Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Cold-ish weather camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cold-ish weather camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

You will need more than one battery or a small generator.....the furnace will eat a single battery a night. Or get a Mr. Buddy Heater.

Thanks, we have two batteries, a built in generator, and 4 propane tanks (which we can take to refill if needed), so we're good there [emoticon]

We do a lot of boondock camping, just not normally when it dips that cold. We did the same trip last year and it only got down in the mid-40s at the same time.
I camped in low 20's with wind and my open bottom water suction line froze. I discontinued shore power and started the built in generator that put heat underneath the camper. Within 15 minutes it was thawed out.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

We are headed up to WY in a little over a week and will be boondocking for 5-6 days. The weather forecast is 65-70 during the day, but dropping to 30-32 at night. We have tank heaters available, do we need to use them or should we be OK since it's not prolonged cold weather and we will be using the furnace?

Wow ... I'm curious as to what altitude you have to be at in WY in order to get those kind of nighttime temperatures in only the first week of September?

Is WY not participating in the warm summertime temps going on all over the U.S. ... which should also mean somewhat higher than normal temps even high up in the mountains?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it only gets down to 30ish, you should be fine! Can I assume you have heated, insulated basement/tank area? If so, you will certainly be OK.....if the forced air runs at all at night. In Wyoming higher country....not uncommon to see below freezing temperatures in September. Early October camping in a pop-up in single digits is memorable! Down here in the low country, I’m tired of seeing the upper 90’s with a 100 or two thrown in......ready to see some snow and cooler temperatures! Enjoy your time boondocking! I know that we’ looking forward to a few weeks boondocking in November/early December! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem, that is warm weather in Wyo.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At those temperatures no worries.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

op wrote:

The weather forecast is 65-70 during the day, but dropping to 30-32 at night.

One size don't fit all if temps drop to 30 degrees.
Depends on wind speeds.
Depends on how well the under side is insulated.
And depends on the under side open or enclosed.
Is the trailer a full four season unit or just a three season unit.
Lots of variables why some unit can have a frozen line and the unit next door doesn't.

We had a frozen line in 29-30 degree temps along with 18-25 mph winds in early December even with the heater going in western Oklahoma. I plugged a extension light in stuck it next to the pump and it thawed in 20 min.
I have a good indoor/outdoor temp guage. I drilled a small hole in the floor next to a wall and fished the sender under side. Its protected from road debris/sun and gives me the exact temp in my location.
Its your unit and you have heaters so use them.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN, Wind can certainly have an effect! We were in Kemmerer,Wy last November, when a good little storm came through! Night time lows below 0 F with winds in 20 to 30 mph range! We were parked with the refrigerator side facing into the wind. This is when we discovered that our refrigerator , which had been removed years earlier, had “NOT” been insulated properly around the refrigerator perimeter. The wind was coming through had enough, that it would have probably blown a candle out! The heater couldn’t keep-up, got a little cool inside......40’s inside the camper! “IF”, we’d been facing the opposite direction.....we’d have been fine! We’ve been out at -20’s before.....but, with no wind! Wind can certainly add a degree of difficulty to your camping trip!

First project once home.....waited for a warm day, and insulated the space around the refrigerator. You just never know where those “unforeseen” problems will occur! Now, I think we’re ready for those cool weather trips. memtb

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

You will need more than one battery or a small generator.....the furnace will eat a single battery a night. Or get a Mr. Buddy Heater.

Even simpler. Throw a couple extra blankets on the bed !

For very cold weather (well below freezing) add a 12VDC heat mattress pad. Much better than an electric blanket.

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all!

I'd be totally fine piling the blankets on. It's more getting out of bed in the morning that's the hard part [emoticon] That's the one plus of the rigs that have the touchpad systems... we could turn on the heat without getting out of bed probably! We do not have that though. We may still go the blanket route and keep the heat on, but at a lower temp than normal. We camped last year in my father in laws secondary rig as we didn't want to drag our old biggun toyhauler up there, and we used the heat then... he would just run a Honda 2000 for a couple hours before bed to get things charged up. Our Montana High Country does have the 4 season package.

We will be camping at around 8,000 elevation in the Green River Lakes area (near Pinedale). They have seen some higher temps like the rest of us, close to 90 during the day, but thankfully that's over with by the time we get there. It is generally not too windy this time of year (for WY standards) where we stay. I've been out there in December for snow machining when it's -10 so this isn't so bad at all [emoticon]

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

If it only gets down to 30ish, you should be fine! Can I assume you have heated, insulated basement/tank area? If so, you will certainly be OK.....if the forced air runs at all at night. In Wyoming higher country....not uncommon to see below freezing temperatures in September. Early October camping in a pop-up in single digits is memorable! Down here in the low country, I’m tired of seeing the upper 90’s with a 100 or two thrown in......ready to see some snow and cooler temperatures! Enjoy your time boondocking! I know that we’ looking forward to a few weeks boondocking in November/early December! memtb

Yup we are all heated and insulated down there. I am with you.. down here in CO it's been high 90's for weeks! I spent last weekend in the Snowy Range and it was so nice for some cooler weather, so I'm anxiously awaiting this longer trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cold-ish weather camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.