cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar

Jrwebster79
Explorer
Explorer
I recently traded my old travel trailer in for a new one. I have a suitcase 200 watt solar panel with a stand that I connect directly to my battery with alligator clips. My new travel trailer has a roof connection for solar panels. If I get an additional roof mounted panel can I still hook up my suitcase panel to the battery? In theory that will give me more charge?
4 REPLIES 4

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same situation. I have a 200W suitcase solar and my new 5th wheel has solar prep on the roof. I just don't use the roof prep and I connect to the battery like I always did although I really should put a wall mounted plug rather than feeding the cord through the front storage door where my battery is. The wall plugs are cheap and it would be easy enough to install one.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
With independent charge controllers, yes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
How many watts are you planning on the roof? Then...what is the new TT's solar wire size? What is the distance from the roof to the batteries?

Ditto on needing a controller.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Without a controller you're taking a big risk.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman