Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Oregon State Parks to add surcharge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Oregon State Parks to add surcharge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Mexico won't even let out of state people stay in the state parks right now. Different rules everywhere.

AFHauler

Sechelt, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TUCQUALA wrote:

ksg5000, WA parks DO NOT (at this time!!) charge "extra" to non-residents!! They have various levels according to services and seasons. There is a charge for the "Discover Pass" to access day use areas and some other parks, but it is not charged for or required when paying for a campsite. If you are an oldie, you probably remember the fee wars of the '70s and early '80s when a whole bunch of states charged extra for non-residents. It was Oregon that started the war!!!

When we made reservations last year to stay at Cape Disappointment State Park in Washington in December 2019 we were charged $5.00 as a "non-resident recreation fee". We have been charged this fee whenever we made a reservation in Washington for several years now.

H & P
2015 Arctic Fox 29L, 2016 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4

Geocache team: Afternoonshift

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

I am of the belief that the surcharge is to reduce the number of out of state campers coming into Oregon, as part of Covid 19 prevention.

Probably so - and I'm 100% behind that attempt. Besides I am tired of not being able to get into our own Parks, filled up with out of staters, while I pay the taxes to support those parks. Kudos to Oregon SP.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

New Mexico won't even let out of state people stay in the state parks right now. Different rules everywhere.

New Mexico won't even let New Mexicans stay in state parks, all state parks are closed to camping. They are allowing day use for residents and after a news story on out of state visitors they started checking ID on any out of state plates on all pass angers, no NM state ID no entry. This was primarily Elephant Butte state park, the largest lake in the state & most out of state where TX from El Paso area a couple hr drive. Summer holidays the lake swells to 125,000 in a town of under 2,000. The state requires 14 day quarantine for all out of state people, the exception is those passing trough can stay over night. RV parks are putting over nigters in a separate area from residents.

The park I am in right now has 3 sections, long term residents, weekly like myself (in the area on business) & over night. Meets all state requirements. Parks that are open are private run & not all have opened, no state park has camping currently.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

I am of the belief that the surcharge is to reduce the number of out of state campers coming into Oregon, as part of Covid 19 prevention.

Probably so - and I'm 100% behind that attempt. Besides I am tired of not being able to get into our own Parks, filled up with out of staters, while I pay the taxes to support those parks. Kudos to Oregon SP.

Ed,’the only “Tax” that goes OPRD is 60% of your Oregon RV registration “Fee”. The two other sources are user fees and lottery dollars.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

And just what will the extra fee do? Just another way to make money off of a pandemic that has been used line people’s pockets!

It will help with the shortfall of revenue from the shutdown. Or St parks have been doing quite well until the shutdown and reopening. It's time for those out of state that take in staters spots to anty up.

I believe the biggest issue isn’t out of staters, rather the people that live close by and book sites because they may want to use them. As an out of stater I would love to be able to see the beautiful NW states, but not if they are going to take advantage of me, since I’m already coming out there, spending money on gas and food!

Never bite the hand that feeds you!!!!!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TUCQUALA

Kennewick, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AFHauler, the $5 fee is only when making a reservation for non-residents. Many states have such. It is not added to the daily camping charge. Maybe a minor difference, but not like OR adding up to 30% per day for non-residents!! I believe that when we went into BC a few years ago, we had to pay non-resident fees at both Nat Parks and BC Provincial Parks.

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

AFHauler

Sechelt, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TUCQUALA wrote:

AFHauler, the $5 fee is only when making a reservation for non-residents. Many states have such. It is not added to the daily camping charge. Maybe a minor difference, but not like OR adding up to 30% per day for non-residents!! I believe that when we went into BC a few years ago, we had to pay non-resident fees at both Nat Parks and BC Provincial Parks.

We weren't complaining about the fee. It's a beautiful continent we all live in and we 'were' lucky to be able to enjoy it. Hopefully we can do it again soon.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

Oregon State Parks are going to add a "Virus Surcharge" to out of state folks.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/oregon-imposes-new-fee-for-out-of-state-campers

Maybe it would be better to go to the source.

OPRD our of state surcharge

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As someone who would have to pay that fee if traveling to Oregon, I think it's fair. I don't pay taxes in Oregon -- so why should Oregon taxpayers subsidize my recreation? And California universities certainly impose extra tuition for out of state students. So this practice, albeit discriminatory, is well-established.

Plus, frankly, the Oregon State Parks are usually much more nicely kept than those in California (which is where I live). Admittedly, "better than Calif" is a pretty low bar. [emoticon]

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Oregon State Parks to add surcharge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.