1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
7 REPLIES 7

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I’m getting six 275/70/22.5 561’s put on tomorrow.
Date codes 1620 out the door $2700
2015 Wrangler JKU

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Firestone FS561 on front and back and love them, I have no steering issues and they ride soft, quiet and smooth, 2 years no issues...

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Firestones and Bridgestones use to over wrap the ends of the belts, or some such. They would ll make a noise and clump at certain speeds. Balancing was difficult if not impossible. No one to my knowledge uses Firestones on Supercars, not motorhomes of course. We have Michelin steer tires on all six rims. I don't remeberthe deisngation but new design in 2012. O Steer axle on road force balancer, one took one weight 1.4 ounce I think the other one not any weight. Ride was 180 degrees better than the ones taken off.Now over 6 years old but stored indoors. The G670s take off the rear in 14were 10 years old but ot and pliable inside and out with virtually no wear.Fatory Rep said good for ten years but Dealer called him aside and then i was todl they did not designate atire lfie on them. The G670s were designed fr the motorhomes and more life than the frequently changed high mileage use of semis. The rubber has lots of uv protecting compound and others but.. the tire overall wants to "river" on many motor homes on the stee axle and Goodyear won't stand behind it now. Michelin won't stand behind theirs after five years and no one does now. Sell more tires that way but on a Mh well cared for, stoed inside and away from the sun and high heat, tires should last a lot longer but should be monitored. IMO

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
At the time I purchased mine, I did not need steer tires. The dealer recommended that when the time came, I use a long haul tire for the steer tires that would offer a little more flex and better ride. Guess I was wrong about the FS561 not being a steer tire. I am, however, satisfied with them in the position that I have them. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
johnsonbert wrote:
I am using the FS 561 on the drives and tag in an 11R-22.5 size. we have had them on for 2 years now with no difficulty at all. They are not a steer tire from what I recall but have thought about using the corresponding steer tire in a Firestone when time to replace the fronts. I am thinking about a long haul 295-80-22.5 when the time comes. Will look at Firestone and maybe Continental through the FMCA discount or a Toyo, but there is no Toyo dealer near me. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert

2015 Wrangler JKU

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I am running them and would not buy them again. I bought my coach used about 18 months ago. When I bought the coach from a private party it had Michelin tires but they were original 05 due to the age I drove it straight to the tire shop and had new Firestone 561 put on. I have had issues with wandering and constantly needing to be steered making constant corrections. I have a commercial drivers license so driving large vehicles is not new for me. I can't say the issue is 100% the tires. I have had the front end aligned that helped I added a steer safe. Each thing has made it better but now I wish I had spent the extra $$ for new Michelins.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
I am using the FS 561 on the drives and tag in an 11R-22.5 size. we have had them on for 2 years now with no difficulty at all. They are not a steer tire from what I recall but have thought about using the corresponding steer tire in a Firestone when time to replace the fronts. I am thinking about a long haul 295-80-22.5 when the time comes. Will look at Firestone and maybe Continental through the FMCA discount or a Toyo, but there is no Toyo dealer near me. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT