cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Border closure extended

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Till November 21st. I see they now call it a "partial closure".

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
17 REPLIES 17

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
jsummers72 wrote:
Opps. CBSA is correct. My mistake. Thanks for the current report from MORSNOW. You said you need a reason that's" not vacation". What did you tell them? What was your reason ? Are you a resident of ID and said you were going home ? Snowbirds up here like me only have one reason (if we're honest).

Nope, we sold our house in AK and shipped our household goods to ID. We showed proof of selling our house in AK, proof of shipping our household goods, and proof of buying a house in ID. That and answering all of the RCMP's questions honestly and friendly. There were five others processing through the same time as us with similar situations, we were all passing each other on the ALCAN various times over the days, kind of funny waving to each other so many times. Fuel stops at different times made for the leap frogging.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

jsummers72
Explorer
Explorer
Opps. CBSA is correct. My mistake. Thanks for the current report from MORSNOW. You said you need a reason that's" not vacation". What did you tell them? What was your reason ? Are you a resident of ID and said you were going home ? Snowbirds up here like me only have one reason (if we're honest).

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
The Canadian Snowbirds Association appears to be a good source for info on the ongoing border closure. According to THIS RECENT POSTING "This means that travel for tourism purposes will not be permitted at any land border crossing until at least October 21, 2020, but we anticipate this closure may well extend into 2021."
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
jsummers72 wrote:
From AK to the Lower 48 there have been different experiences. In the last 10 days 2 different families left Palmer for AZ. One got thru', the other was turned back. Ram truck pulling TT got thru', MH pulling toad was turned back. Who knows why ? A Sept article in the Anchorage newspaper on the Border closure Extension said CBC says they're allowing 5 crossings per day in the "Western States". Does that mean crossings going South from AK, or crossings heading to AK from the Lower 48. Who knows ? If you call and finally get a real person the CBC will tell you "it all depends". I think they are allowing the Border Agents to decide "as the situation dictates" from day to day. Good luck. We're staying in AK this winter for the 1st time since 2006. Hello snow shovel.

I just made the trip from AK to ID just a couple weeks ago, you can go through Canada with an approved purpose not just for a vacation. It's not 5 vehicle crossings per day, it's 5 open border crossings for Alaskan's use on the stateside border (2 in WA, 1 in ID, 1 in MT, etc). You are given 5 days to make the journey, with a 24 hour limit in the Yukon. Most of us who entered Canada in the morning, drove all the way through the Yukon and parked in a pullout in BC, 5 Kilometers from the Yukon border. I drove through in 3 long days with a truck camper without issue (gas and camped in pullouts) but followed the Canadian rules to the letter to avoid any fines. Canadian Provincial parks and campgrounds are closed to Americans so pullouts are it. People at the gas stations and check points were all friendly to me as usual and did not treat us a the lepers that the Canadian Gov't did. We had our "Scarlet Letter" in the windshield for the trip and turned in our paperwork at the southern end to confirm departure from Canada. Follow the rules and everything is okay, I'm proof of that.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I would hope if your looking for information on crossing the Canadian boarder you wouldnโ€™t call a news organization ( the CBC )CBC news, for info, you would call the people that man/ operate the border, in this case the CBSA Canadian Boarder

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

jsummers72
Explorer
Explorer
From AK to the Lower 48 there have been different experiences. In the last 10 days 2 different families left Palmer for AZ. One got thru', the other was turned back. Ram truck pulling TT got thru', MH pulling toad was turned back. Who knows why ? A Sept article in the Anchorage newspaper on the Border closure Extension said CBC says they're allowing 5 crossings per day in the "Western States". Does that mean crossings going South from AK, or crossings heading to AK from the Lower 48. Who knows ? If you call and finally get a real person the CBC will tell you "it all depends". I think they are allowing the Border Agents to decide "as the situation dictates" from day to day. Good luck. We're staying in AK this winter for the 1st time since 2006. Hello snow shovel.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I have a neighbor who is Canadian with dual citizenship. His two sisters live in the Toronto area. The word on the street up there is that the border won't open until after the new year sometime. I can't confirm any of that. It's just what my neighbors sisters told him they were hearing. Take it for what it's worth.

My opinion as well. They keep bumping it a month at a time, but that seems to be more procedure than anything. We will be into the spring before we see it opened.

And this sits well with most Canadians. Based on current cases and deaths per capita in both countries, there is no real desire up here to see it opened. See https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-closure-support-mayors-tourism-trump-1.5722974
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a neighbor who is Canadian with dual citizenship. His two sisters live in the Toronto area. The word on the street up there is that the border won't open until after the new year sometime. I can't confirm any of that. It's just what my neighbors sisters told him they were hearing. Take it for what it's worth.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Gary's the source! ??
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It is clear one OP used a date that was expected and the other poster used a date that was actually set by both countries. So the OP is a little premature in his date. Both individuals are just trying to get it right.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like it has been extended to Oct 21 but โ€œsourcesโ€ say it will be extended to Nov.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I did hear the same report as Gary about November 21st.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-u-s-border-closure-will-likely-be-extended-until-november-sou...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
vermilye wrote:
Where did you see November 21? The latest report I found is October 21. CBC Report

Every time I post about an extension...someone suggests that it's the wrong information. Please...do a Google search.

Gary

I do believe vermilye is right.
Every Google search comes up Oct 21st

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Google search:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-u-s-border-closure-extended-to-oct-21-1.5110565

October 21 is the date as of today.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]