Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LCI power steps won't shut off
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> LCI power steps won't shut off

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your step motor gear assembly is 3 plastic shear pins. Also available from Oreilly Auto.
When they fail and slip, the controller doesn't see enough current rise to shut off the motor. Easy fix.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

In your step motor gear assembly is 3 plastic shear pins. Also available from Oreilly Auto.
When they fail and slip, the controller doesn't see enough current rise to shut off the motor. Easy fix.

Richard

This is a fix for Kwikee step motors, but not for LCI. Doug

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

If the Pie gear teeth are OK, your motor is bad. Now, LCI will upgrade you to a Kwikee for a cost, if you choose not to have the recall done. Doug

GET THE RECALL DONE ASAP. YOU CAN GET SERIOUSLY HURT IF THE STEP FAILS.

Thanks, Doug. Indeed, you are right, it is the motor. [emoticon]

After looking closer at the cam stops I noted initially in this thread, I can see that they are not the problem at all. That leaves just the motor itself, or more likely the gearing inside it has worn out. I just ordered the new motor from Amazon, it'll be here early next week. Not looking forward to wrestling all those spacers around the motor back in place when replacing it, but is what it is.

This will be the 2nd time I've had to replace this motor. Last time was about 4 or 5 years ago. This seems to be a common failure point.

Doug, do you know if the Kwikee upgrade you mentioned, has a motor that is any more reliable? If so, I could be tempted to just replace the whole step unit. Don't want to keep replacing a $162 motor every few years.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since Kwikee is the ONLY electric step now, I have experianced MORE failures of the Kwikee motor than in previous years. Even under the 1 year warranty. BUT, due to the breaking off of the LCI pivot bolt, I would utilize the Trade program on my RV. Bad news is, you usually have to drill 4 new Mount bolts in the kwikee frame as the Kwikee frame and the old LCI frame are different types. Doug

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Since Kwikee is the ONLY electric step now, I have experianced MORE failures of the Kwikee motor than in previous years. Even under the 1 year warranty. BUT, due to the breaking off of the LCI pivot bolt, I would utilize the Trade program on my RV. Bad news is, you usually have to drill 4 new Mount bolts in the kwikee frame as the Kwikee frame and the old LCI frame are different types. Doug

Geeez, this makes me start to think a manual step would be a better idea.

Wonder if it'd be possible to install a manual step, and design some way of cranking the steps in/out from both outside AND inside the coach? [emoticon]

If that could be done, I'd just assume do away with the power step entirely...

Will

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, Electric steps are the only choice. Your RV is 9 years old. So, it is not like you are spending money too soon for a repair of an appliance. Doug

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update:

Got new motor, installed it this evening. Doug, you were right, it indeed was the motor. New motor in, Steps work just fine now. Woot!

Putting in the motor was just as much a PITA as I remember it was last time. Thought I was never gonna get all those screws, spacers all lined up and in place! This time to make matters worse, holes in the new motor were too small for screws to go through, so had to get the drill out and carefully ream holes to make them ever slightly bigger.

Now, onto the next issue: Leveling jacks just quit working, verified today it is indeed the motor that runs hydraulic pump. Time to source yet another electric motor, order it, and put it in. Ain’t one thing, it’s another, haha.

Anyone have a lead on where to get best deal on a Lippert motor, part # 414850? Really don’t wanna pay $900 to buy it from Lippert. Well, guess this is a discussion for another thread.

Thanks to all, especially Doug, for your insights and help with this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> LCI power steps won't shut off
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.