Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: TT storage criteria
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT storage criteria

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I will need to arrange for offsite (i.e. not at my home) storage of our new TT when we are not using it. My TT is 25' tongue to tail.

There are several places nearby, but besides price, what criteria should I be using to evaluate which places are good and which I should stay away from?

Are there specific questions I should ask when calling them for info?

Thank you.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously security and access, but #1 is surveillance. In a busy storage facility it's more common for batteries and LP tanks to go missing and/or some new guy backing his trailer for the first time backs into yours. If you plan to go out frequently ask about access to electric so that you can plug the TT in and leave the fridge on. If not consider a small solar battery maintainer (which may grow legs...)

Some lots only have a camera at the gate so if your TT gets stolen they can see the truck that towed it away, but anything else is "off the record". I would want 24/7 cam coverage so if anything else goes awry there's a record of it.

Also consider joining your local camping/campers FB page or community page and ask for recommendations from other RV/boat owners. Any of your neighbors store an RV or boat somewhere?

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good points of input from BurbMan. Two others that jump to mind are accessibility and surface. Is it concrete? Overgrown grass that houses critters and snakes? Also, what does the back-in look like? Is it tight up against storage facilities and between two long trailers, making access difficult, or do you have more opportunity to straighten out and back in?

Our current lot has been good, but I grow tired of having to have a spotter with me every time I park it in order to avoid getting out 5 times to check my blind corner while backing in on an angle.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who is responsable for damage. So if someone hits your camper and takes off.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So apparently, like actual RV units, storage units are scarce right now as well. We were able to get a fully enclosed unit nearby until a the construction on another block of enclosed units becomes available at our longer term option.

Thank you for the help.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm, if a storage facility didn’t limit their liability to zero for hit and run they’d be run out of the business.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

take all food out. buy some peppermint oil put droplets every where inside outside keeps critters out.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the places in person.

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you've already found your spot but for anybody else still reading...

We store at home now but when we were at a lot, it was outdoors, but the manager lived at a house on site right next to the gate with his wife, he was a former full time RVer so he actually could help do repairs soemtimes, each tenant had a gate code only known to them to get both in and out, and they also had a lot of feral cats running around (no issues with mice). And of course good video surveillance.

Also having wide aisles was nice since the parking was tight.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT storage criteria
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.