cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPMS for the alcoa wheels

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed a system in their alcoa wheels? If so what brand? A dealer tried to install in the wheel ones for me but said they would not let the tires go pat without messing them up. I told him to see if he could find another system and so far nothing.

So if you have please advise. I bought longer stems but now cant find and you cant use screw on tps with extenders!
17 REPLIES 17

Ldfeat
Explorer II
Explorer II

I  have the Alcoa Aluminum wheels with Borg stems and use tireminder.com. Great external system IMO. It monitors the towed too. Plus they provide lifetime supply of free batteries. Great customer support too! Larry, 2014 Reyo P

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I would have found this sooner. I'm now working this problem. Thanks for the information.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with the TST in tire TPMS sensors.
I have the ALCOA wheels also, along with 6 Michelin XPS Rib tires.

The ride quality is night and day difference.
The lower unsprung weight of the aluminum wheels really help.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Axles_of_Evil
Explorer
Explorer
Basically the steering is crisper at speeds over 20 MPH, feels more responsive and it tracks down the road with less effort on the steering wheel at higher speeds. These differences became very noticeable in the first drive back home after they were installed. I suppose the steering effect is due to the inertia differences due to weight between the original heavy steels and the lighter Alcoa's. Apart from the looks which is improved greatly, they appear to be functional by contributing to the overall feel and handling of the coach.

I already upgraded the front sway bar (Roadmaster) and steering stabilizer which improved it very noticeably. Had the alignment done at the same time. My rig has the J-Ride Plus with the Helwig rear sway bar and helper springs which I did before the Alcoa upgrade. So it seems with every upgrade, the ride and feel just keeps improving.

Last on the list will be the SuperSteer rear trac bar which is on order now. Many say this piece by itself is a stellar upgrade as well, so we will see.

I also plan on getting rid of the Hankook tires that it came with and installing 6 Michelin XPS Rib tires instead. Reason for this is less chance of tire problems especially in the middle of Highway 50 in Nevada where the nearest town is 50 miles away. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Otherwise for a brand new rig, this Entegra 29V is awesome and we have not had any issues with it other than fixing the door draft with weather stripping from Home Depot. The new V8 7.3 is a champ!

Hope this helps

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Axles of Evil: What difference did you notice in the drive feel between the Alcoas and the steel rims?

Axles_of_Evil
Explorer
Explorer
Alcoa wheel help using TPMS sensors and the nonsense I went through to make it work on the new 2021 Class C E450 with factory TPMS. I found the solution and it works, so hopefully this story will help those who want new Alcoa's on their class C that have factory TPMS already installed. Read on.....

I just got through working my way regarding this nightmare! Just purchased a new 2021 Entegra Esteem 29V which came with steels and Ford factory TPMS system consisting of the sensor mounted to the valve stem inside the tire area itself. The dash shows the tire pressures of all 6 wheels. Great....so all I have to do is change the steel rims for Alcoa's. I wanted the Dura-Bright versions for easier maintenance as opposed to ordering from the factory (which they have discontinued alloys now because of this TPMS addition to the 2021 model.

So I buy the kit or set from Truckwheels and it is looking good to go, and all I have to do is go to the shop and have them changed...right?

WRONG!

The new Alcoa wheels come with metal valve stems that are actually 9.7mm (or 0.390in) diameter with NO PROVISION for factory internal TPMS sensor connection at the inner part of the valve. Wow....but OK, I am sure I can find these easily.....again, WRONG!

Turns out the folks at Alcoa use this metric 9.7mm hole for the valve stem instead of the normal...what everyone else in the world uses...a 0.453 diameter valve stem.

Why?....WHY did Alcoa choose to use a valve stem of 9.7mm and not the ubiquitous 0.453? This makes absolutely no sense to me at all as 9.7mm valve stems are not widely used.

So now, this was beginning to get annoying as it was looking like I was not going to be able to make the ford factory TPMS system work with the new rims.

Called Alcoa...absolutely no help at all. In fact the "Tech" had no idea what I was talking about referencing TPMS sensors. So now, here I am looking for 9.7mm valve stems that can accommodate the factory TPMS sensors so that the tire pressure system that is already built into the Ford E450 dash will work.

I called everywhere, I searched the internet and was amazed to find nothing that could assist in solving this issue. Spoke with many a tire shop....huh, that's weird was the ultimate answer.
Unreal!...but I marched on.

Finally, the ONLY current solution I found to this problem is to use DILL VS-35 TPMS valve stems. They have a 45 degree bend in them, and they will work. They are used for the DODGE Dually with Factory Alcoa rims. Because of the 45 deg bend, it will just be a bit fiddley to check the front pressure, but they fit perfectly for the rear outer dually. For the fronts, I use a long flexible hose extension and that works well. Not that hard to check, just a bit of twisting and turning as the valve stem points away from the hole in the rim and more towards the hub. Its doable to check and add air, so don't be afraid, just a bit of messing about.

So yes, I found a solution that works, and now have new Alcoa DuraBright rims on my 2021 Entegra Esteem 29V coach that uses the Ford factory TPMS system (internal sensors) which displays all six tire pressures on the dash info screen. (my two dually inners are still the Ford steel wheels).

I do hope this story helps others with the same dilemma as I could find absolutely nothing in reference to this issue. Perhaps it has just surfaced with the new 2021 Ford E450 upgrade, but I dont really know.

I am sure at some point, a manufacturer will make TPMS metal valve stems that are straight for this application, but until then, here is a great alternative. BTW, the difference in the drive feel between the steel and alloy rims is night and day. A great upgrade and looks a lot better than the awful simulators.

m

Hello,

I have the same issue with my EE 29V and the Alcoa rims. I purchased exactly what you said but the vs 35 do not fit into the sensors that Ford tells me fit my coach. Did you use the TPMS-62 from Ford?

Thanks!!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR, thank you for that chart, I'm glad to see that. I don't know how they can make so many specific sizes to fit individual makes and models. It must cost the company a fortune to do that.
When I called Alcoa they thought they were all LUGS and used inserts. I was seeing some trucks come into the truck shop with broken studs on their aftermarket wheels from being overloaded, so I figured I would call to ask. :h:B

I like that Ford , looks great !

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Aren’t most all aftermarket wheels lug centric , including Alcoa ?
If that’s the case , which i think it is, then that would explain why they are sensitive to being overloaded ?
The lugs would center and carry the weight instead of the hub , like an OEM steel wheel.
If that’s the case then it’s imperative to weigh your rig.

I wouldn’t say “most” when it comes to Alcoa. In the sizes I was using, most of them were hub pilot.

These Hotshot beauties were on my ‘95 F350. Sadly, long gone 😞

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
On mine, Bob.... it is a mix (typical), i.e., a steel wheel inboard and an Alcoa outboard. Both have very little clearance over the hub and are, in fact, a bit of a tussle to get off. The lug nuts are the "built-in-washer" type.....not conical and they only call out 140 ft-lb of torque .... stamped on the lug nuts. That is the config for 16" wheels, dunno about larger ones. I believe the GVWR is the same for all steel as for the Alcoa-wheeled rigs with 16" wheels.....if that's germane.
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
If that’s the case , which i think it is, then that would explain why they are sensitive to being overloaded ?
The lugs would center and carry the weight instead of the hub , like an OEM steel wheel.
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Install Borg Dual Wheel metal stems and you'll no longer need extenders and you can add TPMS tire sensors.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Install Borg Dual Wheel metal stems and you'll no longer need extenders and you can add TPMS tire sensors.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob