cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Jesse-behavior

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Jesse was diagnosed as being diabetic over the summer. We've adjusted his insulin a couple of times and the dose appears to be correct. He also is on .7 Thyrotab twice/day. Over the past few weeks he rarely sleeps more than an hour at a time at night, so he's up constantly wanting water and wanting to go outside. In the a.m. he wants to drink gallons. He pants all the time but he's always done that. He also just got finished another round of antibiotics for a major skin infection. He is better during the day on most days but occasionally he's just really antsy and won't settle down. Bloodwork is fine-no signs of kidney or liver issues. Vet has ruled out Cushing's disease. Before the diabetes was diagnosed he was peeing a lot (as is normal) so I'm wondering if some of the issues at night might be more of a learned behavior. He goes out but doesn't always pee a lot. He is 11 and a half. I am not getting much sleep and it is adversely affecting my health. Although he is not incontinent he has had some accidents in the house, mostly due to our inattention. When he has to go he has to go NOW and if we aren't quick enough he can't wait. Thoughts?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
8 REPLIES 8

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
agteacher wrote:
I was diagnosed diabetic in January. What are you feeding? I would concentrate on a natural meat based food with limited grains of any kind. Add more vegetables. Corn, rice, or wheat products are going to raise blood sugar. Also, try to limit late night eating; however, don't make the dogs go longer than 12 hours without eating. An early morning egg for each might be a good option to help stabalize early morning glucose levels. Think low carb, high protein. AVOID "no carb" diets.

We are feeding him vet recommended food. He is now starting to settle in at night. Both dogs go for a BGE tomorrow. We'll see how it looks.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I was diagnosed diabetic in January. What are you feeding? I would concentrate on a natural meat based food with limited grains of any kind. Add more vegetables. Corn, rice, or wheat products are going to raise blood sugar. Also, try to limit late night eating; however, don't make the dogs go longer than 12 hours without eating. An early morning egg for each might be a good option to help stabalize early morning glucose levels. Think low carb, high protein. AVOID "no carb" diets.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bert the Welder wrote:
Have they done head x-rays to check for a tumor on his brain?

No. Vet doesn't think this is necessary as of yet.

Douglas Adams

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ wrote:
Drinking and peeing a lot are symptoms of elevated glucose levels. You said that his insulin dose appears to be correct, how do you know? Glucose levels can fluctuate a lot depending on a whole host of variables. Do you have a glucose meter that you can use to test him at home? If not, Walmart has them pretty cheap.

Multiple curve tests plus random BGE tests have been done. He was better last night than he's been so we're hoping that it's just some time as his body adjusts.

Douglas Adams

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Drinking and peeing a lot are symptoms of elevated glucose levels. You said that his insulin dose appears to be correct, how do you know? Glucose levels can fluctuate a lot depending on a whole host of variables. Do you have a glucose meter that you can use to test him at home? If not, Walmart has them pretty cheap.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have they done head x-rays to check for a tumor on his brain?
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I now have two vets trying to puzzle it out. He was better last night so we're taking a "wait and see" attitude. The second vet said that maybe using a calming med (gabapentin?) at night might help. On top of it all Jake has now been diagnosed as being diabetic. It's a twofer!

On edit:

makes me wonder if all the water he drinks is messing with the thyroid drug's effectiveness??

He's been tested a couple of times and it seems fine. The vet is supposed to call me Wednesday and see how he's doing. I'll ask her if that's a possibility. Thanks.

Douglas Adams

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My Jimmy (35 lb Aussiepoo) was diabetic, but was able to go all night without drinking or peeing, although wore a "cummerbund" to catch any leaks if he was soundly sleeping. Clearly, Jesse has more going on than diabetes - makes me wonder if all the water he drinks is messing with the thyroid drug's effectiveness?? Maybe you should message Dr Doug?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!