cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing RV while traveling

joedekock
Explorer
Explorer
Curious what others do when it comes time to washing their RV while on the road. (Motor home, fiver, TT). A lot of campgrounds do not allow washing your unit on the site, and a lot of campgrounds don't have the means to anyway. I know some folks who camp at campgrounds where it is allowed, but its not in all cases. Driving hundreds or thousands of miles on the road dirty's the RV and I would like to wash it before parking it on a campsite for a week.

Fire away with suggestions and experiences. Thanks!
2019 Silverado 1500
2020 Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE
Me, Wife, 5 kids, and a Doodle
38 REPLIES 38

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We full time and we've been able to stay at JUST enough
locations that allow us to wash the RV. Typically have to pay $10 do do so.... If we're at a location that doesn't allow washing, I use a dry wash product. Too cheap to pay somebody and fortunately my rig looks good at this point
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

MrWizard
There are several self service car washers around here, the closest one 1.x miles has a high bay with catwalks for doing large vehicles, that's where I take my Bounder
It has spray wash and long handle wash brush,
Brush wash then spray to rinse, Not necessary to spray along window caulking with high pressure, to get a good rinse, by the time I've finish washing 36 ft of MH,it cost $12-$15, Brush washing takes longer than using high pressure spraying, so more quarters in the money box, and it's about $3 a pop for 8 minutes?, been a few months , time to go again, it's dry for the rainy season and mother nature isn't washing it for me
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
The ‘South of the Border’ campground in Dillon, South Carolina has a self-service car wash with two RV bays, one of which seemed big enough for most motorhomes, IIRC. The ‘resort’ is fashionably tacky, at best, but it’s close to I-95, fairly inexpensive and located at just about the right stopping point when I head south. I’m in a Class B, so it’s a bit easier for me ($2), but the RV wash comes in handy after driving through winter snow or slush.
2013 RT 190-Popular

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
West of Kingman,Az washed and waxed, hand dried including the roof $65.00 but last time they charged me $75.00.
however this last time they damaged the right side middle mirror and it does not work remotely now.
Depending on how persnikety you are you will not be ever pleased with anyone else's work especially afer they do something like that.
if You are able do it yourself. Buy brushes and arms longer than you think you will need. My shoulders and back can tell you why.
I would wash as wife rinsed one side at a time and we dried it before going to the other sides. Big towel on long brush wipes good. We tried to do it before the dew dried.After finishing that workout you are ready for some excitement if you don't collapse. A Five mile run but with brushes and pads.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The most expensive campground we stay at doesn't allow owners to wash their rigs but there are plenty of companies on sight to make our rigs look like new.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
While camped at the KOA in St Mary Montana, I asked the manager if I could wash the 2500 miles of dirt an squashed bugs off my class C. He walked over, looked at the RV then sent 2 staff members over with ladders and hoses and had them help me wash the RV down. No charge, he must have felt sorry for us LOL. I gave the boys a nice tip!!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

cowolter
Explorer
Explorer
We take sponge baths, use showers at campgrounds that have them, but mostly use the hot water shower we built into our '97 econoline conversion van

printsbery

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
sucsun bucket

What is this bucket you speak of?

suction sticks in place

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bigred1cav wrote:
sucsun bucket

What is this bucket you speak of?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I've given a lot of thought on how to wash the RV while traveling.

I have devised a way to secure my wife the roof with a suction bucket and a sponge by the time we get to Phoenix she should have the top completed.

I have yet come up with the solution to have her wash the side and front while in motion.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
First I waxed my camper with ZEP acrylic floor wax. It sheds dirt and water remarkably well. In fact so well I never get those black streaks that used to occur in numerous locations on the camper.

My last trip was 4 months and 15000 miles so ZEP or not, the camper could use a wash at least once or twice during that period. I have never had any problem finding a coin op car/truck wash with sufficient height to accommodate my camper.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some that have a no washing policy do allow an approved vendor to come in and do the work for you.
Ask at the office.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems to make a difference of when you ask for some CGs. Weekdays when they are not busy is better to get a positive response.

They all want you to arrive looking like you just came from the showroom.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
When I leave Minnesota in January or February heading for warm weather, the roads can be pretty sloppy. I don't want to spend my winter vacation looking at a filthy rig, I like it to be all sparkly clean and shiny. I have used the tall bay self serve, and the full service truck/RV washes. No way will I do the self service again, uness I'm desperate. I burned thru almost as much $$ as the full service, and got all wet, and the full service does a nicer job and is quicker. I've paid anywhere from $20 - $55.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.