cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you guys know I am currently rebuilding a 2002 Lance that deteriorated significantly from leaking windows. I assumed that the windows were leaking around the edges where they seal against the siding of the camper. But a closer inspection on reinstall shows that the outside seals have shrunk. Do you think this would allow water into the walls?

4 REPLIES 4

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
That seal is just a cosmetic trim piece. Remove it and the glass will still be there. I've had mine out a few times.

If you are worried about it, take it out, start at the bottom to make sure you have a good fit, then work it around so the gap is at the top. Just make sure not to stretch the seal when you put it back in.

You do need to make sure the weep holes aren't clogged though.

Also, the caulking around the outside of the window is more cosmetic and only provides sealing until it shrinks or cracks. The true seal is the putty between the camper and the window. What usually happens is they cut the window opening a bit on the large size so that when the window is put in place, there is very little overlap at the top. When you put the window back in, make sure to shim it up so the window is cengtered in the opening.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on molding being mostly cosmetic, while making backup for glass.
Windows are glued to the frame and glue suppose to make good seal.
I just had my household 4x8' window replaced. Guys used dual-sided neoprene tape to glue the window to frame.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
The 'seals' really only hold glass in. Water getting into mounting channel should exit via drain holes to exterior. There shouldn't be any direct path from inside the channel to wall behind the mounting flange. Square windows with corner joints are prone to leaking but full extruded radius windows usually only have a single butt joint, hopefully on a vertical.

The rather large gap in the seal could allow a lot of dirt accumulation but still shouldn't leak, at least into wall.
Looking briefly found this on another forum https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f71/how-do-i-fix-shrunken-window-seals-see-photos-17721.html
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Are they really seals or just cosmetic? Man, I can't believe the manufacturer would rely on those seals to keep water out. I'd guess they're cosmetic. If you pull the seal out, what's under it?

Scott

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC