cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which shocks to buy?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to buy new shocks for my coach a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 34H Diesel pusher Cat C7 with XC Freightliner Chassis. I ordered shocks but the ones I got are the stock Sachs. I have been reading up on the shocks and they don't rate the stock shocks very well. I am going to take them back and either order Bilstein or Koni shocks. An artical I read rated the Bilstein a little better than the Koni and they are less money. Shock Article
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
11 REPLIES 11

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Call Freightliner with your VIN.
I tried and got an answering machine and left a message no call back. Maybe I need a new phone number. I have called in the past before the virus and got through.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Call Freightliner with your VIN.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I am having trouble identifying which Freightliner XC chassis I have so I can order the shocks. I have tried calling Shock Warehouse and they don't answer. I tried contacting Freightliner and no luck. They list Freightliner with a rigid front axle and one with an air chassis on the page to order the shocks I also see XC with raised rail or straight rail chassis?? My manual only lists that it is an XC chassis. My MH has a I beam axle front end with air bags front and rear. Anyone know how to identify it?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Guys, the OP has an XC Freightliner Chassis.

Comments about shocks on completely different chassis may be misleading.

I would look at the Koni FSD shocks for your DP.

This is the hard thing about researching this most comments come from folks with different chassis and suspension types. My MH has air bags and not springs. The article I posted above was testing a chassis just like mine they tested a 36' rig mine is 34' 10" so very close. My chassis is a Freightliner XC what I can't seem to figure out is if it is a raised frame rail so I can order the proper shocks.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both are a step up from nearly everything else.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, the OP has an XC Freightliner Chassis.

Comments about shocks on completely different chassis may be misleading.

I would look at the Koni FSD shocks for your DP.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny Hurryup wrote:
When I first bought a Class A (1999 33 ft National SeaBreeze) In around 2007, I thought that it rode terrible. I had new Monroe shocks put on it. Noticed absolutely no difference

Did you have the Firestone Airbags?

Al

Johnny_Hurryup
Explorer
Explorer
When I first bought a Class A (1999 33 ft National SeaBreeze) In around 2007, I thought that it rode terrible. I had new Monroe shocks put on it. Noticed absolutely no difference

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Bilsteins are gas charged and will transfer small bumps back through the steering. Koni FSD shocks are not gas charged and will absorb the smaller road joint bumps. Both work fine on the bigger bumps.

Agreed....we had Bilsteins and the ride was very harsh. Now it's a Ford F53 chassis (2006 National Seabreeze) so trying to make it ride nice is like putting lipstick on a pig. That said, just put on Koni FSD shocks, and there is a noticeable difference in the ride. Not near as jarring over bridge transitions or expansion joints. Potholes really made no difference, but a really bad road is a really bad road whatever you use. Was worth it to us. I should add the Bilsteins were about 4 years old.

Al

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bilsteins are gas charged and will transfer small bumps back through the steering. Koni FSD shocks are not gas charged and will absorb the smaller road joint bumps. Both work fine on the bigger bumps.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Stock shocks are rather poor even when new. The mechanics joke is their made to just get you from the dealer to home. Bilstein's are very good.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.