cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis clarification

Procrastinator
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the real early research stages of our first motorhome after 20 years of various trailers.

We really want a shorter motorhome and I have been studying Class B+ and Class C's for that reason.

I feel that I have read, or maybe misunderstood that some of the shorter class A's are built on Ford's E450 frames.

If that is correct, does anyone know how I can search for those models or manufacturers?

Thank you in advance.
2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE
7 REPLIES 7

Procrastinator
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to say thank you for the responses and the resources.

Pro
2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Shorter rigs are problematic, as the manufacturers seem to view them as low-cost entry level motorhomes. You may be better served by a bigger used rig. After a couple of years,most of the depreciation has been taken, and the bugs mostly worked out. We have been the third owners of both our Class A rigs, and we have had pretty good luck with the integrity of the chassis and interior repairs the prior owners dealt with. JMHO.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah most likely they'll be built on Ford/Chevy 350 450 3500 4500. Seen some Mercedes.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
in recent years, I believe the Thor axis/vegas are the only Class A's built on the E450. All the rest of the gassers are on the F53.

This topic has been discussed on the Thor Forum It may be of help to you.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
in recent years, I believe the Thor axis/vegas are the only Class A's built on the E450. All the rest of the gassers are on the F53.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Class A's Ford are usually on the F-53 chassis. Class C's are on the E350 or E450.

The shorter F53 Class A's are usually on a 18K LB's chassis. And then as you go up in length, and or quality, the chassis ratings go up to a high as 26K LB's.

One tip besides rating, is to factor the chassis wheel base length, in relation to coach length. Many of the entry level Class A's are on shorter wheel base's - which result in quite bit of tail hangover. Tail hangover can impact drivability, and dragging onto the ground at places... The term Tail Wagging the Dawg comes to mind, in heavier winds, as as Semi's blow by on the Interstates...

Best of luck on your search,
Smitty

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
No help here but what length are you looking at.

What brand name or features are you wanting. Those features along with length will determine on what frame you will get.