cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd Electric Step Problem

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Our step has been working fine for a couple of years. Today, I was giving the RV a bath and went to back it into the carport and I heard the steps go out. I turned the RV off and the steps go in.

Even with the step over ride switch off, the steps extend when the you turn the ignition key to the start position.

With the ignition off and the step switch on the steps work fine. Extend when the door opens, retract when the door closes. Turn the step switch off while extended, they stay extended.

Any thoughts? It doesn't appear to be the motor. Maybe the controller module? Ignition interlock?
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8
12 REPLIES 12

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scott M wrote:
Turned out to be controller. Replaced and works good as new.

first poster in the winnie link wrote:
I called a kweke step repair center and he telling me it could be the circuit board.

Scott , good job finding that . :C
After checking and cleaning connections as my first priority , I have found the main culprit to be circuit boards/controllers in most all my electronic related malfunctions.
Where a part is available, I carry spare Dinosaur boards for my appliances to use when the OEM's fail while I'm boondocking far from any rv help. I have not had to replace any Dinosaur Electronics boards yet. OEM's yes, but not any Dino's. They seem to be quality boards that hold up to being bounced down highways I guess.:)

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Turned out to be controller. Replaced and works good as new.

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Since the problem started after washing the rig maybe it will resolve itself when wiring etc dries out?

I had the same problem while driving through a heavy rain storm. I noticed the step going in and out while driving down the road. Issue stopped after it dried out. I wrapped the control module and wiring in plastic and sprayed waterproofing over it. No problem since.

ronfisherman
Check door switch
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Since the problem started after washing the rig maybe it will resolve itself when wiring etc dries out?
Kevin

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f259/entry-steps-extending-retracting-on-their-own-246752.html
This is the clicky. It might have an answer for you.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f259/entry-steps-extending-retracting-on-their-own-246752.html

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The 1800709 comes up as a Kwikee 42 series step motor conversion.

Kwikee 42 series manual

Test the four pin connector as described.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
P/N on step controller box:

PN: 1800709 REV 0F.

Sticker on other end of step assembly:

DOM:02/21/2018
RPO-0001205843
2 ELE 25.50 11.13 13.64 STR ACT ST BLK

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This portion is operating properly:
With the ignition off and the step switch on the steps work fine. Extend when the door opens, retract when the door closes. Turn the step switch off while extended, they stay extended.

Another item to check is the magnetic door switch. Make sure it is place and is aligned with the steel plate on door.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model of step?
Kwikee steps have two.
One from chassis battery, 30 amp
One from coach battery, 5-7.5 amp
I have seen a Sprinter chassis that has fuse block under the passenger seat. Almost need to pull seat!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked for fuses and can not find any that are designated for the step. What size fuse am I looking for? It should be a chassis fuse and not a coach fuse correct? It's on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Looked at fuse panel on chassis, there are about 30 fuses, no index on cover. Since this was equipment installed at Thor conversion factory, I doubt the Mercedes manual for label the step operator.

Battery under floor and have not opened it up yet.

Grounds are both good and clean, no rust or corrosion. Cleaned both ground terminals.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is two grounds in Kwikee steps. One for the control and one for the motor. Suggest checking both.
Make sure the two fuses are good. One is from chassis battery, one from coach battery.
Chassis battery power runs motor, chassis battery is control.
Make and model of step?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow