cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dirty water in toilet bowl after sitting

spuyear
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a bizarre issue. After my last trip I performed housekeeping like always. This includes emptying and flushing the black tank, emptying the grey tank, and disconnecting from city water. I should note that the water pump is off and the toilet bowl is empty.

When I went into the rig a few days after I noticed dirty water in my toilet bowl. The water smelled bad like sewer water. I manually checked the black tank and found it to be empty.

Any idea where this water is mysteriously coming from?
10 REPLIES 10

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen to my RV after a couple weeks of storage -- it only happened once and I never found the cause.

I use TankTechsRx probiotic tank treatment (it has live bacterial cultures), so I'm blaming it on not flushing long enough to clear out the TankTechsRX from the toilet bowl, so some of the bacteria grew in the bowl.

Not sure if that was really the cause, but I've been flushing more thoroughly and usually spray some toilet bowl cleaner in the bowl before the final flush after parking, and I haven't had it happen again.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
You left the ceiling vent open and itโ€™s been raining?:)

Good one. :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
You left the ceiling vent open and itโ€™s been raining?:)
F1BNorm

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
RV A/F (the pink stuff) with propylene glycol makes a good winterizing bowl seal when not in use. It won't evaporate like water, and usually provides some degree of lubrication.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toilet has a vacuum breaker (small container with hole/flapper at top)
After toilet is flushed the flapper opens an allows the water in vacuum breaker to drain down into bowl

As noted:
Should leave water in toilet bowel so seal doesn't dry out and the water is a Vapor Barrier so black tank odor doesn't come back up thru bowel

Should also put 4-5 gallons of water BACK into black & grey tank so bottom stays wet...keeps stuff from drying out/sticking/stinking
YES...there is some stuff left behind even when flushed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Water can only get into the bowl through the toilet valve (or someone peeing) ... maybe the valve is leaking and needs replacing? Since the water supply to the toilet come from your FW tank any water should be clean ... if it's dirty then you should sanitize your FW system ... lots of threads on that subject ... use the forum search feature.

Hope this helps.
Kevin

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
spuyear wrote:
The fresh water tank is empty and the valve to the toilet is closed.

Could some amount of sewer water still be in the tank and somehow be coming up into the toilet from below?

No. That would defy gravity.

spuyear
Explorer
Explorer
The fresh water tank is empty and the valve to the toilet is closed.

Could some amount of sewer water still be in the tank and somehow be coming up into the toilet from below?

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Not related to the OP's question, but I would suggest keeping a little water in the toilet bowl to help prevent the seals from drying out.....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Probably drainage from your (dirty smelly) fresh tank and water lines.