cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Horn Mountains (Sheridan/Buffalo WY)

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Just planning for a future trip, so nothing emergent. Does anybody have favorite spots for the Big Horn Mountains in WY? We are 34' long and 13'5" tall. Hookups or no hookups, doesn't matter to us, we like to boondock. Main concerns are having space between campers, so majority of traditional RV parks are less than ideal for us but will do in a pinch. Ideally, 20-30' of space between campers if in a traditional park as we have dogs.

Thanks in advance!
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
17 REPLIES 17

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We did not get to stop on our return from Yellowstone, but I made a point to take US-14 from Greybull to Ranchester, for an night stop in Sheridan. (We wanted to stop at Sibley Lake, but could not get in.)

Not a noticeable difficult road with a gas powered pickup pulling a near 40' long trailer.

Frankly, much better road and shoulders in many places - much better than CA-36 from Red Bluff to US-101.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horsedoc wrote:
There is a neat looking (we have never stayed there) on 16 in Ten Sleep called the Ten Sleep RV Park, oddly enough. I would stay there if our timing worked out right.

https://www.tensleeprvpark.com/index.html

We stayed there 20+ yrs ago and still talk about what a great little town Ten Sleep is. Had a blast hanging out there. It's on our list to go back.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

rmnpcolorado
Explorer
Explorer
Curious - is the Burgess RV Dump Station near Sibley Lake still in operation?
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Max Tow
2023 Riverside RV Intrepid 240BHi

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
katleman, thatโ€™s one of many reasons that we call this area home! Our little piece of paradise doesnโ€™t look like that.....but, the trip to beauty is pretty short! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
We have used two FS campgrounds in the Bighorns and loved both.
Tie Flume Campground

Highly recommend Tie Flume.

At the risk of making it harder for me to stay there in the future, here are photos ๐Ÿ™‚

Last one involved a climb, before drones.
Visted via RV

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I took a Class C built on Toyota one ton down 14A. Using first gear I rarely had to touch the brakes. I now have a TT and F150 and ocassionally have to apply the brakes. The EcoBoost may pull like a big engine going up but it is still a 3.5L V-6 going down so the engine braking is not as good. I still had no problem with going down that grade. It is one of my favorite roads in the entire country.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
No, I would not recommend it for most RVs as it's 10% grade and hairpin curves. But if you get a chance to drive it in a toad or TV, it's worth the trip.
We went down 14A with our trailer and I barely touched the brake pedal. That is what low gears and an automatic diesel exhaust brake were designed for.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
Thanks everyone! We'd be coming from Denver area so we would be coming up I-25. Some nice ideas here, I'm tempted to pack a tent and just go at it alone here soon ๐Ÿ™‚ As mentioned steep grades don't bother us, but roads that are too windey do. So perhaps 14a isn't the best bet while towing.

Below is a picture of the sign at Burgess Junction that shows both 14 and 14a between there and Cody. FYI, the steep 10% grade on 14a is beyond Bald Mountain campground so no issue with towing that far. The section of 14 between Dayton and Burgess Junction is not shown, but is similar to the grade and curves on the west side of 14 to Shell.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we have a favorite--USFS Sibley Lake campground on US 14. Electric hookups and water, but no dump. Nice, long, well-spaced, back-in spaces under the pines, very clean pit toilets, nice lake with good trout fishing, hiking/snowmobile trails, cool nights. What more could you want?

You can see a couple of my photos of our campsite on campgroundreviews.com.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a neat looking (we have never stayed there) on 16 in Ten Sleep called the Ten Sleep RV Park, oddly enough. I would stay there if our timing worked out right.

https://www.tensleeprvpark.com/index.html
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! We'd be coming from Denver area so we would be coming up I-25. Some nice ideas here, I'm tempted to pack a tent and just go at it alone here soon ๐Ÿ™‚ As mentioned steep grades don't bother us, but roads that are too windey do. So perhaps 14a isn't the best bet while towing.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
if you make it over the hill indian campground in buffalo is a nice park. easy off and on the freeway

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a couple of miles from Burgess Junction is a really nice place to camp at coordinates 44ยฐ48'25.6"N 107ยฐ33'17.5"W We have stayed at this location several times. In the middle of the night we have seen wolves, muleys, elk, and moose. We rarely have any neighbors in the area.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at both Bald Mountain and Sitting Bull in summer and got the last site in both instances. Very popular! I also drove my Tiger down 14A and the scenery was truly awe-inspiring. No, I would not recommend it for most RVs as it's 10% grade and hairpin curves. But if you get a chance to drive it in a toad or TV, it's worth the trip. There are viewpoints along the way.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8