Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Scenic Routes/Places to See in WY, ID, MT, SD & E. CO
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Scenic Routes/Places to See in WY, ID, MT, SD & E. CO

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

CO: Cheyenne,

That's in Wyoming. [emoticon]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Giving some thought to heading NW from Kansas for 10-14 days with our truck camper. Have tentative plans to visit Mt. Rushmore and possibly a 2-3 day stay at Yellowstone (reservations permitting; have noticed occasional cancellation openings). Other than that our plans are open.

Can anyone recommend any of their favorite scenic routes and/or places to visit in WY, ID, MT, SD, and eastern CO? Visited western CO last year.

Thanks!

IMHO - you need a LOT MORE TIME - or a lot Less States

SD - Go to Custer - see Rushmore at Night/Dusk - Wind and Emerald Caves NP - Sylvan Lake - Crazy Horse - Black Hills - Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway - Needles Highway - Iron Mountain Road - BadLands NP - Wall Drug - Custer State Park - Think that will take care of those Two Weeks.

Each of the other states you have mentioned, will deserve and require Equal or more time, Sorry but to just drive by or through these areas is just - IMHO not the way to Travel.

JMHO,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this link

50 Most Beautiful Highway Drives in America from Microsoft

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/us-trav........erica/ss-BBU658M?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U506DHP

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
374 Campgrounds,85K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1858 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't mind 10% grades, take hwy 14A in WY east to west (downhill) from Burgess Jct. to Lovell. Truly spectacular views. There are a few turnouts.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love driving through the Bighorn Mtns on 14A. It is not for the faint of heart but if you know how to drive in mountains, it is not bad.

I also love driving the Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph highway. The Lamar Valley in Yellowstone is a great place to do some critter watching. Last September me stopped in the Lamar for a couple of house and saw wolves, grizzly bears, moose, hundreds of bison and elk, and a few really nice mule deer.
We are going back to this area in September because I am suffering from withdrawal from seeing the mountains.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Tyler0215, Islandman, thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

JAC1982, we look at I25 as the east/west division point for CO. We've given some thought to visiting Pikes Peak. That's about as far west (into CO) as we want to go on this trip.

Yeah I can't suggest a whole lot that is east of I-25 that is worth visiting in CO... I mean I live out here and while I love my home and the area is nice, it's not "scenic" other than looking at the mountains from afar which you can do as you're driving up I-25 [emoticon]

In WY the list is endless as you are seeing. The Snowy Range/Medicine Bow National Forest outside of Laramie can be a nice detour if you're heading west on I-80 anyway. It's mostly Forest Service campgrounds so no hookups or anything, but there's a few small towns and it really is beautiful. Only open for a few months a year though because the snow melt takes until July then starts back up again in October.

I agree w/ the above Dubois suggestion, or on the other side of the mountains from there, the Pinedale area. Both are nice and not crowded like Jackson etc, just depends which roads you're taking [emoticon]

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many thanks to everyone for all the great tips and suggestions! Just had this 2-week vacation window open up a couple of days ago, so very little time to plan.

We did manage to make reservations for 2-3 days at Yellowstone yesterday.

Agree, Busskipper, there's no way we can do 4 1/2 states justice in 2-weeks. We'll take our time and enjoy each stop. If we only make it to 1 or 2, that's fine.

mockturtle/BarabooBob, see you both gave a thumbs up on Hwy 14A in WY. Any idea how this drive compares to the Million Dollar Hwy in CO in terms of grade and overall safety (guardrails or lack thereof)? We enjoyed the MDH, but if 14A is worse in this respect we'll probably pass--lol!

Lastly, looks like we'll be traveling late Aug - early Sep. Any chance of snow/ice going through any of these passes? Any chance we'll see any change of colors?

Thanks again!

* This post was edited 08/20/20 02:43pm by otrfun *

fanrgs

Mile High City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I loved driving US 14A, but I have a Ram diesel truck with an exhaust brake. People with gas engines tend to like it less! It is steep for much longer uphill and downhill grades than US 550 between Ouray and Silverton, which I have driven more times than I can remember in the past 50+ years. But 14A also has wider lanes, guard rails, and even some shoulders.

And we also enjoy the Beartooth Highway (US 212) between Red Lodge and Cooke City (but only without the trailer!) and the Chief Joseph Highway between Cody and Cooke City.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orfun: 14A is just very steep and winding. Not particularly scary in terms of drop-offs like the MDH.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven the MDH, 14A, and the Beartooht. 14A is definitely steeper and more twisty but the view is worth the drive. I drive an F150 with a 3500 lbs TT so I am loaded pretty light. Never had a problem with brakes or power. I love my EB3.5 It always thinks it is at sea-level and does not need screaming RPM's to produce power or torque.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Scenic Routes/Places to See in WY, ID, MT, SD & E. CO
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.