cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing wall USB port

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine started heating up very hot so I took it off, which meant cutting the thin black and red wires. This USB works even when we are boondocking so I think it's running on the 12v DC coming from the batteries.

So I'm looking for a (round) DC USB port, right? And I just connect red to red, black to black?

Is this going to work:

Usb port
7 REPLIES 7

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto on Blue Sea System. Marinco is top notch quality too. I added these a few years ago.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
thanks everyone

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this one a year ago and it works great.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvshrinker wrote:
Mine started heating up very hot so I took it off, which meant cutting the thin black and red wires. This USB works even when we are boondocking so I think it's running on the 12v DC coming from the batteries.

So I'm looking for a (round) DC USB port, right? And I just connect red to red, black to black?

Is this going to work:

Usb port

If you cut the wires at the device odds are that will work.

But to be safe use a volt meter to make sure red is positive and black negative.. RV's are sometimes.. ODD in this respect.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes, plug red to red and black to black. If the LED doesn't come on reverse the wires.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Those will work fine. As KD4UPL said, Black to Black, Red to Red. Make sure you use small wire nuts and cover them with electrical tape or better yet, solder the connections and cover with shrink tubing. Whatever your skill level is, just make sure there's no bare wire exposed in the wall.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Blue Sea systems. They make quality products. Also check out Powerwerx for what you're looking for.
Yes, any USB port designed to work with 12 volt DC will be fine; black to black, red to red.