cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow vehicle in the shop

MandBontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We're brand new to RVing and on our second trip we drove our Dodge Ram to do some sight seeing leaving our 5th wheel at the camp site. While out for the afternoon our fuel pump "gave up the ghost" and we had to have it towed for repair. It should be fixed this afternoon and we'll be good to go. My question is what can you do if, for example, you break down on the side of the road while towing your 5th wheel? Besides having to tow your tow vehicle in for whatever repairs are needed, how do you "rescue" your 5th wheel trailer from being abandoned on the roadside?
31 REPLIES 31

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
To make 2 long stories short, let me just say never again will we consider GS ERS.....we have Coach Net.

In both cases, the GS operator was not much help and in the 2nd time she was totally incompetent. The second time we needed them we had found a local repair tech that was working on our trailer's issue for 2 hours before we got a call back from GS.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
What Cummins is referring to....

Not happy with GS

~

ZACTLY!

I call, I get ETA, I pay Tow Truck, I submit receipt to Ins Co, I get check in mail VERY quickly.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
What Cummins is referring to....

Not happy with GS

~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Have towing coverage on the truck AND 5er thru your Ins co, it's dirt cheap. If you need assistance call for it your self and get someone out there NOW!!! Depending on someone else is a CrapZ shoot!

Pay the bill and get reimbursed.

This. But depending on how much coverage your insurance policy covers, you still might need to have something like AAA.

But I can tell you, speaking from experience, you are MUCH better off calling around to find a tow if this happens than waiting for AAA/GS/any other service to send someone to rescue you. That can take hours.

I have heard too many stories of long waits.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I lost a water pump, belt, and crank sensor 4 years ago GS Roadside sent an old Ford 1 ton 7.3, and he towed the truck hooked to the camper to a rv park, dropped the 5th wheel, and took the truck to a dealer.
That is when I realized the 7.3 is the best diesel Ford ever made.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Have towing coverage on the truck AND 5er thru your Ins co, it's dirt cheap. If you need assistance call for it your self and get someone out there NOW!!! Depending on someone else is a CrapZ shoot!

This. But depending on how much coverage your insurance policy covers, you still might need to have something like AAA.

But I can tell you, speaking from experience, you are MUCH better off calling around to find a tow if this happens than waiting for AAA/GS/any other service to send someone to rescue you. That can take hours.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Anybody have AAA Tow Plan? I bought it, and they will bring out two trucks for your vehicle and trailer. Haven't had to use it.

I had an incident where my truck stalled (with 12k fiver in tow) about 2 miles from my house on the way home after driving 250 miles. I had lost overdrive in my trans but managed to get home (or so I thought). I pulled off the freeway at my exit and stopped for the light. The torque converter for some reason decided to lock up and stay locked. The engine stalled and multiple attempts to get it going failed. There I was - stuck at an offramp traffic light just 2 miles from home. So, I called AAA because I have their towing coverage. I explained the situation and they told me they dispatched the local towing company. They didn't mention anything about 2 trucks. In fact, they didn't even send one truck. After sitting there for at least 20 minutes with no one showing up or calling, I called AAA back and told them I needed someone there ASAP. After I hung up, I decided to give it one more shot and - lo and behold - the TC unlocked and I was able to shift into gear and drive the 2 miles home. On the way, AAA called back apologizing for the delays. I told them to cancel the call.

One previous incident I was not towing and the fuel pump failed leaving me on the side of the freeway. I called AAA and they asked me what kind of vehicle, etc. After about 1/2 hour the driver arrived and looked at my truck and said it was too heavy for him. So I was stuck there for another 1/2 hour waiting for a bigger truck to arrive.

Yes, I got home in both cases. But, the experiences were anything but painless.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

tkd01
Explorer
Explorer
quote MandBontheroad - While out for the afternoon our fuel pump "gave up the ghost" and we had to have it towed for repair. It should be fixed this afternoon and we'll be good to go.

I sure hope the RAM is not a 19 or 20 model or you are in for a big surprise on that fuel pump.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
Anybody have AAA Tow Plan? I bought it, and they will bring out two trucks for your vehicle and trailer. Haven't had to use it.

As I understand it, AAA doesn't have representatives in every region so if you get stranded in one of those places they cannot help you. I do not have AAA so may be way off base since it is some time that this was discussed here. Might be worth asking them if there are any places in the country where they would not be able to help you should you need it.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a fuel pump go on my Chevy on the way camping, luckily we were 6 miles from the campground. State Farm sent a wrecker for the truck, and I called coach.net, and gave them the number of the wrecker getting the truck, so they just called the save guy and had him tow the camper to the campground. Worked out super easy.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I posted this some time ago but it is still valid today.
My stupid mistake and how GS came through.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

x2

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Coach-Net since late 2010. With our former truck I had to use them twice. Each time they towed both truck and trailer, dropping the trailer at a campground of my choice. They've also changed three tires that had either blown, or were getting ready to, on my RV. Just a few days ago my new to us truck blew a transmission line coupler. We weren't towing at the time and we were close to home but I called Coach-Net for the tow. They made all the arrangements and, while the tow was in process, called to make sure all was going well. She also informed me that I just had the Basic membership which actually covers the truck only while towing our RV. That was my error. However, they stood behind the tow and covered everything. I subsequently upgraded my membership to the Premium status. I'm not knocking any of the other services, but I've sure had good experience with Coach-Net. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg