cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OTR Mobile - GRRRR

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I "was" a fan of OTR Mobile. for $60, seemingly uncapped data and speed on AT&T network was IMO affordable.

Back in April they did a forced change to T-Mobile AND raised the price to $70. Service has been less than stellar.

Now they are doing another forced change back to AT&T. Price now going up to $90 per month.

Working from home (Covid), this has been a savior to allowing me to be virtually anywhere, but a 50% increase in approximately 6 months!

I've looked at other solutions, and they all seem to be even more expensive.
17 REPLIES 17

I just recently activated Verizon's Visible service on my iPhone. Mainly as backup mobile data to my T-Mobile biz router, since I work 100% remote until the near future. Been surprised by Visible's 4G speeds, faster than my biz mobile account.

Visible iPhone 4G data speed

Visible iPhone hotspot 4G speed

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My Visible service is fantastic.... I enjoy paying $25 a month for all the data I need.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Nice plan for limited access. I believe only one device at a time can use the hotspot feature?

Not on my phone, Galaxy S9 Verizon.

Also I use Easytether Pro to my windows 10 laptop, turn on internet sharing on the laptop and my router picks it up and rebroadcasts. I can use our Roku tv and ipads at the same time.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Never has been truly unlimited and this is probably only the first in many against other carriers.

Unlimited Settlement
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
You would have really hated life 22 years ago, before the internet went WIFI.

My first use of remote computing, 75 baud acoustic coupler ๐Ÿ™‚

I couldn't get a straight story out of AT&T on directly contracting with them. Three different reps, three different plans/costs.

I get the unlimited isn't truly unlimited. So far, haven't seen slow downs, even during heavy use months. Problem with T-Mobile, getting too many cell resets.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:

Those restrictions are in EVERY unlimited plan no matter the cost. There is no truly UNLIMITED plan in existence, none, not even at $250 per month. By the way, Visible did away with the 5mbs cap several years ago.

Actually, there are a few people with grandfathered Verizon unlimited plans (no throttling or network management) that are still active. Verizon has been shutting them down for the last few years . . . but there's still a handful of us that still have them.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I signed up for FMCA's Tech Connect
Sprint. truly unlimited 50/month (Plus FMCA membership)
Sprint merged with T-Mobile who gets 73/month from me for voice, text and "Unlimited" (not the same as Unlimited) data.

Interesting thing. Some places i get fast Sprint (50Mbps here) and slow T-mobile Or same speed (my new apartment) or even faster (100Mbps here) T-mobile

IN one city I got ZERO T-mobile no signal no bars 100+Mbps Sprint

The phone has Wi-Fi pass through so when I can I use SPRINT data.

But it is great having options.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Those restrictions are in EVERY unlimited plan no matter the cost. There is no truly UNLIMITED plan in existence, none, not even at $250 per month. By the way, Visible did away with the 5mbs cap several years ago.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Snip...
If AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon wanted to provide truly unlimited data with no caps, no throttling, no anything, at a reasonable price, they would do it themselves. They don't need resellers to sell their product.

They already have!
Check out Visible by Verizon.

I have been on their network for the past year and have had no place that was not covered.
Unlimited minutes, texts, and data with no speed cap ever. $40/month all in. No extra charges at all.
Barney

Except according to the Visible website there can be restrictions. In very small print it says....
*In times of traffic, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.
**WiFi calling available on select devices.
+Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time.
I'm sure it's a very good plan but it not truly unlimited. There's always a catch.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
It is in my phone - Galaxy S8+. I use it as a hotspot when we are camping all the time.
Barney

Nice plan for limited access. I believe only one device at a time can use the hotspot feature?

I've had my Visible SIM in Novatel hotspots for about a year now with no complaints from Visible. The hotspot doesn't have the single device limit that the phones have. Another option is to make the single device connected to the phone one of the many routers that will accept a tethered or WiFi Internet connection.

On edit, I should add that I'm only paying $25/mo using Visible's "Party Pay" feature.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
It is in my phone - Galaxy S8+. I use it as a hotspot when we are camping all the time.
Barney

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Snip...
If AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon wanted to provide truly unlimited data with no caps, no throttling, no anything, at a reasonable price, they would do it themselves. They don't need resellers to sell their product.

They already have!

I have been on their network for the past year and have had no place that was not covered.
Unlimited minutes, texts, and data with no speed cap ever. $40/month all in. No extra charges at all.
Barney

Do you have the SIM in a phone or a physical hot spot?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobWNY wrote:
Snip...

They already have!

Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine