cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing a Trailer Aid

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own four tandem axle trailers and I want to have my Trailer Aid with me whenever I’m towing one of them.

Right now, it usually rides in the back floorboard of my truck, which is in the way. If I take it out for space, I’m likely to forget it just when I need it. I’d like to come up with a place to keep it that is out of the sun, out of the way and always with me.

Under the hood was my first idea, but doesn’t look feasible. Next idea is frame rails or under the bed somewhere.

With a 5th wheel, bed space is scarce and I use my truck for hauling, so I hate to give up bed space for a tool box.

Anybody got any thoughts?
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
13 REPLIES 13

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
One Irv2 member had his trailer aid stored in two different TTs over a 8-9 year period till he had a ruined tire out on the hiway. All those miles and years...and the trailer aid wouldn't raise the flat tire enough to get the spare on. Always make a dry run at home before hitting the road. It could save some grief down the road.

Good point!!!

The one time I used mine on our Mobile Suites I added about 2.5” under my TA to get the bad tire off the ground.

My suspension was a TrailAire and had more travel than a standard sprung RV. I had done a lot of suspension work in driveway with it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
One Irv2 member had his trailer aid stored in two different TTs over a 8-9 year period till he had a ruined tire out on the hiway. All those miles and years...and the trailer aid wouldn't raise the flat tire enough to get the spare on. Always make a dry run at home before hitting the road. It could save some grief down the road.

Everybody should change a tire at home on a nice day. In the dark and rain, with traffic wizzing by is not the best time to go to school.
I'm a fan of pulling the flat up on block/ramp, then jack to get ramp out. To often, pull the flat off, then discover need up a little more. That jacking, with no wheel in place gives snot a long way to fall.
Last trailer flat; Stop, see on left. Back to jackknife so flat was center of shoulder, TV still on. Get blocks and triangles out, DW place reflectors while I get flat on block. She gets jack and compressor out while I get spare off rack. She makes sure spare is full, while I break nuts loose. While I jack up and change she makes room in truck bed for the flat. Next place she could get out of traffic, we stopped again, I break nuts loose 1 at time and retorque, clean hands. She is on the net to find a tire shop.

Without doubt! Along the road is no place to find some of your equipment doesn’t work.

When I first got my boat, I found that the center caps on the wheels took a thin wall half inch socket to remove. Imagine discovering that along the highway. Even a tow truck couldn’t have changed my tires.

I do the same with wheel bearings. I service the bearings at home using only equipment I carry in the truck. That includes grease, rags, gloves, tools and spare parts.

Learning is for home when you are in the shade, listening to some tunes and have time and patience. Not having a spare cotter pin is trivial at home, but it can be a minor disaster elsewhere.

My Trailer Aid will not lift my 5th wheel on its own. A little creativity can make it work though.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:

Everybody should change a tire at home on a nice day. In the dark and rain, with traffic wizzing by is not the best time to go to school.
I'm a fan of pulling the flat up on block/ramp, then jack to get ramp out. To often, pull the flat off, then discover need up a little more. That jacking, with no wheel in place gives snot a long way to fall.
Last trailer flat; Stop, see on left. Back to jackknife so flat was center of shoulder, TV still on. Get blocks and triangles out, DW place reflectors while I get flat on block. She gets jack and compressor out while I get spare off rack. She makes sure spare is full, while I break nuts loose. While I jack up and change she makes room in truck bed for the flat. Next place she could get out of traffic, we stopped again, I break nuts loose 1 at time and retorque, clean hands. She is on the net to find a tire shop.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We lost a trailer tire on US 58 a few weeks back with no shoulder. Called the local Police, they had a blocker there in 10 minutes. I didn't get out of the truck until they got there. The newbie truckers had no problem moving over then.
Puma 30RKSS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've only used mine one time, for an actual flat tire. It was on side of interstate, average traffic. I wanted to change the quickest safest possible, no exits for miles. At least it was the passenger side. With emergency lights flashing, spare leaning against FW bumper, most cars moved to left lane. The big rig trucks were the bad ones, most not moving over a foot, even though most times they had plenty of room/time to do so. I would have guessed the truckers to be the most courteous It seemed the back wash was almost enough to blow the good tire off the TrailerAid. Truck jack, bottle jack, no way! Where was that LEO when you actually wanted one?

I keep mine in truck bed, while towing.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are a SMART Man owning a TrailerAid. Much safer than a bottle jack.

Used it on my 07 18k Mobile Suites. Good luck finding a spot. I leave mine in back seat floor towing boat. Throw it in the bed if someone rides in back.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Put it on craigslist?

Then buy a low profile jack which will fit in more places and be more universal than that ramp..

Not to mention your tow vehicle SHOULD have a jack anyway, it's not like you are going to be able to use that ramp to change your Tow Vehicles tires..

Just another unitasker device solution in search of a use to find a home for..

ONE Multitasking solution like a jack often beats a single tasking device..

Yeah, like my truck jack is going to lift a 5th wheel. No where near enough lifting height.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I only have one trailer, it lives in long term storage under the bed.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Gdetrailer wrote:
Put it on craigslist?

Then buy a low profile jack which will fit in more places and be more universal than that ramp..

Not to mention your tow vehicle SHOULD have a jack anyway, it's not like you are going to be able to use that ramp to change your Tow Vehicles tires..

If you ever used one its much easier and safer than a jack for along the roadside tire changing. Granted the trailer aid does not work on all tandem axles however if it works on your trailer its certainly worth having around.
I just keep mine in my fiver's basement storage area beneath the lp tanks
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Build ramps from 4x6s...one for each trailer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put it on craigslist?

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't seem that big, does it have to have a permanent location or can you just put it where there's space? If you're worried about putting it down and forgetting about it, put it on the driver's seat.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.