cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart attack question

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve never been around anybody that had a heart attack when I physically with them.

After 3 different tests Dr says I have blockage in heart but not enough blockages to install stents at present time. But the Dr did send me home with small bottle of nitro pills and instructions what to do. The Dr’s instructions sound real easy but in real life I’m wondering if it’s as easy as Dr says.

Question…(This probably varies person to person ) Could a heart attack hurt so much… I could be in so much pain that I forget or maybe physically can’t take the nitro pills.

Looking for any info that might help.

Thank you
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
17 REPLIES 17

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I saved my DH's life in spite of his denial he was having a heart attack. I heard him laboring to breathe in the middle of the night. I reached over an touched him...he was ice cold. I'd worked with 5 nurses and knew that HA's presented differently.

I literally had to trick him into chewing two aspirin...and get him in the car "to get checked out for the flu". Once we were on the road I called the ER and told them my DH was having a HA. He vehemently denied it, wanted to turn around and go home. He was missing his morning jog.

Once at the ER... he was checked out and immediately had a cath angiogram. Two major blockages in the widow maker. Two stents and 18 years later he's fine. The DR's said "we" caught it early and he sustained no damage. It took him a long time to realize he really did have a HA. Had he gone jogging...he would not have lived another hour.

"Stuff" happens. Now you know what you have and you can control many factors. I put DH on a very strict diet to lose weight and bring down his cholesterol. The China Study book is an excellent place to start. Cleveland Clinic in Ohio has an excellent program to reverse heart disease...or at least slow it down. Read "Forks over Knives". Really take a hard look at what you eat... Dr. Mark Hyman (Cleveland Clinic) and many other DR's say that food is medicine. Much of what is sold in grocery stores is poison. Literally chemicals.

I don't want to get on a soap box... I love an occasional DQ Blizzard... but even if you can't reverse the CAD...you can make changes that will help you.

I'd also get a second opinion from a CVI. Best wishes to you. CTS

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where you are, but you can also call the St.Thomas Heart Hospital in Nashville TN. or Vanderbilt hospital.
I am an 8 year heart survivor. I almost waited to long from a severe Widow-Maker I awoke at 4:00 am; I went back to go to sleep when I felt shoulder blade pain and went in to the living room and sat on my chair. I got some water and smoked a cigarette; after two puffs; I had trouble breathing and put it out. I still wasn't sure it was a Heart Attack and waited until about 6:20 am. I then felt some tingling in my biceps. I seen my supervisor was awake; so I called him.
We went to the hospital about 12 miles to a local hospital. We walked from the parking lot about 50 ft.; I got to the ER receptionist desk and just about collapsed try to set on the chair.
When he heard that I thought it was a heart attack; gave me my name; about a minute; they had me prepped. I got two 97%b stents on the left artery then. got me to ICU. The 85% right artery was done two days later.
The interventionist Dr. told me I had a severe Heart Attack and kept me in the ICU for 5 more days to make sure I was good enough to come home. I have quit smoking. I don't drink alcohol. The difficult part is eating since I do not go as much from this pandemic virus!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Rangerider wrote:
Good suggestions here. Suggest your wife carry a bottle of Nitro also. It never hurts to have a back-up.

Yes. My DH's doctor told me to carry them as well. And remember, these things have a relatively short life. If you don't replenish them periodically you will find nothing but powder when you open up the bottle. Fortunately, DH has never needed one. He actually had a heart attack with no chest pain. Heavy feeling in his legs and arms, but no pain.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, my eldest sister was told by her doctor that she had atherosclerosis and high blood pressure, and diabetes was kicking in on top of that. He said either change your diet and exercise, or go on insulin and BP meds. She read a book called "The China Study" and became convinced by what she read, so she switched to the whole foods, plant based diet that the authors recommend. I mean, she really stuck to it. Also started some modest exercise. In 8 months I think she'd lost over 40 lbs and her doctor gave her pretty much a clean bill of health... BP 100/60, cholesterol fine, heart is fine, arteries improved, blood sugar normal. She is in her late 70s.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both types. The first produced minor discomfort in my neck and jaw but not enough to stop me from what I was doing (running) or alert me to seek medical attention (didn't find out about the damage until years later). The second was the worst pain I've ever experienced and it happened while I was in the hospital getting an angiogram performed. I remained conscious, was in extreme pain but nothing I could do but lay on my back because when it happened I was still on the table with a catheter inside me (thru my groin up into one of the coronary arteries). The only thing preventing me from doubling up was the fear of death if I moved and that catheter and whatever they were using to guide in up through my arteries would tear up my insides. That pain lasted for hours and the only relief came when I got a shot of Fentanyl.

Everyone reacts differently to pain but in my mind the pain would be a memory enhancer to remember exactly what needed to do to stop it, unless it's one of those heart attacks that kills you in moments.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Heart attacks can be very mild, to debilitating. If the DR says not sufficient to install stents, then At sometime most likely you may feel a little chest pain, tightness. At the first sign of anything take one of the pills and stick it under your tongue. Which is probably what the DR suggested in perhaps a different way. After years of chest pains, a quad bypass in ‘98, two stents (one no longer working), I carry a bottle in my pocket or on a keychain all the time. They work well and quickly to quell the pain.

If one doesn't do it, my DR says try up-to three and then call 911.[/quote]

Same advice from my Dr.this seems to be the standard. Most Dr's will prescribe some type blood thinners, some times just an aspirin. I had stable angina for years & my questions always been how bad does it hurt before I go to the nitro?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Rjdreyer
Explorer
Explorer
There is a difference between a heart attack and CAD... I think you should get a 2nd opinion. I was told more or less the same thing after the stress test .. come back in a week and we will check to see if you need stents (cardiac angiography) to see how bad your blockage is... needless to say, the doctor stopped the procedure, called an ambulance, and the next day at the hospital had triple bypass. They definitely at least should do a cardiac angiography procedure to see how much blockage there is. I had 90% blockage in the main, 80% on another and 2 other blockages. After surgery, the Surgeon told me if I didn't come in when I did, I probably would have been gone in 60 days or less. Nothing to mess with. My heart is strong, but the arteries supposedly now have a 10 year life span.. but the Surgeon would not give me a warranty. 🙂

path1
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...
Thank you very much for the helpful responses.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Good info and advice here.

This is a great reminder to get CPR trained and to have your family and coworkers do the same. CPR/AED and first-aid training are a great way for you to help others, but the only way for you yourself to get help is to encourage others to take the training and stay current with it.

The training is quick and simple. Renew your training year after year when it expires (every two years?) to get up-to-date and also to relearn through repetition.

I can't stress enough how important continued training is. I've been trained in CPR for 45 years and the procedure has changed several times over the years. There will also be a lot of stress, adrenalin and panic going on so the more practice a person has, the better chance it will be second nature to them if the need arises.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestions here. Suggest your wife carry a bottle of Nitro also. It never hurts to have a back-up.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I have been near three people when they had a heart attack. At the office we had a fenced parking lot for the staff. Right on the other side of the fence line was a small house with a patio with chairs etc. this was about 50 feet from the back door of the office. An elderly man routinely had coffee in one of the chairs each morning. One morning I saw him walk out of the house and turn to sit in the chair. He dropped like a sack of potatoes. I was CPR trained. I spoke to the medical personnel who came to his aid and told them what i saw. I was told that he was dead when he hit the ground.

I also took my wife and father to the hospital as they were having heart attacks. Classic symptoms of chest discomfort, weakness, arm pain, etc.

Everyone is different, learn the signs, listen to doctors.

dedmiston
Good info and advice here.

This is a great reminder to get CPR trained and to have your family and coworkers do the same. CPR/AED and first-aid training are a great way for you to help others, but the only way for you yourself to get help is to encourage others to take the training and stay current with it.

The training is quick and simple. Renew your training year after year when it expires (every two years?) to get up-to-date and also to relearn through repetition.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate you wanting to get some actual experiential advise from your peers. And you have gotten some good advice.
As a person who experiences angina almost every day, my advice is to make a list of questions for your cardiologist, get an appointment for a consult.
If he/she doesn't have time for all your questions find a new one.

Jesseannie

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Some background.

I'm a former paramedic / rescue and I have had 4 heart attacks plus 5 vessel bypass surgery. I also can get chest pain on excertion. I absolutly hate going to the hospital as a patient. I see this issue from both sides.

First no two patients are the same regarding the amount of pain or ability to function. I have witnessed far to many patients saying nothing was wrong and as I'm watching the monitor thier heart stops.

My best advice to you is this simple rule.

If you experience any type of chest pain STOP what you are doing and try to sit down. Then take one nitro tablet under your tounge. If the pain gets worse call an ambulance and get help.

If the pain starts to subside after the 1st nitro but does not completly go away after 5 minutes take a second nitro.

They used to say three nitro 5 minutes apart and if still having pain call an ambulance. But in my experience if you need the 3rd nitro you should be checked out. So if after 2 and still pain I'd get help.

Again if at any time after taking the nitro the pain gets worse get help and don't wait.

I have learned to live with my heart issues and I know when to get help. For 80% of my chest pain I can get relief by simply stopping what I am doing and resting no need for the nitro. When I do need it I rarely get to 2 tablets.

My best advice is if you get chest pain and your not sure what to do please be smart and get help.

You can live a good life with heart issues you just have to be a little careful.

If you do end up needing stents don't worry to much about the procedure. The only discomfort is the local numbing shots in the area where they are going to insert the catheter. I have never felt the wires etc as they are inserted. You can get an overall body warmth when they inject the dye but that is about it.

I wish you well and hope things get better for you.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle