cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
OK, we were out in the trailer cleaning after a trip and forgot to turn the gas off for the heater. Propane ran out and don't know if the ignitor tried to keep things going so now I find out today I have no ignitor so now it won't light. Electric side works fine. Any ideas? Did I kill the board? Did I kill the ignitor? I tried pushing the reset buttons too and no movement on them. Its a Suburban gallon.
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Modern LP thanks have an Excess Flow Feature. LIkely when you first reconnected the tanks you opened the valves too fast and tripped it.
Open till you hear gas flow pause and continue from there SLOWLY after 1 minute till full open works best.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Everything is OK. Fiddled with the connections to make sure no corrosion and disconnected the LP tanks, reconnected LP tanks and flipped the switch and it lit off.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you run out of gas it will try to relight (Assuming it runs out when lit) and if it fails it will try again, and if it fails it will try again, then it will shut down, lock out and fire up ye old FAULT (or Check) light.

Turn off. count to 1 turn back on. Should be good to heat. (NO guarantees)
In some cases. especially trailers you may get some air in the line. if this happens the heater should Try, fail, Try and succeed but if the lines are long and big enough there is a possibility it may go into fault one time.

Finally when you open the tank valve after refilling. Opening too fast can cause a safety device to engage and limit gas flow below the heater's need.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When the WH ran the LP empty, the Ignitor tried for 3 attempts and then shut OFF. You did not destroy the Circuit board by running out of LP. Did the WH have water in its tank when it stayed running? Doug

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as there was water in the tank, I don't think there would have been any problem?

If the pilot blew out during travel, the igniter would have just tried to light after about a dozen tries and then the solenoid should have shut off the gas and then you should see a check light for the WH.

The gas 'should' not have kept flowing with no flame... If it did, then you have more problems with the system..

Since gas does not seem to work now, I can't really say? There are a fuse or 2 in the WH compartment itself?

Dunno... But, good luck with it! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.