cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full time solar, maybe?

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
i have been thinking to go solar with my 29' Cougar 5th wheel.
ok, maybe day dreaming would be a better term.
i figure that i if i can make things run on a 2900W generator, why can't it work on a 2900W solar array.
i do not like the idea of drilling thru the roof to mount the panels.
i envision several panels on racks down both sides of the trailer attached near the top of the side walls. they hang verticle when rolling. they flip out like awnings when stationary. i think i can mout 2000 Watts on the slide out alone. i see what i believe to be perfect mount points around the perimeter of the exterior wall of the slide.
i wonder if anybody has any familiarity with how much weight i mite be able to load the electric motors that move the slide with?
2000W would be 12 panels plus hardware.
not looking to make the slide immovable.

any thoughts?

D~~~!
40 REPLIES 40

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
its a very impressive system. definitely worth a look!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
not the OP, but it's in the same group, just a couple posts up from here ...

https://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30124420.cfm
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
and yet u didn't share a link to get there?

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
servitrike wrote:
i would like to see pics of that layout. must be a whole loota roof top.

Didn't want to hitchhike this thread so I started a new one with some pics.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
servitrike wrote:
am i correct in understanding that in a solar set up, everythin runs off a DC battery(yeah, like there is an AC battery) thru an inverter. and the goal of the solar array is to supply a DC charge to resupply the batteries at a rate, equal to and well above the recharge rate of the batteries, so as to power the required devices while recharging the batteries?
basically yes. Consider that for high power systems you are better to design around higher voltage such as 24, 48 for increased efficiency and reasonable sized wires.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's one of the largest RV solar system. I'd be interested in knowing more.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
i would like to see pics of that layout. must be a whole loota roof top.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2400 watts on the roof along with a big lithium battery and 4000 watt inverter. Ran the AC all day since 10am here in Utah. Also cooked dinner, water heater, coffee machine, Ice maker, TV, chest freezer.

Big systems are expensive but who wants to listen to a generator all day? Not your camping neighbors and where we stay there are often restricted hours to use them.

Holes in roof? meh, just seal them properly.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hence if a inverter is being used it's just another load on the batteries assuming of course that you're not on shore power. And depending upon many possible variations.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
servitrike wrote:
am i correct in understanding that in a solar set up, everythin runs off a DC battery(yeah, like there is an AC battery) thru an inverter. and the goal of the solar array is to supply a DC charge to resupply the batteries at a rate, equal to and well above the recharge rate of the batteries, so as to power the required devices while recharging the batteries?
Inverters change DC to AC, I think you mean solar controller or Charge Controller or CC.

CCs supply DC power (amps if you like) which is first used for house loads and if any amps remain they charge the battery. If the house amps exceed the CC capacity then the additional amps come from the battery.

Bob

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
thank u. i will make a point of checking all the details in ur thread.
but i just got home from a work day in the sun and the beer has clouded my focus. so i will not be reading ur thread in detail today.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
servitrike wrote:
i would think mounting above the roof AC would bring in heights limitations. and maybe make some accessiblity issues with other stuff up there.
Good points and clearance should always be checked before adding anything on the roof. 1" above my A/Cs would place the panels at 12' 6" which leaves plenty of clearance. Access is a minor issue - remove 2 bolts and tilt the panel up or 4 bolts and move it. All of my panels have MC4 connectors so wiring is a non issue.

My panels are about 6" above the roof and just below the A/C's as seen here. In my case the Fantastic Fan is not accessable. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28119528.cfm

Bob

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
i would think mounting above the roof AC would bring in heights limitations. and maybe make some accessiblity issues with other stuff up there.