cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 95 though Idaho November

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We live in WA and have taken just about every southbond road there is and pretty sick of all of them. What about Hwy 95 through Idaho in November. We have a Class B so no issue with that but just wondering what the road is like, and if there are any must see stops along the way.
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Two steep down grades. One just north of Lewiston, one north of White Bird. This route will send you through the slide area.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Actually we were planning on taking I9O, stopping at Potholes, by Othello for a few days and then snaking around and picking up 95 around Moscow. I should have been more explicit. As we have no schedule, we can hole up in Moscow if the weather turns on us.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Paulj: Good point about northern end of OPs planned route.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Slide is up by Riggins, ID. OP plans on going south from I-84 the way I understand it. Slide is north of I-84 like 100 miles.

You may know more about the OP than is obvious from the post, but I don't see any mention of I84 or first passing through Oregon. So I assumed they were thinking picking up 95 further north, such as Spokane or Lewiston.

US95 south of I84 remains of Idaho for only 60 miles (out of a total of 500). I was going to say that's pretty flat, but I see from the map it has a 1000 ft climb over a ridge. When I drove to Jordan Valley some years ago I went through Succor Creek, bypassing that part of US95.

In terms of road conditions, weather related or grades, it's the central part of US95 that should be of most concern. The main grades pass in and out of the Snake and Salmon River valleys.

One spring when I vacationed in the Idaho mountains, the main state park at McCall didn't open until after Memorial Day due to lingering snow. That's somewhat higher than US95 at NewMeadows. Later we encountered snow flurries at Lost Trail pass on US93.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Slide is up by Riggins, ID. OP plans on going south from I-84 the way I understand it. Slide is north of I-84 like 100 miles.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
US 95 open during daylight hours.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/08/temporary-road-around-us-95-now-open-during-daylight-hours-after-rock-slides/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OPs portion is south of damaged area.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure 95 is open. It probably will be by November, but it has needed major surgery this year - there was a HUGE rockslide about a month ago which closed the entire road for a week or so. They have been working on it, as it's the only way to get from some towns to other places in Idaho.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most people will say there is nothing out there. That's because they look but do not see.
Be ready for some snow.

elwood58
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken our Boulder over that route twice. Both times northbound. Make sure things are tied down well.
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Good two lane highway. November can be hit and miss on weather. Watch weather reports for your travel time. We cut off just into Idaho near Fruitland and stay away from Boise area. Watch your fuel gauge after before leaving Marsing area southbound.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow