cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laura evacuation.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone leaving the Gulf Coast to avoid hurricane Laura ? Our news is reporting its now a Cat 4
21 REPLIES 21

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
Do you suppose there might be people in homes built to withstand a hurricane? Can't speak for LA but Florida requires homes to be built to standards to survive a hurricane. Friend of mine has a home next to the gulf where his first floor is built for storm surge. The upper two floors are built for a hurricane. He survived one a few years ago. Didn't evacuate, just rode out the storm. No damage to his house.

20 foot surge was forecast. That is higher than my house.. Thankfully it wasn't reported to happen. but hurricane proof or not 20' of water will ruin a house
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Do you suppose there might be people in homes built to withstand a hurricane? Can't speak for LA but Florida requires homes to be built to standards to survive a hurricane. Friend of mine has a home next to the gulf where his first floor is built for storm surge. The upper two floors are built for a hurricane. He survived one a few years ago. Didn't evacuate, just rode out the storm. No damage to his house.

Speaking as a long-time former FLorida resident I can agree that it's all good to have a hurricane-fortified home, HOWEVER that doesn't mean you'll have electricity, water, etc after a major storm -- and who knows for how long after a storm you'll be without these necessary services. Also, if you and your home survive, but the access to your home is blocked by floodwaters, downed trees, etc, you're in far worse shape than if you had evacuated, especially in the case of a medical emergency. Smart people evacuate. Riding out a major storm is just plain foolish, and puts extra pressure on first responders. Then, when it's all over, go back to your solid-as-a-rock home, and all is good.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
State of Texas sent two C 130 to Port Arthur to pick up the recalcitrant ones who had not evacuated. They left empty because no one showed up!

SMH!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks for the responses. I would definitely jack up my house.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
A curiosity question. It's an annual thing these hurricanes. Knock my house down or flood it once, ok, I'll rebuild it. Do it on an annual basis and why would anyone want to live there knowing you're going to get your butt kicked over and over.

Hurricanes don't hit the same place every year, unlike snow, ice, and freezing cold temperatures for months at a time -- precisely why I left Michigan so many years ago. In your location I'm sure you're very familiar with what I'm saying :C

Neither do tornadoes or earthquakes.

Been "through" several earthquakes in the SoCA region. Although several (Sylmar, Northridge, etc.) caused major damage, none have ever affected me or my homes (knock on wood).

However - I was in the USAF in Wichita Falls, TX -up close and personal- for the 1964 Tornado that went thru Sheppard AFB - and I'll take EQ "dangers" any time.

Of course, I spent 30 years running into burning buildings (and brush areas all over the state) when folks were going the other way. So ya takes your chances and plan ahead to be safe!!

:W

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why is anyone still there.?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
A curiosity question. It's an annual thing these hurricanes. Knock my house down or flood it once, ok, I'll rebuild it. Do it on an annual basis and why would anyone want to live there knowing you're going to get your butt kicked over and over.

Hurricanes don't hit the same place every year, unlike snow, ice, and freezing cold temperatures for months at a time -- precisely why I left Michigan so many years ago. In your location I'm sure you're very familiar with what I'm saying :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Cousin had a nice beachfront home and very large yard and access to beach. Storms and tide destroyed it twice...and Federally subsidized insurance rebuilt it twice including the furnishings.
In North Carolina, as elsewhere, we looked at some beachfront properties but...if the storms took them out there was no rebuilding allowed and of course no insurance against storm damage.
Prices were cheap if you could get financing.
Most buildings, condos, homes etc are rent properties now, owned by people who may never visit them. The incomes from renting are high and the insurance is a business expense. We subsidize the owners through the insurance.
We thought about buying on the beach when i was still able to work but realized it would be a huge expense for two or thee weeks or even four a year. Most who own do not live there or use them that much after the initial joy? of owning the home on an ocean beach.
We didn't consider renting for profit and our use back then.
Yes. the Owners keep the business cards of their last builder, as they know they will more than likely have to rebuild, and they are any good.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman
Most people live near where they work. Many people like the sun, sand and beach life. Hurricanes don't destroy people's homes every year. In fact people do adapt. They either move or elevate their homes. Most hurricane seasons are just a minor inconvenience kind of like the cold or snow.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
During the last hurricanes motels were booked up in our part of southern Tennessee...and likely elsewhere. A lot of people along the coast and everyone headed north needs to make reservations at RV Parks or motels, anywhere near an Interstate and possibly many miles either side of the Interstates ormajor roads.

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
Most counties in the impacted areas ordered mandatory evacuations starting yesterday morning. Last night on the news they said if you hadn't left already, it's probably too late. Safe travels to those on the road.
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I can't believe you're even asking this question. Get out while you can.

I live 250 miles north of expected landfall region. I'm just asking to make some aware. I saw last night that lots of hotels north of Lufkin were allready full. There are quite a few RV parks up my way with spots today.