cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Border closings

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
It is likely that Canada will not reopen the border. It is also quite possible it will not reopen for about 6 months. Not good news. Latest polls show most Canadians do not want it to reopen
62 REPLIES 62

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! There is no doubt that most ambitious plastic surgeons would love to get hold of that vaccine for their businesses!! My, my what you can do with photoshop; Russia's Putin I think would love it, unless he's insecure about his manhood, but I think that insecurity is only there when Hillary visits Russia.

Don't worry, there are two candidates on the horizon for Covid, and you and I are second in line because of our age; first are all the health care workers, nurses, and doctors. However, it looks like a two-shot deal.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I have a residence in Mexico but no utility bills in my name, my landlord handles them. Yes I work with caravans but we have suspended operations until next season unless there is a vaccine by year end then we may run 1 or 2 in late spring in Northern Mexico & Baja. To be quite honest at 71, I think I will stay in Canada until there is a vaccine. Russia is providing 35 million doses to Mexico in November but apparently it has side effects, but I will encourage my wife to have it.

Sorry Had to get rid if the image, Made me smile though.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
.... Then, pending a 2 week epidemiologically-monitored period, if infections here continue to soar (as they have been since on-premises return-to-schools was instated), a Province-wide "General Confinement", and possibly, a shutdown of all industry not essential, will happen.

All this over the next ~2 weeks. We are racing to get our rig into indoor storage.....this week (rather than wait and see), to preempt any regional police road blocks between Regions...

Good luck with the "2 week" thing - that's what we were told, and that was 7 or so MONTHS ago.

Oh, and buy as much toilet paper as you can right now!

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila, I'll tell you where I'm going with this after I ask you a few questions. Have you ever performed in stage theatre in high school or college? Do you have a place of residence in Mexico that you own or rent? Do you pay any utility bills at that residence, and the bills have your name on them? If I am not mistaken, aren't you someone who works in Mexico leading caravans, and it is an income stream for you? If you can answer yes to these questions, then I would pay a visit to your nearest US Consulate with your Mexico Resident Card, copies of your utility bills at your Mexico place of residence, any work stubs or paperwork showing you have a contract/job in Mexico which requires your presence, and with a very serious demeanor, inform the consulate that you need to cross the border as an "essential" traveler to make your way home to your job. If you can pull that off, I'll personally call the Screen Actors Guild in Hollywood, and they will have an "Oscar" waiting for you. US Border Patrol will never override a directive from the Consulate. All the Consulate can do is say no.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern wrote:
It seems that citizens with dual citizenship, US and Canadian, certainly are in the "cat bird seat" for non-essential travel across land borders.
yeah my neighbours took their RV to californa and back to visit relatives. They have both canadian & US passports

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that citizens with dual citizenship, US and Canadian, certainly are in the "cat bird seat" for non-essential travel across land borders.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
moisheh wrote:
Canada managed to handle those returning snow birds this past season. But that is moot. Canada cannot prevent you from leaving.

With the slowdown in border crossings we are paying for border employees who are probably spending the day watching Tik Tok.

From a purely technical point, they absolutely CAN prevent you from leaving. The part most people forget about is that things like drivers licenses, license plates, and in this case, PASSPORTS are not โ€œyoursโ€, they are issued to you, but they are the property of the government. They must be surrendered on request.

If push comes to shove, youโ€™re not getting into the US without a passport.

As for the customs employees, I donโ€™t know if theyโ€™re on furlough, or laid off, or what, but the customs office was a ghost town this afternoon.

Not that itโ€™s an official word in any way, but I asked the US CBP officer I dealt with this morning about a potential reopening, her reply was โ€˜Donโ€™t hold your breathe, it ainโ€™t gonna happen ANYTIME soon.โ€™.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
So if they're all couples that's at least 175,000 couples, if only say 1/3rd of them drive south that's north of (pun intended) 60,000 southbound vehicles to track. Never gonna happen!!!

LOL.....we are bracing for the other shoe to drop in Quebec, at a 5 PM announcement today. Speculation is that most of the densely populated regions of Quebec will topple into Red Zone status (several are Red now). And, that all establishments serving alcohol (including all restaurants) will be forced to close their doors by midnight (or, sometime tomorrow). Then, pending a 2 week epidemiologically-monitored period, if infections here continue to soar (as they have been since on-premises return-to-schools was instated), a Province-wide "General Confinement", and possibly, a shutdown of all industry not essential, will happen.

All this over the next ~2 weeks. We are racing to get our rig into indoor storage.....this week (rather than wait and see), to preempt any regional police road blocks between Regions...
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
A wise man once told me...

EDIT

Political commentary is not allowed per forum rules and we have been a bit lenient in that regard but Links to further political commentary are also not allowed thus the link has been removed.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Canada managed to handle those returning snow birds this past season. But that is moot. Canada cannot prevent you from leaving. Nor can they refuse your entry upon returning. With the slowdown in border crossings we are paying for border employees who are probably spending the day watching Tik Tok.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those polling links support the โ€œlock downโ€ narrative but I doubt they are very accurate.
Clearly the urban areas are more paranoid than the more rural. Look at this graft and you can see why South Dakota did not do a lock down. Had the opposite been true....would New York have shut down?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
silversand wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
When the destination is a 3, 4, 5 or more day drive from the border itโ€™s not nearly so easy to do or enforce.

....Vermont (and several other States) has/have a very well thought-out visitor entry plan. If transiting through Vermont, and your vehicle is not "plated" with a Vermont license plate (a visitor and resident set of criteria; see link below), you have a set amount of hours to exit the State (this allows for re-fueling). Additionally, Vermont has a dynamically updated "infection statistic" for every County from North Carolina to Maine (and a few States West of), and if you originate from any County that had an infection stat below a certain threshold, you and your passengers could come into Vermont and actually remain for non-discretionary travel without quarantine. And in addition to that, every Vermont hotel, B & B, and all overnighting businesses have Vermont State covid forms that are filled out (Certificate of Compliance) by the overnighting facility staff (in the case of a customer either coming in needing quarantine at the hotel, or, non quarantine situation, the overnighting facility needs to report the visitor and status).

link->

I can see this Vermont system working for any Canadian (and, US) snowbird traveling south (across numerous States), heading for the 4 traditional snowbirding States. So, if you are traveling from say Quebec to Florida, the US CBP would direct incoming Canadian snowbirds heading to Florida to take the "shortest route" (ie. the I-95). This would mean traversing (I think?) 11 States. It would take us 2 overnights (1 in Maryland; 1 in North Carolina). So, if hotels are used (because it may be too cold to sleep in the RV), on arrival, the hotel would register the traveling party: in and out time, and geographical origin. Also, any State police cruiser (and overpass scanners) on the I-95 (and every Interstate) would be auto-scanning (foreign and, out-of-state) license plates, that communicate with US CBP and cross-State data.

A quick Google search brought up this tidbit ......

"The Canadian Snowbird Association estimates that at least 350,000 Canadians spend three to six months in Florida...."

So if they're all couples that's at least 175,000 couples, if only say 1/3rd of them drive south that's north of (pun intended) 60,000 southbound vehicles to track.

Never gonna happen!!!

A 2019 DHS report concluded that were more than 666+k people in the US who had merely over-stayed their visit and that they really had no idea who or where they were.

If they can't find them they're not going to have the resources to track a bunch of snowbirds.

They have a better, easier system in place ...... a closed border!!!

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
.....Nanos Research and Ipsos is doing the Canadian polling vis. Canada / US covid border closure sentiment:

link->

and,

link->
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
When the destination is a 3, 4, 5 or more day drive from the border itโ€™s not nearly so easy to do or enforce.

....Vermont (and several other States) has/have a very well thought-out visitor entry plan. If transiting through Vermont, and your vehicle is not "plated" with a Vermont license plate (a visitor and resident set of criteria; see link below), you have a set amount of hours to exit the State (this allows for re-fueling). Additionally, Vermont has a dynamically updated "infection statistic" for every County from North Carolina to Maine (and a few States West of), and if you originate from any County that had an infection stat below a certain threshold, you and your passengers could come into Vermont and actually remain for non-discretionary travel without quarantine. And in addition to that, every Vermont hotel, B & B, and all overnighting businesses have Vermont State covid forms that are filled out (Certificate of Compliance) by the overnighting facility staff (in the case of a customer either coming in needing quarantine at the hotel, or, non quarantine situation, the overnighting facility needs to report the visitor and status).

link->

I can see this Vermont system working for any Canadian (and, US) snowbird traveling south (across numerous States), heading for the 4 traditional snowbirding States. So, if you are traveling from say Quebec to Florida, the US CBP would direct incoming Canadian snowbirds heading to Florida to take the "shortest route" (ie. the I-95). This would mean traversing (I think?) 11 States. It would take us 2 overnights (1 in Maryland; 1 in North Carolina). So, if hotels are used (because it may be too cold to sleep in the RV), on arrival, the hotel would register the traveling party: in and out time, and geographical origin. Also, any State police cruiser (and overpass scanners) on the I-95 (and every Interstate) would be auto-scanning (foreign and, out-of-state) license plates, that communicate with US CBP and cross-State data.
Silver