Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Installing an inverter in my Winndbago Journey
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Installing an inverter in my Winndbago Journey

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

warrenjo46 wrote:

EV2 wrote:

One consideration when plugging the shore power cord into the inverter is to turn off the 110 breaker for the converter/charger. If this is not done, the converter will attempt to charge the batteries that supply the inverter. This loop will either use excessive energy at a minimum or trip the inverter. We have labeled our 110 breakers for the converter charger and air conditioning and turn them off whenever plugging into the inverter. Works perfectly. Also may wish to avoid using the microwave.
(Highly recommend a pure sine wave inverter when doing this.)

Yes I did purchase a pure sine wave inverter (2500W).

I will install a normally closed relay in the power to the converter that will be energized to open when the inverter is turned on. That will prevent the converter from trying to charge the batteries with power drawn from the batteries.

My only problem with this plan is "where is the converter?"

After looking at several wiring diagrams and schematics I discovered that the converter is located under the refrigerator behind the grill that looks like the cold air return for the furnace. Since motorhomes are very compact manufacturers need to tuck devices into unexpected places.

With most of the newer coaches and not so new, the converter and inverter are compacted into one unit and usually in an outside bay near the batteries.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

consider that when using the inverter you wish to save as much power as possible. Having it power a relay may use about 12 watts.

If, on the other hand, you have shore power pull the relay closed, you save that 12 watts, when on the inverter. On shore power 12 watts is nothing. On battery power it is a lot.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Installing an inverter in my Winndbago Journey
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.