Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Preparing to Camp Host

billd99
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Fellow RV'rs and Lovers of the Great Outdoors,

My wife and I are in the process of retiring and moving to a life outdoors. Starting in Spring 2021, for the next 3-4 years we plan to Camp Host in paid positions until our social security kicks in... then we will start taking volunteer positions with public agencies (State Parks, Forest Service, ACOE, etc), ultimate plan is to find an interesting home as Docents and "settle in".

We'd love a shout out from anyone with experience as Camp Hosts... both positive and negative feedback are appreciated... we will reach out to establish contact... maybe you can help guide us thru some of our many questions.

Saludos,
Bill & Laurie O'Doyle
13 REPLIES 13

billd99
Explorer
Explorer
lostbytes wrote:
Also, make sure it doesn't screw up the medical ins tho!!! If you do go that route of working...

Thanks LostBytes... we are looking into Medicare/Medicaid now, we hit both our initial elegibility periods this year.

UPDATE: We spent lots of time thinking... I realized our skill sets are a perfect match for RV companies with multiple properties needing development managers, multi-park management, design assist, construction management... and we both enjoy working. We found an excellent position paying well enough that we don't need to touch our "nest egg" before we are eligible for full SS, yet flexible enough and much lower stress than the last 40 years... and we get our choice of parks and spaces to live w/full utilities... nice!

lostbytes
Explorer
Explorer
Also, make sure it doesn't screw up the medical ins tho!!! If you do go that route of working...

lostbytes
Explorer
Explorer
Well. I did hosting at logger campground in 2014 for CLM and then, no more paid hosting as it's volunteers now. Could be in Tahoe region only tho. Now, speaking of making money that I just read somewhere that it's called, "ticket back to work" that started in 2019. However, I don't know if it affects the benefits as the regular back to work program did. I believe it's for the disability group.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
You could also look at different options. There are a few good paying temp, seasonal jobs that could pay for your camping for the rest of the year, especially if both of you work. I'm talking about things like the sugar beet harvest and Amazon. A couple working 3 months at Amazon for peak season can definitely take the rest of the year off. This option avoids the worst parts of camp hosting.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

billd99
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
...Most prime Camp Host positions are filled by previous Hosts or on the 'LIST'

Hey Old Biscuit.. what is the "LIST"? Yeah, we know we'll have to establish ourselves for a year or two to get the good spots... that is as it should be.

BD

billd99
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
...you might also wake up to a domestic altercation, after hours generator, party, horns, drunks, forest fire, & people banging your door at some unusual hour with an โ€œissueโ€... Free camping is a plus, but, then you find it necessary to go to a lot of campsites as they are to busy to deposit the $$$, or they think itโ€™s FREE, or they only have a rubber check, or they will pay when they leave,...Anyway a lot of time spent collecting and then the paperwork... And cleaning the bathrooms is a whole different topic we could talk about all day long & into the morning...But some campgrounds are easier than others and some are a pain... Personally Iโ€™d say give it a go ; you can always say adios....

Yikes, a few "gotchas" there I hadn't considered. Any suggestions on where to look for campgrounds where people are more likely to behave? (specific agencies, or areas of the country, etc)

As for bathrooms/vaults, I've always questioned why Hosts don't get their own portable pressure washer... would make the work easier, faster, and produce a cleaner biffy.

billd99
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Have you run the numbers of not working those last few years and the effect on your SS monthly benefit? See...https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/stopwork.html

Lwiddis: Really great feedback. I have not spent near enough time researching our SS options, didn't realize the penalties of stopping work. Thanks for the link... sounds like I have some homework to do.

We are in good condition financially... no debt, lot's of liquid investments, lot's of clear-owned rental property... the SS is really icing on the cake, but you are right... it would be irresponsible if we did not seek to max our benefits.

Earnings have been very good for the last 4 years... maybe we should take benefits now?

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest concern being a camp host would be access to healthcare. Some places are a long distance from a cardiac unit, ect.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Where are you finding all of these 'paid positions' that pay enough to live on before SS kicks in????

Most prime Camp Host positions are filled by previous Hosts or on the 'LIST'

X2, mostly
We have been volunteer host for going on seven years, the first three while working full time at our jobs, now as Full Time Host. Never had a paid position.
We still enjoy it, though we are seeing a few more less than desirable campers.
If you are a paid Host, sometimes you also need to pay for your site or at least for the power to your site.
In Oregon three months is the normal max stay in a park, then you need to move to another location. We try to keep booked between 12 months to 18 months out or longer.
It isn't a bad way to live, but I would not depend on the income to live on.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Here in NY Camp Hosts are "State Positions" so politics and paper work to get a spot.
On a plus side, toilet cleaning is responsibility is on SP employees not hosts.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are you finding all of these 'paid positions' that pay enough to live on before SS kicks in????

Most prime Camp Host positions are filled by previous Hosts or on the 'LIST'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
We have done camphosting for about 6 seasons; thereโ€™s of course the good things & good people that make it enjoyable & rewarding ....But this year when wife started crying I told her โ€œ weโ€™re done.โ€ Fortunately weโ€™re financially stable....The camping crowd mentality, attitude & life choices have changed ....The pluses are waking up in a nice location ( you might also wake up to a domestic altercation, after hours generator, party, horns, drunks, forest fire, & people banging your door at some unusual hour with an โ€œissueโ€... Free camping is a plus, but, then you find it necessary to go to a lot of campsites as they are to busy to deposit the $$$, or they think itโ€™s FREE, or they only have a rubber check, or they will pay when they leave,...Anyway a lot of time spent collecting and then the paperwork... And cleaning the bathrooms is a whole different topic we could talk about all day long & into the morning...But some campgrounds are easier than others and some are a pain... Personally Iโ€™d say give it a go ; you can always say adios....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to a campsite, what pay are you expecting? Have you run the numbers of not working those last few years and the effect on your SS monthly benefit? See...https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/stopwork.html

โ€œIf You Stop Work Before You Start Receiving Benefits

If you stop work before you start receiving benefits and you have less than 35 years of earnings, your benefit amount is affected. We use a zero for each year without earnings when we calculate the amount of retirement benefits you are due. Years with no earnings reduces your retirement benefit amount.

Even if you have 35 years of earnings when you stopped working, some of those years may be low-earning years. When you file for retirement benefits, those years are averaged into your calculation, creating a lower benefit. However, if you had continued to work, your low earning years are replaced with your high earning years. Higher earnings increase your benefit amount.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad