Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A plea to get involved
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A plea to get involved

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not one to get on a soapbox, but your help is needed. It is not known yet what the General Election process will look like. Hopefully, it will be the time honored process of Americans going to the polls on November 3rd with very few problems. Of course, the current pandemic may change all of that. There have been reports in my State that many Poll Workers are not working this year. Many are older, retired people with some medical issues. In the polling site I work at, we have 10 to 12 workers, and I have heard of at least 5 are not working this year. I have been talking to some people trying to recruit them to sign up to work, but so far, no takers. All for the same reason, fear of the virus.
I am sure many other areas are having the same problem. I do not know what precautions will be taken, but as long as I am able, I will work. I am 70, and a couple of health issues, but I take pride in working the last 15 years during the Elections.
Please contact your local County Clerks office to check if they are recruiting workers. They provide training, and if you can work a 12 hour day, you will be providing a great service to your community.

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There definitely is a need for help. Keep this non-partisan please. Thank you.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope this is not to political. We are discussing a public health problem, politics should not be involved.

I'm over 70, so if I get the virus, there is a chance I will die. I work as a poll judge. Over half century ago I swore a oath to protect the Constitution. I will overcome my fears show up and work unless I'm tested and there is a fear I will spread it.
I have worked 3 elections sense this started. None have been large turn-out, and we have not had all the places open. With each one has improved on cleaning. The last election we had 1 young man work with all the boomers, hope he comes back.

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby, yes it is nice when you have the younger person involved. A couple of years ago we had a young college student help us and it just added a different dimension to the atmosphere. I wish they would give college students credit if they work during elections. Used to, if you were working, employers were a little more lenient about leaving work to vote, not so much anymore.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redcatcher70 wrote:

JRscooby, yes it is nice when you have the younger person involved. A couple of years ago we had a young college student help us and it just added a different dimension to the atmosphere. I wish they would give college students credit if they work during elections. Used to, if you were working, employers were a little more lenient about leaving work to vote, not so much anymore.

Back when I had employees I was told I had to give them at least 2 hours of to vote. I made it a point to leave a pickup at the quarry to use to run to polling place. (Drivers that did not work for me used it to) Did not want anybody stopping in a church parking lot with a truck.
I think the young man was kind of intimidated because he had only been thru on-line training. I was first time, and I had been to the class. Now it is the responsibility, but by the rules no judge can do anything without another judge of the other party watching. It is a long day, and we all hope for a boring one.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see the issue with pole judges, I hope younger people will get involved as voting is so important to our democracy.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All my life, for every primary, I have been asked which party ballot I want to vote. Never did I need to say and be recorded which party I support, until I signed up to be a judge. They need to know,because each poll must have even number D/R because every job must be done by both parties. Still, there is no mandate that tells me I must vote for the party listed.
I keep replying to this, hopping others will decide This needs to be done, and I could do that. Democracy is not a spectator sport.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

I see the issue with pole judges, I hope younger people will get involved as voting is so important to our democracy.

At my age I am highly qualified for the title "Senior Citizen" and in these days of COVID-19... Working the election is not recommended.

* This post was edited 08/22/20 04:48pm by an administrator/moderator *

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I voted by mail for the first time in this year's primary. It was supposed to be in May but was delayed due to COVID. I was surprised and reassured by the security measures taken by our election board. There were numbered ballots, initials by election officials on the ballot, then signatures required in multiple places. I suspect there are more ballots disqualified because someone didn't sign or signed in the wrong place or a poll judge didn't think the signature matched that on the registration.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks, just a reminder. This thread is NOT about anything other than: Please contact your local County Clerks office to check if they are recruiting workers. They provide training, and if you can work a 12 hour day, you will be providing a great service to your community.

Lets keep it on that topic. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A plea to get involved
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.