cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium conversion concern

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my battery with a Battle Born 100ah and my converter with a Progressive Dynamics unit. When I'm plugged in I show 14.5 volts which is easily a volt higher than before (most of the time). Do I have to consider protecting the circuit boards in my fridge and water heater in a 12 year old trailer? Is this even an issue or am I over complicating things?
14 REPLIES 14

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bert,

Good question. SiO2 experience level for RV usage is low. Don from past posts uses his RV when it's cold so he's interested in batteries that don't have temperature limitiations. And lower cost is a nice benefit. The SiO2 batteries certainly look promising.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
What is so difficult--the SiO2 are a drop in replacement.

Are they really drop in or kinda work, but not optimally? And I don't know what system comes with the new camper. It doesn't seem like the charging for AGM's is the same for Lith. ( variations in charging input at various stages in the charge cycle, etc.)
I've leaned enough times that there can be a vast difference between proper and "Ah, It'll be fine..." and usually that difference ends up being $$$$$$
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is so difficult--the SiO2 are a drop in replacement.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apologies to Durb, don't mean to hi-jack.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Bert the Welder wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
BFL13,

You can Li all you want!

If there are an affordable cold version Li, I would own a set. As it is, next summer I intend to come to BC and pick up 4 to 8 SiO2 jars.

Where you getting them in BC?

https://azimuthsolar.ca/contact-us/

1050 Richter Street
Kelowna, BC, V1Y 2K5, Canada

Thanks! Any experience with them? I like the idea of the kits and wonder if I got one, if I could hand it off to N.Lite or BF to have them install it when I order my new camper, instead of their stock unit? I hate the idea of getting a new camper only to have to swap out new parts to change to Li. And I'm not gonna even attempt a DIY and doubt any place on the island is reliable enough to do the install.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bert the Welder wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
BFL13,

You can Li all you want!

If there are an affordable cold version Li, I would own a set. As it is, next summer I intend to come to BC and pick up 4 to 8 SiO2 jars.

https://azimuthsolar.ca/contact-us/

1050 Richter Street
Kelowna, BC, V1Y 2K5, Canada
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
I just replaced my battery with a Battle Born 100ah and my converter with a Progressive Dynamics unit. When I'm plugged in I show 14.5 volts which is easily a volt higher than before (most of the time). Do I have to consider protecting the circuit boards in my fridge and water heater in a 12 year old trailer? Is this even an issue or am I over complicating things?

No need to be concerned - and because this is dc, much depends on where you are taking the voltage measurement at... Itโ€™s always best to measure real-world voltage directly at the batteryโ€™s terminals...

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
BFL13,

You can Li all you want!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI - Costco is carrying Lithium batteries, at least online. Good price too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BFL13,

You can Li all you want!

Regards, Don

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.bestconverter.com/PD9160AL-60-Amp-12-volt-Lithium-ConverterCharger_p_605.html#.Xz8x4WySm4...

Suggest read threads from this forum from a few months ago that went into the whole PD thing. I don't have a PD or Li (and never will! ๐Ÿ™‚ and have been banned from even saying Li because I don't have a dog in this race. Oops I said Li , my bad! ๐Ÿ˜ž
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
No issues at 14.x volts for your electronics. the fridge is good until 15.4 , EG.

The real question is whether you have to limit the time at 14.4 or so and if it even goes too high with the Battle Born, depending on which PD model you have and what that might really mean.

Recent discussions on that here left that all as an unknown, with some choosing one way and some another.

I don't know what is the correct answer.

Thanks. PD9160AL. Is it wait and see then?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No issues at 14.x volts for your electronics. the fridge is good until 15.4 , EG.

The real question is whether you have to limit the time at 14.4 or so and if it even goes too high with the Battle Born, depending on which PD model you have and what that might really mean.

Recent discussions on that here left that all as an unknown, with some choosing one way and some another.

I don't know what is the correct answer.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The bulk charging voltage for flooded batteries is 14.4-14.8V so I would not expect any problem with your electronics.

You've been undercharging your batteries for 12 years.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob