Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Stairs not working
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Stairs not working

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach Cleats wrote:

Did u check the magnets on the screen door and/or front door. Sometimes they are located on the door frame. If they broke or fell off that could be the problem.

That's typical for the case where the steps won't retract when the door is closed. But if the steps won't extend when the door is opened it's most likely some other issue since the open door will break the "closed door" circuit informing the controller to extend the steps.

A friend had this "steps won't extend" issue on his Class A. We discovered that if I banged on the motor a bit with a rock, they'd work. Most likely cause was a flat spot on the motor armature which he then replaced fixing the problem. The motor used by Kwikee is a Ford electric window motor as I recall.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach Cleats wrote:

Did u check the magnets on the screen door and/or front door. Sometimes they are located on the door frame. If they broke or fell off that could be the problem.

A quick way to determine this is to open and close the door with the engine running. IF the round amber under step light goes ON and OFF when opening and closing the door, the Magnet system is GOOD. Doug

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to the storage garage this weekend to see if I can get them going again. The motorhome is only 3 years old (2018) and this is the 4th or 5th time I have had issues with these steps. I'm about ready to just use some heavy duty zip ties and tie up the stairs and be done with them. I have a double collapsible stair that I keep stored inside the compartment right outside the door so those might become my new stairs!

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
3 fur kids (Monty, Lola and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy)

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that seems like a super excessive amount of trouble with the steps. Is there road dirt or water getting thrown up on the motor or something?

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

Wow, that seems like a super excessive amount of trouble with the steps. Is there road dirt or water getting thrown up on the motor or something?

No. The motorhome is stored in an enclosed garage. I don't think we have ever even driven on a dirt road. I live in Florida and we do get a lot of rain but the motorhome is kept clean and the stairs are lubricated and move freely when I manually move them.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF for any reason the step assembly is bent it can bind and do that
Mine are like that. The problem is such that I have a manual "Door switch" that I flip and assist the steps in closing with my toe.. They come out ok But it's one giant step to get in and out when they are retracted.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From looking at your picture, the steps are not centered in the opining, indicating that they have been bent to the rear.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. Thought I would update on my stair fix. I finally was able to get the motorhome to a local dealer and they said both the motor and controller were bad. They tried just replacing the motor but no luck. They purchased a "kit" which cost $450. The stairs are working again. They are actually working very well now, very smooth. The stairs had always been a little jerky-jerky before and now they come out and go in very smooth. Hopefully they will stay working now! This is the second motor and controller replacement since I purchased the motorhome new in 2017.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I work on Hundreds of Kwikee steps every year and have for 40 years. Since they changed the controller about 20 years ago to a new style, I have NOT replaced a controller in all that time. New style Controllers are replaced either due to incompetance when attempting to fix(they burn it out by connecting or hot wiring wires) or they just want to sell a part. Motors? all the time. 2 sets in 3 years? IMPOSSIBLE. Doug

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

I work on Hundreds of Kwikee steps every year and have for 40 years. Since they changed the controller about 20 years ago to a new style, I have NOT replaced a controller in all that time. New style Controllers are replaced either due to incompetance when attempting to fix(they burn it out by connecting or hot wiring wires) or they just want to sell a part. Motors? all the time. 2 sets in 3 years? IMPOSSIBLE. Doug

The local RV service center I took the motorhome to was surprised that I had the stairs worked on so many times. The first time the controller/motor was replaced was by a mobile repair tech. The stairs had also been worked on by camping world 3 times (they never replaced any parts though). The place that fixed it this time I trust. They are a local family owned business and I have taken my motorhome there several times now and their work is very good and they charge a fair price. Who knows, maybe the mobile tech messed something up when he worked on them last time. I think he said the controller was bad and when he replaced it, the stairs still didn't work so he replaced the motor and that fixed it. It was covered under warranty (except the labor since I had a mobile tech do the work) so I didn't think much of it at the time. I am just hoping they stay fixed this time.

* This post was edited 10/12/20 03:02pm by MetalGator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Stairs not working
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.