cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steamed Clams, Pacific NW - Washington

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a restaurant anywhere from the Everett, WA area UP NORTH to the Canadian Boarder. Specifically, great STEAMED CLAMS (steamers, not razors, please).

Any recommendations are greatly welcomed and appreciated! If it is a little hole-in-the-wall with awesome food, the better!!

Thank you!

Lura
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."
32 REPLIES 32

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live on the East Side of Camano Island. We dug clams all the time in the shallow bay. We lived on them.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
jjuliajul wrote:
mmm steamed clams, I really like this

They are the best!
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Edd505 will you please stop, You have not been able to follow this conversation.

Diversion again by stay up there please

How'd that election go for you?
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anthonys in Edmunds is really good.
Ray's Boat House
Ivar's downtown on the pier.

jjuliajul
Explorer
Explorer
mmm steamed clams, I really like this

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Edd505 will you please stop, You have not been able to follow this conversation.

Diversion again by stay up there please
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
2002 HR Endeavor wrote:
Pangaea Ron - delicious sounding! Makes us want to visit the area having never been.
Wonderful ecology minded activities you and your neighbors .. thank you for responding generously to the OP

Thanks HR

It's a great part of the world, even in the weird world now.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

2002_HR_Endeavo
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron - delicious sounding! Makes us want to visit the area having never been.
Wonderful ecology minded activities you and your neighbors .. thank yuo for responding generously to the OP

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anthony's in several locations near you.
Ray's Boat House.
I used to live on the east side of Camano Island. We practically lived on clams, raw milk, and strawberries in the summer.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
WOW. I'm without words with your responses. I'm glad that you have moved on and are now far, far away! Reading comprehension is apparently not important to you.

In the nearly 50 years that I have lived in the area, I do not know anyone who travels to Coupeville or areas north of there who actually uses the Clinton Ferry to get there. I've worked in Oak Harbor, Coupeville, and Port Townsend for many years. Do not take the ferry from Clinton to get to Coupeville, no one suggested it! Get it?

The steamed clams are worth the trip.

Your post 7:
I'm a bit baffled about how expensive ferry rides ($3.50/person, $1.75/senior for a walk-on to Port Townsend from Coupeville (Keystone). . . cheap for the experience) and crowded Deception Pass (20 miles to the North, which is another great and worthwhile experience) has anything to do with great steamed clams?

Take the ferry to Port Townsend for the afternoon and visit Deception Pass State Park on your way to Coupeville. I've lived in the area for nearly 50 years and haven't been overwhelmed by yuppies yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
$3.50 walk on explain how he does that, he has to get to Coupeville first. Your a Whidbey expert that lives in Anacortes, not even the same county. I moved to Whidbey from San Jaun Island when I got tired of a 2 hour ferry ride. I guess you missed I lived on the island and was trying to give helpful information to a tourist, not how cheap the ferry ride was. He has zero knowledge of the area or he wouldn't be asking. You are the exact reason I moved off the island when I retired, you obviously know all there is about WA and change the facts to fit YOUR story. Say hello to Inslee and the rest of the liberals up the way, I'll stick with the ranchers down this way.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
ArcticFox&Cats wrote:
THANK YOU for sharing your recipe!!!! That is MOST generous of you!
And thank you, too, for your kindness. Appreciate muchly the recommendations!

Thanks

I usually have a bit of melted butter to dip the clams in, and cole slaw on the side.

I really do recommend an afternoon trip on the ferry to Port Townsend as a walk-on. It's a charming Victoria town. Next to the ferry landing in Keystone (Coupeville) is Fort Casey State Park with amazing concrete fortifications that are fun to explore. A similar fort is in Port Townsend, that was used in the movie: An Officer and a Gentleman"

As you drive over Deception Pass Bridge, I live on the bay just East and North of the bridge. I hope that the Mt. Baker volcano will be visible to the NE.

Enjoy your trip.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU for sharing your recipe!!!! That is MOST generous of you!
And thank you, too, for your kindness. Appreciate muchly the recommendations!
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
So you go when it's hard to harvest?

Yes, I miss mussels, especially Coconut Green Curry Mussels, which is a somewhat difficult recipe.

Would you mind posting your favorite recipe for steamers?

Thanks

STEAMED CLAMS

2 T Butter
2 T Olive oil
3 -- Cloves garlic, minced (I often use less)
2 -- Shallots, finely chopped (I usually use a sweet onion)
1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes
1 cup Dry white wine
4 lbs. Manila clams
3 T Fresh chives
2 -- Lemons
-- -- Grilled baguette

Combine the butter and olive oil in a large shallow skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots and the red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant but not burned.

Add the wine and increase the heat to medium-high to bring the wine to a simmer.

Add the clams, cover with the lid and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened. Discard any clams that are still closed. Add the chives and juice from 1 lemon and give the pot a quick stir.

Transfer the clams and the cooking liquid to a large serving bowl and serve with pieces of toasted bread to soak up the cooking liquid. Provide extra lemons on the side.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L