Sandhill Cranes. The ducks were all hiding from the gale force winds, though. There is propane in Bellevue ID not to far north of Picabo, but there is probably some in Picabo as well.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently at Mountain View. Quite surprised at how nice it is. Highly recommend it. Will be going to Craters of the Moon this afternoon. The associated restaurant is closed, but our understanding is that takeout is available Th-Sat. Had some Friday. Delicious! And we plan on eating at โ€˜Picklesโ€™ tonight.
Be aware, the area has no propane available. Weโ€™ll be heading to Idaho Falls in the next day or 2 to get some.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the quick replies. We will put Mountain View on the list.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Yup on Mountain View
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
docsouce wrote:
2x on Mountain View in Arco. If you have time, check out Atomic City.

x3 - They have a great on site restaurant - hope it is open during the pandemic
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
2x on Mountain View in Arco. If you have time, check out Atomic City.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a new place in Picabo ID my friends like. You'll need reservations as it fills nightly. Arco is east of COM, Picabo is west so prob depends on your approach. Picabo is in the vicinity of Silver Creek a world class trout stream and an amazing place to see birds and wildlife.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I stayed in the park.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
mtn view in arco is the best i have found in the area