cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at this 99 Safari Trek deisel

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone familiar with these? Is this engine in the front? I've only had gassers so I'm pretty much in the dark about the pros and cons of deisels lIke this. I'd imagine it's no quieter than a gas motor in the front.Coach looks pretty nice from what I can see.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1999-Safari-TREK-2830-DSL-5013436141
18 REPLIES 18

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, on the 1999 P30, you had the choice of the VORTEC 454 or the GM 6.5 diesel.

Not even close-- the VORTEC 454 is superior.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I have a orphan never had a issue. I even have a red headed step child for a engine in it.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Teleman wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
chast wrote:
PS—I just checked it out—GO FOR IT! Price is good and there have been many improvements. Coach looks in great condition. Alloy wheels have been added, new toilet, etc. Sounds like a deal to me!
l
Can't see more than $12500 for putting into a non slide old coach and that's after researching the diesel that's in it. If it might be troublesome, one could put easily put another 12,500 in it.

I'd pay the asking price if it had a gas motor. I inquired about this diesel on Trek Tracks and was convincing warned off it. I do not want a slide out BTW.

Gas would probably be a better option with this coach.
As for no slides, that's fine and to each his own, but then why pay for something that you don't want and aren't getting?
Keep in mind that slide rooms are the most expensive add on there is to any coach, indicating their popularity.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
chast wrote:
PS—I just checked it out—GO FOR IT! Price is good and there have been many improvements. Coach looks in great condition. Alloy wheels have been added, new toilet, etc. Sounds like a deal to me!
l
Can't see more than $12500 for putting into a non slide old coach and that's after researching the diesel that's in it. If it might be troublesome, one could put easily put another 12,500 in it.

I'd pay the asking price if it had a gas motor. I inquired about this diesel on Trek Tracks and was convincing warned off it. I do not want a slide out BTW.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
chast wrote:
l
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

chast
Explorer
Explorer
chartrue2@aol.com

chast
Explorer
Explorer
Hi—we had a ‘98 Trek and it was, by far, the best built motorhome we ever owned! Our was a gasser, but a good friend had the same one with a diesel. The diesel in the one in question is a GM 6.5 which is the same one the friend had. Read the reviews for this engine, and, if you can live with what the naysayers say, then make your decision. Another factor to consider is the increased cost of diesel maintenance. Personally, I would not hesitate to seriously consider this motorhome for purchase—I don’t think you can go wrong! Good luck!
chartrue2@aol.com

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go this website, check in, and ask about this coach. You may find that someone there knows all about it and it's history. Trek Trax group

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
just fyi..that safari trek is an orphan.

There are a LOT of orphans that are still exceptional quality motorhomes, and there's been a lot of fruitbasket turnover regarding names. Remember when Holiday Rambler was one of the top quality brands? Now it's just another middle-of-the-road REV group product. Plus, IMO, the newer Monaco Treks (also REV group) can't really be compared with the ones built by Safari when it comes to quality.

BTW, Thor is part of the REV group, if that tells you anything.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
CLICKY

The fact that it's an orphan would not bother me. But, like Bruce Brown stated, do your research.

Bruce_Brown
I'd do some real research on the engine in it. I believe, and I could be wrong, that has a GM 6.5 diesel in it.

I'd check reviews for power, longevity, as well as parts availability.

If you're good with what you find the Trek was a neat little motorhome.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
navigator2346 wrote:
Treks are a neat RV. They have a lot of good features packed into a small package. Coaches are well made and there is a large following. There are a number of Trek clubs that gather and there is a lot of information available thru them. There is a Trek gathering in Quartzsite every year, this year there was almost 200.

The front end diesel might be a bit noisier than a gasser but the the difference in MPG would be worth it.

I assume it performs better than a gas motor in the hills. Any idea the make and model of the motor? I emailed the seller but haven't heard back from him yet.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Teleman wrote:
What does that mean?

safari went bust and was bought by monaco rv. then they went bust. just wanted to make you aware. safari had an excellent rep for quality.

I understand.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dad had a Safari from the 1990s and really liked it.